F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re:Frankliin [Re: Katie]
      #45306 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:15 PM

Yeah its funny now about franklin. He is wobbling alittle to the sw cause now the 2nd trough (very weak) isbypassing it. A stronger 1 will pick it up tomorrow. The NHC said there will be erratic motions for the next 24 hrs. It would be interesting if he just crawled SW or SSW for 12 hours. Then he might be near 29N and 71W late tonight and tomorrow morning. LOL then the next trough might also not pick him up. Those chances are 10% right now.. so likeiin the movie dumb and dumber,,,yes franklin still does have a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re:Frankliin [Re: scottsvb]
      #45307 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:17 PM

I think he needs to remember to take his convection with him or there
won't be anything left.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re:Frankliin [Re: NewWatcher]
      #45308 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:19 PM

That's what we want isn't it? Die Franklin DIE!

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re:Frankliin [Re: LI Phil]
      #45309 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

i'm not gonna get into it here or now, but unfortunately jim williams' site isn't entirely correct...we were clipped by Floyd ('99-met Cantore at Point Lookout), got seriously threatened by Isabel ('03) and received TS winds from Charley ('04). we were also affected by almost every TS/HURR last year with either rain, winds or both...

this year, with the super-high SSTs, i'm very worried about the potential for a long-tracking CV storm to make it's way up here...

in a more appropriate thread, later this season, i will do a full Long Island threat/potential update

that thread would be grreeaatttt...thanks for all your help..i will tune in especially knowing how warm the water here is..i was in the LI sound a couple days ago..i thought it was pee that made that water so warm, darn SST's..lol well i hope if anything comes are way ever that its at most, a minimal cat 1 or 2 sotrm..even tho i live on the top of a hill, anyone else from LI and where?? :?:

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Edited by Ryan (Mon Jul 25 2005 01:22 PM)

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
      #45310 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:23 PM

I am a little confused, as always, as to how the NHC keeps saying that Franklin will most likely be gone in a few days and it's moving towards the ENE-NE and some of you say it's going the opposite direction. I see the loop and it appears to have a wobble towards the SW, but the NHC is not saying that. What am i missing here??

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Re:Frankliin [Re: damejune2]
      #45311 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:28 PM

FRANKLIN HAS BEEN MOVING ERRATICALLY OVER THE PAST SEVERAL
HOURS...BUT ITS GENERAL MOTION HAS BEEN TO THE EAST-NORTHEAST NEAR
5 MPH ... 7 KM/HR. A CONTINUED UNEVEN BUT GENERALLY
EAST-NORTHEASTWARD MOTION IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

From the NHC 5 am discussion

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Re:Frankliin [Re: Ryan]
      #45312 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:33 PM

I'd still rather be on Long Island than down here dealing with tropical stuff every other week. Any storm that may reach you would, in my opinion, be no stronger than what we Floridians know as "scattered afternoon and evening thundershowers". We get daily rain and thunderstorms down here that make most northerners cringe. Sometimes these storms are tropical storm strength, but without the low pressure area. We have gusts of 50-60mph during some of these "normal" afternoon storms. I hope you stay in the clear up there because it is possible i suppose for you to get a hurricane, but i wouldn't worry too much. Maybe it is the pee that makes LI Sound so warm!! LOL

--------------------

pedro
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out [Re: MikeC]
      #45313 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:33 PM

right know i wont call that an E/NE aw call it more of a south west motion very slowley

damejune2
Storm Tracker

#45314 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:34 PM

Thanks Pam, i read that too, but it erractic movement doesn't mean SSW. Some are saying that it's already moving SSW, some have even been saying that since Friday night. Thanks for the information though!

--------------------

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

#45315 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:36 PM

Yeah, the way I am understanding it is..
That there isnt much out there now to pull it out, so its kinda sitting around waiting
on the next trough to take it away.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out [Re: pedro]
      #45316 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:38 PM

Pedro - I understand what you are saying and it makes sense, but why hasn't the NHC acknowledged that? They say it's NE or ENE. SW would be backwards from where it is now.

--------------------

damejune2
Storm Tracker

#45317 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:41 PM

Oh, i understand. Thanks again. Ready for the dust storm? That SAT view was cool as heck, did you see it??!!

