F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Hurricanes provide a needed function
      #43415 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:20 PM

Saw on TWC that hurricanes are like global air conditioners - taking heat from the tropics and drawing it up into the polar regions. True?

If so we wouldn't want to find a way to reduce their intensity so much as a way to try to steer them. That's probably not possible given we're talking about forces on a global scale - right?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Hurricanes provide a needed function [Re: Margie]
      #43419 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Saw on TWC that hurricanes are like global air conditioners - taking heat from the tropics and drawing it up into the polar regions. True?

If so we wouldn't want to find a way to reduce their intensity so much as a way to try to steer them. That's probably not possible given we're talking about forces on a global scale - right?

I tend to agree with that. Looking at the dynamics of hurricanes, they also expel a lot of heat energy into the upper Troposphere and more northern latitudes. They certainly appear to be a balancing mechanism (climatologically speaking) on a global scale. I feel that it would be unwise to attempt to reduce their intensity. Like the saying, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."

--------------------
Michael

PWS

angelswatch
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Loc: FL
Re: Hurricanes provide a needed function [Re: MichaelA]
      #43430 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:07 PM

Could outer rain bands from Emily effect Florida? It looks as if they could on this.
http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_05/anis.html

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Israel
      #43431 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

They are very much so needed. They clean the environment. They bring new life by carrying seeds in its winds and waves. They, by the upwelling from the energy being sucked up, essentially recycle the old water and bring the new, cleaner water from the deeps. Hurricanes should never be attempted to weaken because of the sheer environmental affects it could cause.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Hurricanes provide a needed function [Re: angelswatch]
      #43433 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:13 PM

Well, there is a surge of moisture spreading from SE to NW over the state as an indirect result of Emily. That will enhance our normal afternoon thunderstorms. As to feeder bands, no.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #43543 - Sun Jul 17 2005 12:57 AM

Very much true, Margie. They play a crucial role in maintaining the Earth in energy balance, keeping the tropics from overheating and the poles from being frigid. They make up about 30% of the total heat transport between the midlatitudes/polar regions & tropics, and as such do provide some benefit (beyond what they take away). There's a post lying around here somewhere that I went into a bit more detail with the other day.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

marine4003

Reged: Sat
Loc: myrtle beach SC
Re: Hurricanes provide a needed function [Re: Clark]
      #44995 - Sat Jul 23 2005 04:36 PM

Being the consensus seems to be attempting to steer or otherwise hinder them whould be insane, how about the feasability of harnessing there energy?Now that whould be an incredable power source,imagine wind turbines that whould withstand 150MPH winds for up to 24 hours and a means of storing the energy. At least enough to have stand by power considering the Grid is always knocked out for up to 2 weeks, i'll bet it'll work better than my Honda Generator and be far less noisey.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Hurricanes provide a needed function [Re: marine4003]
      #45008 - Sat Jul 23 2005 04:49 PM

In Somalia, there is this mountain pass that focuses a lot of wind energy from the Indian Ocean monsoon (think of it as a giant backwards S, with the bottom part of that feeding directly towards Somalia) into a narrow region. Wind speeds here can easily reach 150-200mph.

Before things turned for the worse down there, many scientists advised the leaders of that nation to place wind turbines there and harness the energy, both for their own needs and to sell. Unfortunately, they did not; it's not why they have been in such dire straits since then, but could have helped prevent them from getting there.

Harnessing a storm's energy has some feasibility behind it, but meshing out the technology and making sure the parts don't break under such conditions both still need to be worked out. Cost is probably a concern initially as well, but if located in the primary hurricane strike zones, could have some cost-benefits in the long run. It's an interesting idea, to say the least...

--------------------

marine4003

Reged: Sat
Loc: myrtle beach SC
Re: Hurricanes provide a needed function [Re: Clark]
      #45130 - Sun Jul 24 2005 04:29 AM

, Yes , the construction of the turbines themselfs , that is a question i posed to my foreman, who incidently, had a degree from Cal Tec,, he promptly fired back" well, the C-130's can handle a storm cant thay" my question is: is it the same thing? or being that an airplane is a mobile platform will it be subject to the same conditions as a land based platform?

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Hurricanes provide a needed function [Re: marine4003]
      #45148 - Sun Jul 24 2005 12:46 PM

Different requirements for land vs. air, but if it can handle air flight, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle land operations. But, the turbines for these wind generators would have to be much larger than those on a plane -- if you increase the surface area under the force of the wind, you increase the stress on the apparatus. Be an interesting modeling study, nevertheless.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6634

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center