F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Irene [Re: Ryan]
      #46921 - Mon Aug 08 2005 01:00 PM

If Irene can hold together for 2 more days or so,We could get somehing interesting.Looked into the history of Andrew,and that will really get you thinking about what Irene could POSSIBLE do.She seems to be taking a more westerly track if you follow the dots.Thunder storms have fired up again just to the east of the center.To early to write off this system yet.Here is Andrew's track http://www.hurricaneadvisories.com/andrew92.html

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Edited by ftlaudbob (Mon Aug 08 2005 01:07 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: MapMaster]
      #46922 - Mon Aug 08 2005 01:01 PM

MapMaster:

If by "better" systems you mean "better looking" systems, that's exactly why science is so much more important than simple appearances. To some extent, classification/non-classification of a system that far out is often a guessing game because of the lack of surface observations and/or flight recon and/or ship observations. However, relying on the "look" of a system is far more unscientific than relying on what NHC relied on to classify Irene: not merely the look, but also Dvorak, Quickscat, etc. As we see from time to time, systems may look very much like tropical cyclones, but recon flights or surface observations reveal they are not; and sometimes systems do not look like tropical cyclones, but recon flights or surface data (e.g., reports from ships or islands) reveal that they are.

Based on the objective data - again, e.g., Dvorak, Quickscat - it's hard to argue that this wasn't at some time at least a depression. And although deciding when/if to upgrade to Irene was a tough call, a good argument can be made that the NHC should've upgraded EARLIER, when Dvorak and Quickscat arguably supported the existence of a tropical storm.

You might have cause to argue against the NHC's classifications from time to time, but I don't think science is on your side in arguing that Irene was NEVER a tropical storm (or depression).

-Brad

Edited by Brad in Miami (Mon Aug 08 2005 01:03 PM)

HF at work
Unregistered

take a glance [Re: Brad in Miami]
      #46924 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:11 PM

want to see something ridiculous? check the ghcc hi res shot zoomed way in near 16/62 (about 200 mi SE of puerto rico). that's a pretty tight little vortex for such a little puff of convection. wonder if the obs from the islands saw that thing last night? lots of shear ahead of it, so i wouldn't expect it to do anything.
HF 1909z08august

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Re: Irene [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #46925 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:16 PM

There is NO comparison, really...Andrew did get to a point where is had a very high cp (1015 mb), BUT was able to maintain 45 mph winds due to the high surrounding pressures.

My comment about Andrew was just a nod to the idea that just because a storm is in an unfavorable environment, doesn't mean with time and distance it CAN'T overcome that.

With Irene---it's a real outside chance it'll even survive....there is NO Andrew potential seen here...the atmospheric conditions are way different.

MM

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: Brad in Miami]
      #46926 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:22 PM

Agreed it was, and is, a TD...not agreed on TS...as you said, previously there were even higher quiksat indications...but objective Dvorak #s never showed a tropical storm...if they did, I stand to be corrected.

My main point...WHEN they upgraded it, it was NOT a tropical storm...and hasn't been since. NHC made a judgement call...I just, in this case, disagree with them; usually, I agree, this is an unusual case. I think they got trigger happy.

MM

MapMaster
Weather Guru

#46927 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:22 PM

Thanks for your well reasoned, and reasonable, response, however!

MM

Edited by MapMaster (Mon Aug 08 2005 03:23 PM)

MapMaster
Weather Guru

#46928 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:24 PM

Oops, sorry ..I missed one thing...no, I did not mean 'better looking'..I meant better organized and more consistent (continuity) systems.

MM

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
      #46929 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:26 PM

Convection quickly developing into Irene, we'll see if it lasts. HF, was just looking at that area near Puerto Rico.....impressive for such a small feature. Back to Work.

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Re: take a glance [Re: HF at work]
      #46930 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:29 PM

That is amazing! An Emily type of vortex (Emily from, hmm....1999?)..was a tiny little storm east of the islands that blew up...then down.

Lotsa shear, but, it is trying....which I admit I see Irene doing again, more convincingly.

Time and data...we shall see.

