F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
disneyfanfl
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
strength versus track [Re: superfly]
      #46942 - Mon Aug 08 2005 06:16 PM

I forget where I heard it, it may have been from JB, but since this depression was starting to form I've heard that if it stayed weak it would move more to the west whereas quick development would make it easier for it to be caught up in the trough and move north. This seems to be JB's continuing thought process as well. Is Irene's weakening (assuming she doesn't fall apart entirely) sort of a bad thing in that respect? Is this still the case? I'd rather have a strong storm moving out to sea than a wave moving our direction that will hit favorable conditions as it goes. I'm hoping that it still ends up a fish spinner.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Edubrasileiro

Reged: Wed
South of Puerto Rico [Re: disneyfanfl]
      #46943 - Mon Aug 08 2005 06:41 PM

Is this not a clear closed surface circulation, with showers completely surrounding it?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.tjua.shtml

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: strength versus track [Re: disneyfanfl]
      #46945 - Mon Aug 08 2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

I forget where I heard it, it may have been from JB, but since this depression was starting to form I've heard that if it stayed weak it would move more to the west whereas quick development would make it easier for it to be caught up in the trough and move north. This seems to be JB's continuing thought process as well. Is Irene's weakening (assuming she doesn't fall apart entirely) sort of a bad thing in that respect? Is this still the case? I'd rather have a strong storm moving out to sea than a wave moving our direction that will hit favorable conditions as it goes. I'm hoping that it still ends up a fish spinner.

You're pretty much on track with your reasoning. Less developed storms are more shallow systems and thus they are steered more by the low level wind fields. In the tropics, these wins are easterly. As a system deepens, the upper level environment has a more profound effect. Most of our numerical models strongly weight the upper level features in determining track. The models don't usually do a good job with intensity, so if a storm weakens suddenly (or strenghtens) they take a bit of time to catch up. With Irene, along with Franklin and Harvey, because these systems were relatively weak and sheared, track forecasting is more difficult.

The NHC in the 5 PM discussion points out the problems with the long range guidance with a weak storm (Irene). I think JB probably thinks the storm will remain weak and not turn NW. We shall see.

AND THERE IS A LITTLE MORE CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRACK NOW
SINCE SOME OF THE MODELS THAT WERE EASTERN OUTLIERS THIS MORNING...
SUCH AS THE UKMET AND NOGAPS... HAVE SHIFTED WESTWARD.
THEREFORE... MODELS ARE COMING INTO BETTER AGREEMENT THAT A SYSTEM
OF MODERATE TROPICAL STORM STRENGTH WILL MOVE WEST-NORTHWESTWARD
ALONG THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF THE LOWER/MID LEVEL SUBTROPICAL
RIDGE. THE SLOW MOTION SHOWN AT THE END OF THE OFFICIAL FORECAST
IS INDICATIVE OF THE GREAT UNCERTAINTY LATE IN THE PERIOD...WHEN
THE SPREAD IN THE MODELS IS STILL QUITE SIGNIFICANT

--------------------
RJB

Rob1966

Loc: Cooper City Florida
Re: strength versus track [Re: Ron Basso]
      #46946 - Mon Aug 08 2005 07:41 PM

RJB-
Which "field" should I select to see the track you are referencing? Thanks

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: Old Sailor]
      #46947 - Mon Aug 08 2005 07:58 PM

Don't know if this is in the models or not but it looks like Irene is in for the same 'hammer milling' Franklin and Harvey received on their trip northeast along the coast. I'm not a machinist but one type of 'hammer mill' has a cross with pivoting hammers at the ends. Basically the stuff getting hammered passes underneath. In this case the hammers are a succession of fronts emerging from North America into the skies over the Atlantic while (ordinarily) pivoting more or less around the Arctic. The stuff getting hammered appears to include storms like Franklin and Harvey. The result of the hammering seems to be shear. Not sure how accurate that analogy really is but that's what the images have me imagining.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/nwatl-wv-loop.html

Incidentally today's images appear to include a portion of the satellite that took them – perhaps part of its dish or something. Maybe it turned to get a little better look at the space shuttle's reentry (which was rescheduled due to weather).

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Irene Possible Upgrade? [Re: damejune2]
      #46948 - Mon Aug 08 2005 07:58 PM

The support for that statement was the sat imagery showing the LLC moving due west.

