F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Attack of the trolls... [Re: Margie]
      #45014 - Sat Jul 23 2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

I hope someone can help me out here. I've posted a lot but am obviously quite the newbie, and have not really understood what I have seen in the sat images for Franklin from practically day one, which is a little frustrating. I am trying very hard to read the sat images. So please tell me if this is correct.

I can see something spinning counterclockwise to the west over the FL and that is a low, right? Then to the N is some kind of boundary? It is less distinct now than some hours ago - what is that.

It looks like, where Franklin is, I am seeing two different layers of clouds spinning 'round instead of one, not exactly on top of each other. Why is that. How are folks determining where the center is and the direction, if this is the case. Is it a matter of being very skilled at looking at the sat images? Am I wrong in seeing what appears to be a move to the S for one layer of clouds and a move to the E for another lower layer?

At least I did see one thing - the transverse banding Clark was talking about. I looked it up on the web and then did see it on the sat image. I guess cirrus are the easiest clouds to recognise.

1. The NHC is determining where the center is by seeing where the lowest pressure is.
2. What you are seeing is the different cloud layers, e.g high level and low level clouds. They don't necessarily move in tandem, but it gives you a perspective of how deep the storm actually is.
3. To the north there a trof digging down, that was associated with the rain and severe thunderstorms that we had in the NE yesterday.
4. Cirrus clouds are the easiest to reconginze because they are the highest. Figuring out clouds from visible satellite imagery takes time and practice.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Attack of the trolls... [Re: yecatsjg]
      #45015 - Sat Jul 23 2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

So, do I have this right? When Frances came through it wasn't too bad here in Bradenton. When Jeanne came through we thought it was worse. Is that due to the flip/turn/loop? We were always on the south-west side of the storm, which usually isn't bad....but in the loop did that turn the "bad" side around?

Stacey

Jeanne came a bit closer and was a bit stronger than Francis over West-central FL.

Look at it this way. The storm spins (rotational) and also moves along a given direction (transaltional). Typically, as a storm moves WNW or NW, the strongest winds are in the NE quadrant (rotational speed plus translational speed) and the weakest winds are in the SW quad (rotational speed minus translational speed). If the storm is moving NE, then the strongest quad would be the SE.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

yecatsjg
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Attack of the trolls... [Re: MichaelA]
      #45016 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

If the storm is moving NE, then the strongest quad would be the SE.

So, Charley's strongest quad was the SE instead of the NE, then, right?

Stacey

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
      #45017 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:05 PM

yeah... he was moving east north east at an oblique angle so the south east was his right front.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sat Jul 23 2005 09:07 PM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #45018 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stacey

Correct becasue Charley at landfall was moving due east.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Keith234 (Sat Jul 23 2005 09:06 PM)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
      #45019 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stacey

Technically, yes.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #45020 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:07 PM

Actually the best way to think about it, take the vector the storm is moving in. everything that is to the right of the center of the storm is going to have that motion added into the winds. The strongest (theoretical) influence the forward motion will have is perpendicular to the forward motion. So whatever heading the storm has, 90 degrees clockwise from that heading will be the area with the strongest winds... so if Charley was moving in a heading of 045, the strongest winds would be in the area of the storm that would be about 135 degrees. Of course, it's probably more complicated than that, but that's how i figure where the strongest winds would be...

I wish I had graphs.
-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Attack of the trolls... [Re: Keith234]
      #45024 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:19 PM

Quote:

Well Franklin's window to become a hurricane is winding down fast. The trof axis is digging, and dry air is already starting to be entrained. Unless the center reforms to the south and decouples under the outflow cloud mass, the storm will quickly lose it's intensity...

OK now I think I can see what you are talking about on the sat image. One end of the trof, as it has moved SE, is curving and cutting into the edge of Franklin just to the NNW, or rather is getting pulled in at that location. Well I guess if you go by the actual center of the circulation, those spinning lower clouds, it seems to be wrapping around it, west and south of it.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Sat Jul 23 2005 09:23 PM)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Attack of the trolls... [Re: Margie]
      #45026 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:38 PM

can someone give me the coordinates from the last recon on franklin
the ones i am getting from hurrtrak cant be right

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Attack of the trolls... [Re: NewWatcher]
      #45028 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:40 PM

Ha! The Ramsdis floater overshot Franklin. Likewise, TWC's tracking map is almost completly north of the cyclone. C'mon guys!
EDIT: look to the top left of this page for the coords (29.9N 74.3W?)

Edited by Lysis (Sat Jul 23 2005 09:54 PM)

Bloodstar

Reged:
The Weather Channel [Re: Lysis]
      #45044 - Sat Jul 23 2005 09:56 PM

So, what is the weather channel showing the storm doing?

And is it just me, or does the BOC depression look like it's partially onshore? I'm wondering if it's going to have to reform back into the open water ... Ok, Looking further, it looks like the LLC is reforming to the NW of the former LLC. Still horribly disorganized. But it's there.

-Mark

--------------------
U. Arizona PhD Student

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: The Weather Channel [Re: Bloodstar]
      #45046 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:04 PM

Quote:

And is it just me, or does the BOC depression look like it's partially onshore? I'm wondering if it's going to have to reform back into the open water ... Ok, Looking further, it looks like the LLC is reforming to the NW of the former LLC. Still horribly disorganized. But it's there.

The COC is very near the coast. The NW motion will move it away from the coast as time progresses.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
      #45047 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:05 PM

its only July 23rd and we have Franklin and possibly Gert!!

When will all this development end?!?!

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Regarding T.D 7. [Re: Bloodstar]
      #45048 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:05 PM

T.D 7 is located in a area of broad cyclonic flow, and the depression that they classified happens to be partially onshore. Also keep in mind development could be very rapid, with the BOC hosting some of the warmest temperatures in the atlantic, and shear is low. The monster high in the central plains will govern movement, but due to the fact that it is ill-defined movement will be wobbly.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: The Weather Channel [Re: Ryan]
      #45049 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:08 PM

This will end when all the warmest waters have been turned up. The cooling phase of winter will probably stop all TS development by December. But then you will have converted over to Blizzards which are for all intents and purposes winter hurricanes.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Bloodstar

Reged:
Re: The Weather Channel [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #45050 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:11 PM

Quote:

This will end when all the warmest waters have been turned up. The cooling phase of winter will probably stop all TS development by December. But then you will have converted over to Blizzards which are for all intents and purposes winter hurricanes.

Actually, at the rate things are going, I'm wondering if we're going to see something really crazy like a january Sub-Tropical Storm develop. Would that count in the 2006 season or 2005 if it happened?

-Mark

--------------------
U. Arizona PhD Student

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #45051 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:12 PM

2005 1/2

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Regarding T.D 7. [Re: Keith234]
      #45054 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:13 PM

from what I can tell TD 7 appears to be in the very extreme southern central BOC and moving off to the WNW... unless it slows down even more or changes track to a more northerly component this system will not have much time to do anything and should be inland nto Mexico within the next 24 hours or so... still could get TS status however... at the moment it just looks like a broad area of low pressure and overall associated convection not all that impressive either...

BELL SOUTH
Unregistered

Re: Attack of the trolls... *DELETED* [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #45056 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:13 PM

Post deleted by Storm Cooper

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: The Weather Channel [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #45057 - Sat Jul 23 2005 10:14 PM

OK Franklin must have strengthened because now even I can see it on the sat image, LOL. It is moving east ahead of the trof and in the past hour a lg burst of convection - correct or no?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34806

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center