F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
cjgsav

Reged: Fri
Loc: Naples, FL
Is everyone
      #42415 - Tue Jul 12 2005 10:13 AM

You may HAVE to pay for weather services in the near furture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to get a quick, accurate, and very detailed weather forecast for free, without annoying ads or commercials? Go to the Web site for the National Weather Service.

However, you better check fast, because if Sen. Rick Santorum gets his way, U.S. taxpayers are going to lose access to the data that was collected with their hard-earned tax dollars.

On April 14, Santorum introduced the National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005, which if passed, would bar the National Weather Service from providing any service that competes with the private sector. So even though we pay for the NWS, it would not be able to give us weather forecasts because they are offered by for-pay services such as the Weather Channel and Accuweather.

I wonder if it is any coincidence that Joel and Barry Myers, founders and high-level executives of Accuweather, which is headquartered in State College, have given campaign donations to Santorum?

Want to get a quick, accurate, and very detailed weather forecast for free, without annoying ads or commercials? Go to the Web site for the National Weather Service -- Pittsburgh: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/pit/
However, you better check fast, because if Sen. Rick Santorum gets his way, U.S. taxpayers are going to lose access to the data that was collected with their hard-earned tax dollars.

On April 14, Santorum introduced the National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005, which if passed, would bar the National Weather Service from providing any service that competes with the private sector. So even though we pay for the NWS, it would not be able to give us weather forecasts because they are offered by for-pay services such as the Weather Channel and Accuweather.

I wonder if it is any coincidence that Joel and Barry Myers, founders and high-level executives of Accuweather, which is headquartered in State College, have given campaign donations to Santorum?

Moved to other weather events forum -- this was brought up and discussed before. And belongs off the main site. Discussion here is welcome though. - Mike C.

Edited by MikeC (Tue Jul 12 2005 10:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Punta Gorda Spout [Re: cjgsav]
      #43421 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:14 PM

Hey Lysis, did you see this baby ?... I`ll bet it put on a heck of a good show !!!!!!..This is in your neck of the Florida woods I believe web page ......Weatherchef

Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Punta Gorda Spout [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #43652 - Sun Jul 17 2005 08:34 PM

This happened a few hundred yards from my house! Technically it was a tornado briefly... Tragicaly, I was in Orlando looking at colleges at the time. My family took many pictures from our backyard, which I will upload in a day or so. I almost ripped out my hair when I learned about it. You know I would be down at the park about 20 feet away from it. Hmmmm... next time.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sun Jul 17 2005 08:35 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4613

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center