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Israel
Re: Irene Possible Upgrade? [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #46949 - Mon Aug 08 2005 08:03 PM

Looking at the visible it look almost a little south of west now.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-vis-loop.html

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Re: South of Puerto Rico [Re: Edubrasileiro]
      #46951 - Mon Aug 08 2005 08:30 PM

Edubra:

Scroll back to some of the posts earlier today; HF and others discussed that interesting little feature. The NHC mentioned it in the 805 tropical discussion:

AN EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 64W SOUTH OF 19N
MOVING WEST 10 TO 15 KT. SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AND SHIP
OBSERVATIONS ARE SHOW CYCLONIC TURNING. SCATTERED MODERATE
CONVECTION IS NEAR PUERTO RICO FROM 16N-18N BETWEEN
65W-67W...AND IS OVER VENEZUELA FROM 7N-11N BETWEEN 62W-64W.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Re: strength versus track [Re: Rob1966]
      #46952 - Mon Aug 08 2005 08:45 PM

Quote:

RJB-
Which "field" should I select to see the track you are referencing? Thanks

Sorry for the delay. The home page has some model links at the bottom. Here is one.

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_09.gif

--------------------
RJB

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Re: South of Puerto Rico [Re: Brad in Miami]
      #46953 - Mon Aug 08 2005 09:01 PM

I noticed that feature earlier today appear to 'grab an arm' of a system moving NNE across Hispaniola. The feature now seems to be 'rising upwards' to perhaps meet with the rest of the 'donor system' somehow – though I'd imagine it's in for a surprise if it follows that 'train of systems' into the TUTT. But also the feature seems to have formed connections with a system moving east across northern South America. You can currently click on the fifth little green square from the left to omit the (black) 17:15 UTC image in the following sequence.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Irene Possible Upgrade? [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #46955 - Mon Aug 08 2005 10:48 PM

lets say Irene does follow the NHC predicted path, Harvey and Franklin already had the turning factor by now, so what is Irene going to turn out to sea or stay on course and possibly affect the northeast or Canada?, im just wondering what poeple opinions on Irene for now, please lemme know

Ryan

PS-i hope the weather clears up for Discovery to land tomorrow

also, Jim Cantore just said at 10:45 Irene only a TD but the US isnt completely out of under the gun(if that made sense)..ill have to watch the the tropical update!

Stay Safe, Have Fun Doing It

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
comments on the day [Re: Spoken]
      #46957 - Mon Aug 08 2005 10:49 PM

two consecutive runs of euro are bringing irene across now. the model probably keeps it too weak in the near term though. fact stands though, most of the globals have shifted west. i'm not ready to buy into irene making it across... still think it goes out (and stalls) near bermuda. the setup is potentially there, however.
weak low in the ne caribbean from earlier is just that.. weak and helpless. nice comment MM relating it to emily 1999. it's a tight low-level swirl with no CDO.. maybe it's also a relative of TD 4 from 2000? well, lots of shear ahead... no chance.
that weak low i was commenting on now se of irene... the other night i said it might do some fujiwhara thing.. well, the tracks were as such today. irene sort of pivoted around it.. probably a function of upper steering.. but still kind of cool. there's a wind surge, saharan air burst.. and oncoming wave which should crunch the little swirl near 17/50. wave axis has a broad turning near the ITCZ se of there. if there wasn't a ton of subsidence near the center we'd be talking about an up and coming invest. it may look more impressive as it works further west.. nothing doing right now. more waves marching off. none looking like slam-dunk developers... which in a way could work out for the worse. early developers usually recurve.. negative-phase MJO can activate them further west when it gets cranking, potentially.
home brew option still open, for probably the seventh or eighth day. if that mean trough position had been a couple hundred miles west we'd have seen something already. as is, still low potential for cyclogenesis along the southeast coast, but nothing too happening.
eastpac is trying to blow two systems right now... and has been showing active waves for about a week. the atlantic response should be days away now.
HF 0249z09august

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Loc: Florida
Re: comments on the day [Re: HanKFranK]
      #46958 - Mon Aug 08 2005 10:59 PM

The ECMWF has Irene heading to the SC coast,, I agree not buying into that one yet .......One reason for that track to happen if Irene remains a TD or min TS...

Dave

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: comments on the day [Re: HanKFranK]
      #46959 - Mon Aug 08 2005 11:25 PM

Shear is gradually improving across the basin as well. The upper-low that has been affecting Irene is about to get kicked out by the same system that grabbed Harvey; at the very least, it should kick it far enough north to keep it out of the tropical basin for awhile. The upper-low near the Bahamas is riding along the west side of a developing ridge across the western Atlantic, while the connected TUTT cell over the Yucutan shows signs of weakening and moving NW. Ridging has developed in the extreme southern Caribbean and out into the tropical Atlantic, with signs of this becoming more prevalent across the basin.