--------------------

Maybe maybe not
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out [Re: damejune2]
      #45318 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:41 PM

Pressure dropping winds picking up.

URNT12 KNHC 251709
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 25/16:40:00Z
B. 31 deg 03 min N
069 deg 40 min W
C. NA mb NA m
D. 40 kt
E. 45 deg 109 nm
F. 116 deg 038 kt
G. 047 deg 051 nm
H. EXTRAP 999 mb
I. 23 C/ 223 m
J. 25 C/ 279 m
K. 25 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 1345 /01
O. 0.02 / 4 nm
P. AF308 0606A FRANKLIN OB 12
MAX FL WIND 52 KT E QUAD 15:21:50 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 1500 FT.

pedro
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out [Re: MikeC]
      #45319 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:41 PM

We are going to have to wait for the 5pm advisory may be something could change that we dont know yet

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

#45320 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:42 PM

Yes I saw a few of them in the past few days... it's weird cuz I have lived here
a good portion of my life (long time) and I don't remember hearing about them
before. Goes to show how much attention I was paying, huh?

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

#45321 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:43 PM

max flight winds found in the east quad. that would indicate a wesward movement, right?

Not necessarily. In general, the maximum winds are found to the right of the storm's motion -- which, given the ENE movement, would tend to favor from the ENE to WSW part of the storm. The east quadrant is in that range. Convection can also play a big role and, given the current convective pattern, it is not a big surprise to see the strongest winds on the east side of the storm. Doesn't have any implication towards the motion, however. --Clark

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Edited by Clark (Mon Jul 25 2005 01:59 PM)

damejune2
Storm Tracker

#45322 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:45 PM

Me too! I have never gone out to my car and found red dust on it or my plants and flowers. The only crud on the car is love bugs and thats usually in May.

--------------------

MC Hurricane

Reged: Thu
Loc: Newport News,VA
Possible Fernanda or Harvey [Re: Ed G]
      #45323 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:46 PM

There is a disturbance moving off the South America coast moving into the east pacific. It looks like it might cross Central America again. Here is the link:
Infrared Image

That's just convection that fired up over land, partially triggered by a tropical wave massage, partially by the standard convective cycle. Not a threat for development in either basin...which I note because the title of your post is rather misleading. --Clark

Edited by Clark (Mon Jul 25 2005 02:01 PM)

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out [Re: pedro]
      #45324 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:46 PM

How about a little chit-chat about the tropics?

Gert is raining on Mexico and gone as far as a tropical system is concerned.
Franklin is in the process of doing a loop, a mini one at that. Really getting away from the convection, getting sheared to death. Wasn't there a storm a few years back that just sat almost in the same place as a named storm for a couple of weeks? He's been in no hurry to develop, move or die. Somebody tell him his 15 minutes are up!

Wave between 50-60 W has a few storms today, but was dealt a crappy hand. Franklin to the NW, all tangled up in a dust storm, and too far from the ITZ to draw some energy from it. It's purpose in life seems to be to clear the way for our next two features.

Wave at 30W has a 1014 mb low with it, so yes it is turning on a broad scale. But no, it has no LLC. I've seen nothing, but I could be wrong, about the wave(huge!!) that just cleared the African coast having a low with it. IMO I think if we get a storm, it's going to be one storm. They seem too close for both of them to develop.

I sure do hope we stay on topic here. I love this site, but the last two years I have quit coming here when this site got kinda freaked out. It's not a chat room, but more like a class room where you have a chance to gather your thoughts and write them out (as best you can) to share with people who enjoy the same subject, which happens to be the tropics.

A last note about Franklin; he looks like he has really split apart!! But then the NHC has said that some models kept taking a piece here, a piece there. We shall see.....

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out [Re: joepub1]
      #45325 - Mon Jul 25 2005 01:50 PM

What is the ITZ? I am new here and hear that used a lot. Can you explain what it is? Thanks!

The ITCZ is the intertropical convergence zone, where the trade winds converge near or north of the equator. It is where convection can often be found and is approximately a conduit by which tropical waves can move across the oceans. --Clark

--------------------

Edited by Clark (Mon Jul 25 2005 02:06 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34892

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center