F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: Margie]
      #43026 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:32 PM

Hey guys,
not posted a whole bunch recently but heres my two pennies worth on Emily. I for one largely agree with the NHC forecast at present - especially on track. I think she will pass just to the SW of Jamaica, then just to the south of Grand Cayman on the weekend. After that it is a tough call. I reckon we will still see a Yucatan crossing, but how far north along the peninsula is another matter. Given how well she has organised in the past 12 to 18 hours, and the excellent satellite presentation, i can see no reason for her not to get stronger. There is an evident CDO which i think we will see open into an eye within the next few hours. Certainly one for everyone around the centrala and western caribbean to be watching closely.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: Rich B]
      #43028 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:36 PM

If Emily slows down somewaht I can see the UKMET and Canadian models coming to fruition and Emily crossing the Yucatan straits and perhaps onto Texas. It is too early to see this though- but it may come to pass.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
something else on evacuations [Re: Margie]
      #43029 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:36 PM

My other brother, the one who works for the sheriff's dept, said that when the curfew was lifted before everyone returned who had evacuated because of Dennis, there was a rash of burglaries in those unoccupied homes; between 30 and 40 burglaries. Actually a real incentive for some not to evacuate in the future. This is in part because people have to travel so far now to evacuate, especially along the MS Gulf Coast. Hotel rooms in Hattiesburg, Jackson, and Montgomery are long gone by the time these folks have to evacuate.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

drcrazibob
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Daytona Beach, Fl
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: Rich B]
      #43030 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:38 PM

I obviously am not a weather expert, but out of curiousity... what would happen if the storm crosses into the pacific? Is that possible, and if so what would they do about its name?

Bob

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: drcrazibob]
      #43031 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:42 PM

1996-Hurricane Cesar (7/25-28) crossed Central America and became "Douglas" in the eastern Pacific, the strongest major hurricane in that basin during 1996. Cesar and Dolly (8/19-23) killed at least 65 people in Central America and Mexico

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: Lysis]
      #43032 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:43 PM

i didnt say the cone of death would make people leave. i just said they should take precautions if they are in the cone especially 3 days out or less.

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: nl]
      #43033 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:50 PM

and bout the cat. 6 i didnt mean there is a such thing im just saying they could be a super hurricane one day that would have higher winds then a cat 5 therefore they would have too have a cat 6

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
      #43034 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:55 PM

Category 5 has no upper limits; it's anyything with wind in excess of 155 MPH.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #43035 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:03 PM

ok so then a super 5

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #43036 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:09 PM

You're missing the point.

They're rated by windspeed because of the damage that certain speed winds can cause.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D1.html

Accordingly, anything beyond 155 will continue to cause catastrophic damage. There's no need for a "super 5" because a 156 mph storm and a 220 mph storm will each cause catastrophic damage.

Until there are new advancements in building design and structural integrity, there's not going to be a need for a 6.

When we get to the point when a "cheap" house survives 200 mph winds and 20+ foot storm surge, drop a line to the NHC - I'm sure they'll consider it then

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
      #43037 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:21 PM

Yawn..........uh, oh...what's new? Looks like outside of Tex/Mex all's quiet. If Emily behaves anyhow. 99L still a concern for development but the question is does it continues westward. Nice wave behind 99L has cleared the CV Islands may develop down the road. Other than that, all's quiet on the eastern side of central Florida today, and most everywhere else in the CONUS.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: tpratch]
      #43038 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:24 PM

If you are curious, see hurricane Mitch... Camille... Typhoon Tip. All had winds over 185mph at their peaks and insane low pressures to boot. However, as has been said... 155 sustained is more than enough to completly destroy most structures that we can craft, so it is kind of like adding insult to injury.

--------------------
cheers

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
hurricane names [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #43039 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:24 PM

Here is the list of all the names:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Upon reading your post on Cesar becoming Douglas, the following extremely silly thought occured to me: someday a "he" might cross into the Pacific and become a "she," or vice versa.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: Lysis]
      #43040 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:32 PM

What we saw with Isabel is the breakdown of the eyewall into a number of mesovortices. They are pretty cool to watch, but not exactly the easiest things to model or understand dynamically.

Essentially, when the system gets wrapped up too tightly, the eyewall can breakdown into these vortices. Essentially, the eyewall is a sheet of what we call vorticity -- cyclonic spin. If the conditions are right, as they sometimes are with very intense storms, the eyewall can become barotropically unstable (what that exactly means is a matter which could take awhile to explain due to the math, but focus on the unstable part), leading to its spin-up into a number of vortices. This is where the mesovortices seen with Isabel arose from.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: Clark]
      #43042 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:40 PM

Mesovorticies was the word I was thinking that day; remember the question about Andrew?

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Cancun Weather Watcher

Reged:
Gilbert 1988 [Re: Keith234]
      #43043 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:43 PM

Wondering if it is just me, but doesnt look Emily very much like Gilbert in 1988

Any thoughts??

Worried here in Cancun

Cheers

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Gilbert 1988 [Re: Cancun Weather Watcher]
      #43044 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:48 PM

From yesterday:
I feel the ultimate path will be determined by which way it goes by Jamaica. Looking a visible satellite we see the gulf devoid of any signifcant convection meaning that a large ridge has built there. The latest model run's of the GFDL and GFS seem highly likely given the steering regime. I would consider the NOGAPS or even the WRF solution right now even though that is generally not considered a synoptic model. The GFDL takes it over Jamaica which as we have seen in the past doesn't work, especially with a small tight strong circulation that is forecasted to near the area. Either way I think the BOC is a likely place for it to end up at the end of the forecast period. The biggest area that should be concerned in U.S should be Texas right now.

My thoughts from yesterday are the same today.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #43045 - Thu Jul 14 2005 04:48 PM

Thought I would put this link up for anyone that cares to check the track verification from all models and NHC.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/at200505.asp?imgfeature=verification&textfeature=track

For a different storm, where it says at200505, just type in 01, 02, 03, 04 etc etc where ending 05 is

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Gilbert 1988 [Re: Cancun Weather Watcher]
      #43046 - Thu Jul 14 2005 05:01 PM

Quote:

Wondering if it is just me, but doesnt look Emily very much like Gilbert in 1988

Any thoughts??

Worried here in Cancun

Cheers

I am former Playa Del Carmen local,and I hate to say it but right now it does not look good for you guys.They are pretty confident it will hit near or at Cancun/Playa Del Camen.It does look alot like Gilbert.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Gilbert 1988 [Re: Keith234]
      #43047 - Thu Jul 14 2005 05:03 PM

Yes, as far as the US is concerned, its either Texas or bust for Emily. 99L is getting a bit better organized today (yes, its still on the NRL backup site). Convection is starting to fire around the circulation near 15.8N. This one continues to move is a general WNW motion.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54756

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center