F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Shuttle Launch [Re: Ryan]
      #45285 - Mon Jul 25 2005 10:02 AM

hi i was wondering with the shuttle launch scheduled to take off again tommorrow, will the dust cloud that is expected today thur wednesday goign to affect it. and what about the dust particles that will attach itself to the shuttle and piggy back into space. Thank you guys...when should tampa experience the dust cloud...im goin to take some pics of the sunset when we get it...

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: African Wave Train [Re: Unregistered User]
      #45286 - Mon Jul 25 2005 10:02 AM

The correct answer is approximately 10-14 days. The time it takes to make it from African Coast to Florida is relative and proportional to the dates that people in the North schedule their long awaited vacations at Disney World, the Bahamas, or Cancun. The size of the storm is directly proportional to the amount of money spent up front on a Cruise or non-refundable tourist package scheduled for right in the middle of hurricane season.(hee hee)

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re:Frankliin [Re: Ryan]
      #45287 - Mon Jul 25 2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

maybe you, im all clear hear on the island..just hot and humid

were hurricane free, right?

um...no

long island canes

Well look at this from that site you gave me

How often Long Island gets affected?
brushed or hit every 5.36 years.

we were last brushed by hurricane Bob in 1991..so unfortunatley were kind of due

i'm not gonna get into it here or now, but unfortunately jim williams' site isn't entirely correct...we were clipped by Floyd ('99-met Cantore at Point Lookout), got seriously threatened by Isabel ('03) and received TS winds from Charley ('04). we were also affected by almost every TS/HURR last year with either rain, winds or both...

this year, with the super-high SSTs, i'm very worried about the potential for a long-tracking CV storm to make it's way up here...

in a more appropriate thread, later this season, i will do a full Long Island threat/potential update

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re:Frankliin [Re: Shalafi]
      #45288 - Mon Jul 25 2005 10:26 AM

Shalafi/Bryan,

I sent you a PM on an easy method I use all the time myself whenever unsure about word usage. I don't consider myself erudite, just someone with a continuing interest in learning.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re:Frankliin [Re: LI Phil]
      #45289 - Mon Jul 25 2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

...this year, with the super-high SSTs, i'm very worried about the potential for a long-tracking CV storm to make it's way up here...

Could you elaborate on cause and effect?

When I first came to this site, earlier this month, and Dennis was in the GOM, I remember asking about whether Dennis was going to move towards the warmer SSTs and wanted to know if the SSTs steered the storm. The response I got back from one of the moderators was that hurricanes are in general steered by the upper layer air circulation (with the central pressure of the hurricane having a relationship to the height of the air circulation that would be dominant), not by SSTs.

So it appears you are saying that water temperature is a major factor in steering hurricanes? That warmer SSTs in the NE would be a contributing factor to hurricanes being steered that way?

I had thought that was not the case, but that if a hurricane happened over warmer water, warmer SSTs would be simply one factor that could facilitate strengthening.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re:Frankliin [Re: Margie]
      #45290 - Mon Jul 25 2005 11:06 AM

i'm making no statement regarding SSTs and tropical cyclone movement. my point is that higher SSTs are able to sustain hurricane strength (and in the case of VERY warm SSTs increase it), so that if there were any hurricanes headed up the east coast, they could maintain intensity for a longer duration with warmer than average SSTs.

while temps of 26 degrees centigrade (approximately 79 degrees farenheit) and above are favorable for hurricane development, the warmer the SSTs are along the coast (they are currently below 79F just south of Long Island, but are nudging past 80 as far north as New Jersey), the more chance for a strong (or even weak) hurricane to remain so all the way up the coast...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

wiley
Verified CFHC User

#45291 - Mon Jul 25 2005 11:18 AM

Just going over the morning grammar lesson, I mean weather discussions and thought I'd throw in my two cents, so, here's another definition for affect from the American Heritage dictionary:

v. tr: To put on a false show of; simulate: as in "affected a British accent."

Oh, and look, here's the origin- of "erudite"
Middle English erudit, from Latin rudtus, past participle of rudre, to instruct : -, ex-, ex- + rudis, rough, untaught; see "rude."