MM

Edited by MapMaster (Mon Aug 08 2005 03:31 PM)

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

#46931 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:31 PM

Actually, was just typing this before I read your second post:

I just looked at some of the early Dvorak numbers, and I think you are right about that. So this might have been a much closer call at all times than I assumed.

Interesting, if nothing else.

ronjon
Unregistered

Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: Steve H1]
      #46932 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:41 PM

The convection is pulling in toward the east side of the depression again. Course the last several hours looks due westerly. Peeking at the water vapor, it looks like Irene will miss the weakness (trough) of Harvey and cruise more or less west or W-NW for the next two days. There is an upper level ridge building east of the big ULL north of the bahamas & I expect Irene to at some point get into a good environment to strengthen. The only limiting factor is dry air. Be real interesting to see where she goes after 60W - will the Atlantic Ridge fill in behind the ULL and leave Irene on the westerly course or will this weakness carry her north up the west side of Bermuda? So far the numerical models have been pretty useless with this storm.

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: ronjon]
      #46933 - Mon Aug 08 2005 03:56 PM

Maybe we are seeing cyclogenesis s of PR...lotta shear...but, very interesting.

MM

Edited by MapMaster (Mon Aug 08 2005 03:57 PM)

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Florida
Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: ronjon]
      #46934 - Mon Aug 08 2005 04:09 PM

You be better off to register, then just throwing ideas out, The models have been doing good job, just Irene has not . a weak storm will allways travel to the west 270 to 280 degrees. If Irene gets back up to 40 to 50 miles per hour feel she start turn northward of NW.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
      #46935 - Mon Aug 08 2005 04:12 PM

Harvey is starting to look like an extratropical system, and i expect it will be classified as so at 5pm; as for Irene, it may be reclassified a tropical storm on the next advisory

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Irene Possible Upgrade? [Re: Rabbit]
      #46936 - Mon Aug 08 2005 04:20 PM

It looks like Irene is heading west as it sparks back to life. It's almost totally due west.

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Edited by rmbjoe1954 (Mon Aug 08 2005 04:21 PM)

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Re: Irene Possible Upgrade? [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #46937 - Mon Aug 08 2005 04:31 PM

Re: being almost due west

Don't forget: the official forecast only has it gaining .4 or .5 in latitude (I forgot which) the 1st 12 hours, so a few hours (or more) of nearly due west motion is not, standing alone, indicative of it being off the forecast track.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Irene Possible Upgrade? [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #46938 - Mon Aug 08 2005 04:32 PM

Got a link to support that? I'd like to check it out, thanks!!!!

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: Rabbit]
      #46939 - Mon Aug 08 2005 04:47 PM

I didn't (don't) see ANYTHING to suggest Irene would be upgraded...and it hasn't been.

And, adios to Harvey...definitely looks, and is, XT. Interesting little storm.

MM

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #46940 - Mon Aug 08 2005 04:59 PM

MM, my only qualm with your thinking is this: how do you account for the QuikSCAT passes that showed non-rain flagged 35 & 40kt winds within the circulation on multiple occasions? The apperance of the storm was very similar to that of Franklin and Harvey -- among many others in the past -- at times, storms that we know to have been of tropical storm force from recon observations. It certainly did not have the classic look of a lowly-sheared tropical storm, but it had the winds, convection, and circulation to support the TS intensity. There have been many studies done on sheared TCs that show them to be more resilient to shear than originally thought -- and as has borne out this season. Just because there isn't a CDO or persistent region of convection -- e.g. a better satellite apperance -- doesn't mean the winds aren't tropical-storm force. Remember -- the Dvorak technique can be as much as 20kt off in the long-term mean -- even higher in some isolated spots (source: discussions with forecasters from the NHC; NHC seasonal reports; storm discussions). QuikSCAT has some error inherent to the measurement system, but not that large.

Just my two cents.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

superfly
Weather Watcher

Loc: New Orleans
Re: Irene Downgrade? [Re: Clark]
      #46941 - Mon Aug 08 2005 05:35 PM

The LLC seems a lot less defined in the last 2-3 hours and could be starting to become unwound. The center definitely looks open right now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 42523

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center