F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
big picture
      #46279 - Mon Aug 01 2005 10:11 PM

Goodness. Is that some sort of an air cannon in the Bermuda Triangle? On Channel 4 (at 00:15 UTC) it looked as though it blew a hole in a weather front off North Carolina.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-ir4-loop.html

Oh, and are there any airmen here? I was simply thinking about turbulence.

(post relocated to a more appropriate forum)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Mon Aug 01 2005 10:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Re: big picture [Re: Spoken]
      #46339 - Tue Aug 02 2005 04:23 PM

Sorry for cluttering up the discussions. Before watching 'cartoons on Channel 4' for a month or so I hadn't realized that big storms seem about as likely to roll lengthwise (like a very wide tank-tread) as to spin around in a circle. I'm guessing that when really big storms are both rolling and in some way spinning they can transport lots of 'weather' from one region to another.

Anyhow this particular storm had at one point appeared to be narrower at its 'exit' than at its 'entrance' - and the effect had appeared to be rather dramatic. But alas the animation at the page referenced above is no longer showing the effect (or illusion perhaps) in question.

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

#46526 - Thu Aug 04 2005 06:38 PM

Actually for the past few days I've watched the 'circulation' currently at the Leeward Isles 'tumble' from a system that had passed over New England, and then more or less down the eastern length of TD8, to begin recruiting bits of weather even from South America so to speak. I've been searching for a page that would tell me at a glance if it has been granted its very own number yet.

(Additional Note: I think it will end up stretching TD8's tail sufficiently to qualify TD8 for the prize.)

Edited by Spoken (Thu Aug 04 2005 06:49 PM)

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

#46630 - Fri Aug 05 2005 01:46 PM

Ah, yes. I see now. Water vapor was simply disappearing into the thing's leading edge. There currently seems to be quite a bit of 'cloud cover' accumulating on its trailing edge however. Interesting.
Ref: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

BROAD MID/UPPER LEVEL CUT-OFF LOW IS IN THE E CARIBBEAN NEAR 15N64W WITH CYCLONIC FLOW COVERING THE AREA E OF 70W ACROSS THE LESSER ANTILLES AND IS PROVIDING DRY AIR THAT COVERS THE SAME AREA...THUS SERIOUSLY LIMITING CONVECTION OR SHOWER ACTIVITY.
Ref: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWDAT+shtml/051037.shtml?

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

#46663 - Fri Aug 05 2005 08:19 PM

Hmmm. That's interesting. Now that "CYCLONIC CIRCULATION" – currently centered south of Puerto Rico at approximately 67W, 16N – appears to be increasingly attracting small amounts of water vapor from points north and west of it also.
Ref: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsh3.html

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

#46744 - Sat Aug 06 2005 02:20 PM

As of yesterday, TD9 was reportedly "fighting for survival" ('somewhere in the South Atlantic'). Meanwhile....

RELATIVELY DRY ELY FLOW IS S OF THE RIDGE AXIS E OF THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS ROUND THE NORTHERN SIDE OF THE COLD LOW IN THE CARIBBEAN.
Ref: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWDAT+shtml/061043.shtml?

I can't seem to find "ELY FLOW" explained within NWS glossaries on-line. Anyway, the 'cyclonic circulation' mentioned above now appears to be developing something of a semi-circle of convection north of its center – currently near 70W, 20N (just north of Hispaniola). However, the feature still seems more easily seen by viewing 'color enhanced' images of water vapor for that area.
Ref: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

#46753 - Sat Aug 06 2005 03:22 PM

Actually, that 'cyclonic circulation' seemed to be enjoying a nice little tour of the Western Atlantic while moving in a fairly tight, arcing track more or less in the open ocean. I would have imagined it was headed back towards the waters somewhere off New England – where it first seemed to originate perhaps a week ago.

However, BillD had explained (in a different forum) that a system's track becomes increasingly influenced by various other factors as a system develops. It might be worth watching perhaps by interests to the northwest of its current position – which appears to be generally southeast of the Bahamas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center