Just thought I'd share

oops
Unregistered

Re: African Wave Train [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #45292 - Mon Jul 25 2005 11:23 AM

Thanks for the reply!! I am sure you all get bothered by non weather enthusiast asking questions. It looks like a fun hobby! I am going to the USVI this Friday thru August 1st and was hoping to avoid any TS!! I guess I am in the clear. Sorry to bug you all. I may stick around and learn more about weather. Fascinating!!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Shuttle Launch [Re: FlaMommy]
      #45293 - Mon Jul 25 2005 11:30 AM

The Sahara Dust should already be in our neck of the woods or close by. Do not expect much drama with this. It occurs frequently. I am not sure why they made such a big deal about this on the news, guess it was a slow day news wise.. Basically it will be just a hazy day (so what else is new) with very little impact to anything, except those who have chronic breathing problems. This will not be like the dust storm seen in the Mummy..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Pamie

Loc: United States
Re: Shuttle Launch [Re: FlaMommy]
      #45294 - Mon Jul 25 2005 11:50 AM

From NASA's website:

The Space Shuttle Discovery and its seven-member crew are ready for launch at
10:39 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, July 26.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Shuttle Launch [Re: Pamie]
      #45295 - Mon Jul 25 2005 12:16 PM

The news here is saying,expect brownish skies and dirt on your car and clothes.Everyone see that very good looking wave coming off Africa?

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

MapMaster
Unregistered

Re:LI Storms [Re: LI Phil]
      #45296 - Mon Jul 25 2005 12:19 PM

Plus the 1938 LI Express storm was NOT extratropical at the point of landfall....Jim's site indicates it was in the initial listing.

MM

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re:Frankliin [Re: wiley]
      #45297 - Mon Jul 25 2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Just going over the morning grammar lesson, I mean weather discussions and thought I'd throw in my two cents, so, here's another definition for affect from the American Heritage dictionary:

v. tr: To put on a false show of; simulate: as in "affected a British accent."

Oh, and look, here's the origin- of "erudite"
Middle English erudit, from Latin rudtus, past participle of rudre, to instruct : -, ex-, ex- + rudis, rough, untaught; see "rude."

Just thought I'd share

I don't think you shared enough. The root "rude" in this case means untrained, which is not related to its current meaning, offensive. If you're erudite, literally, you've had rudeness taken out of you; in other words, you have been educated. My comment was simply another way of saying I was not being bombastic.

--------------------

Cane Watcher
Verified CFHC User

Loc: ATL/ via Melbourne
      #45298 - Mon Jul 25 2005 12:29 PM

Whats with the grammar school today? Its a message board, not a dissertation. Nobody cares about grammar or spelling as long as people can understand your point.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re:Frankliin [Re: Cane Watcher]
      #45299 - Mon Jul 25 2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Whats with the grammar school today? Its a message board, not a dissertation. Nobody cares about grammar or spelling as long as people can understand your point.

Actually a dissertation is "a treatise advancing a new point of view resulting from research; usually a requirement for an advanced academic degree "

But I digress...there is no immediate danger and so straying from the topic of weather is somewhat common and allowed (within reason) I've been watching the board all morning and it's not very busy so I'm not sure why people get so upset if every single comment isn't about weather.
I personally am thrilled that I have no weather to worry about at the moment. Breathe, relax, enjoy life. When one is coming our way the off-topic chit-chat ends and serious discussion takes over...

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Edited by Shalafi (Mon Jul 25 2005 12:55 PM)

Goosus
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Boise ID
      #45300 - Mon Jul 25 2005 12:55 PM

And to think I was curious on how someone would get to almost 300 posts in a couple of weeks...

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Clermont, Fl
      #45301 - Mon Jul 25 2005 12:55 PM

I love the "ignore this user" option!

What, did I just say something?

Darn, I'm ignoring myself again.

Goosus
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Boise ID
Re:Frankliin [Re: Ed G]
      #45302 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:02 PM

Is it just me, or do the two waves (the one just exiting the African coast and the one right behind it) already appear to almost have a "spin" as soon as they hit the water? And they both appear to have banding features and feeder arms like you would see with a tropical system.

How is this possible? Are they already LLC's with weak upper and lower level circulation before they even make it to the ocean, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

On a related note, does anyone know the earliest storm (in reference to distance from the African Coast) to form?

pedro
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out [Re: MikeC]
      #45303 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:03 PM

The little circulation of Franklin in the satalite loop view of Franklin look like is drifting south west very slowley what do u guys think go take a look

Katie
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re:Frankliin [Re: Ed G]
      #45304 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:07 PM

Ed G, I am sorry, did you say something? kidding.

Edited by Katie (Mon Jul 25 2005 01:13 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34850

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center