Models suggest a low might become cut-off over the central Atlantic near 35N/50W late in the week -- from the UKMET and GFS showing a midlatitude low diving south and cutting off to the NOGAPS showing Irene recurving and getting stuck -- which could help set up a pattern to allow a lot of the waves to recurve as they develop if it reaches far enough south, or could just set up a blocking pattern to allow for the pattern to maintain itself for a long period of time. They also suggest another trough might become established across the eastern part of the basin...with the pattern we're in now and potentially forecast to stay in looking a lot like early June did. We'll just have to see this weekend.

While Irene is pretty far north and still a bit more likely to get sent out to sea than turned back to the west, anything that gets going down the line is going to have a better shot at getting across. If nothing else, Irene & the waves down to the south should help moisten the central Atlantic a tad. Everything is moving into place for something to kick up in about a week, from the basin-wide conditions on down to the climatological and intraseasonal factors. GFS kicks up about three systems over the next 6 days in the EPac; there's some support for at least 1-2 storms in the other models as well. Give it a few more days and the Atlantic should follow suit, if not to an even greater degree given what we've seen this season.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: comments on the day [Re: Clark]
      #46961 - Tue Aug 09 2005 07:04 AM

Well, Irene is looking good on satellite this morning and wouldn't be surprised if she gets upgraded today. Tropical models have shifted west further. Let's see what the setup will be 4 days out on the eastern seaboard before saying whether it will afffect any land areas, but its becoming increasingly possible. Off to work. Cheers!!

zacros
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Johns Island, SC
Re: comments on the day [Re: Steve H1]
      #46962 - Tue Aug 09 2005 07:08 AM

I agree. The IR and the first visuals from this morning definately indicate the storm is strengthening. It almost appears that the center is no longer exposed, but is located underneath the main area of convection.

J.C.
Unregistered

Re: comments on the day [Re: Clark]
      #46963 - Tue Aug 09 2005 07:16 AM

Good morning all! Irene looks a little more impressive this morning with a new flair up near the center of the storm. Now that the storm has a less amount of shear and perhaps and little more oceanic heat to work with, does this explain the new round of convection? Also as an untrained eye the convection seems to be close enough to the center that the center is not detectable on Sat pictures. Models also now beginning to bring this system closer to the US east coast. Should people along the east coast from say SC to New England pay more attention to this system or is it still just a Bermuda event?

LONNY307
Unregistered

Re: comments on the day [Re: J.C.]
      #46964 - Tue Aug 09 2005 07:43 AM

The ITCZ is looking more pumped up this morning. From within Africa to out in the Atlantic convection has been picking up. Is it a sign to come? Most likely as we are approaching the heart of the season and the MJO should be favorable pretty soon. It won't be long till we will be tracking many names. Everybody should be prepared this season. It's going to be a wild one.

zacros
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Johns Island, SC
Re: comments on the day [Re: LONNY307]
      #46965 - Tue Aug 09 2005 08:21 AM

This may be a little off topic, but the shuttle just landed flawlessly in California. To keep it on topic, I will mention that it landed in CA because of all of the unsettled weather around Florida, especially off of the East Coast. I'm on vacation (hanging around the house) and dying to go fishing with the family, but the unsettled weather is keeping us in port. Looks like decent surf will be in our future, especially if Irene can build. Let's just hope it actually curves.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Re: comments on the day [Re: zacros]
      #46966 - Tue Aug 09 2005 08:41 AM

I too have noticed the westward shift of the numerical models on Irene. The BAM series now take the storm toward the east coast of Florida while the global models turn her NW toward Bermuda. What's interesting though, is that both the UKMET and NOGAPS stall the storm near Bermuda and then move her due west toward the Carolinas on the last day of their run - with both models showing a building ridge north of storm that turns her west. In addition, GFS, GFDL, and the CMC never intialize a storm & pretty much keep it an open wave. Lot's of uncertainty still in the final track and intensity. I'm not ready to write her off yet as a fish-spinner.

http://flhurricane.com/modelanimator.php?storm=9&Year=2005

--------------------
RJB

Edited by Ron Basso (Tue Aug 09 2005 08:43 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 42570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center