F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Wind Directions Specific to Emily and the Yucatan
      #43625 - Sun Jul 17 2005 05:26 PM

I am noticing the winds over Florida are blowing to the east. It is noticeable on satellite as well as on some of the wind models. When Emily or any other hurricane crosses the Yucatan. Will the winds automatically change directions and begin blowing west? or is this a function of the upper atmospheres?

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Wind Directions Specific to Emily and the Yucatan [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #43641 - Sun Jul 17 2005 07:50 PM

Emily is such a small storm that it is likely only having a minimal impact on the winds over S. Florida, whether at the surface or at lower levels. I'm looking at the surface observations right now and can't see much evidence of winds blowing towards the east; I can see them going to the west, however.

During the summertime, the surface & low-level winds can be dominated locally by the seabreeze, resulting in winds coming onshore across the peninsula, but I don't think that is what you are talking about here. Looking at satellite, I see the very high cirrus clouds -- tops off of the thunderstorms over the southern part of the state, really -- and this is a sign of the northern periphery of the upper-level ridge that is over & just north of Emily. It's a narrow ridge north-south, but rather strong despite that, keeping the storm moving generally west & west-northwest.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Wind Directions Specific to Emily and the Yucatan [Re: Clark]
      #43697 - Sun Jul 17 2005 09:51 PM

Thanks for the answer. I do have trouble remembering that the pictures we can see do not always tell everything that is going on. It will be nice to not have a storm to look at for a week or so.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Wind Directions Specific to Emily and the Yucatan [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #43705 - Sun Jul 17 2005 10:58 PM

Indeed it will...indeed it will!

The pictures can tell quite a bit of the story, but usually, you need more pictures to help fill in the gaps...as backward as that may sound. In this case, looking at water vapor helps to confirm what is/was happening on the visible/infrared imagery.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4156

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center