F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: emackl]
      #47536 - Thu Aug 11 2005 02:22 PM

I am wondering if in the near future can anything be done to better predict where these storms will go? Presently they do a pretty darn good job considering not too long ago people had no clue as to where they were going to hit. I was just curious....you know as technology advances, will the predictions get better.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Irene Center? [Re: emackl]
      #47537 - Thu Aug 11 2005 02:33 PM

Irene looks to be taking some light shear. So there is probably a NE offset between the low level center and the upper center.
Use this enhancement. It's the Dvorak enhancement.
Look for the little tadpole-like tail. It extends off toward the Southwest. Just ahead of that should be the 'center' This is based on CIMSS imagery.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT2/BD/20.jpg

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: emackl]
      #47538 - Thu Aug 11 2005 02:40 PM

I've got no clue where the center is on it, but the banding features are getting more and more pronounced. I'd say it will strengthen rapidly over the next day as the effects of warm water, moist air, low shear, and better storm form (banding) begin push the winds higher.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastnheir.html

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: Old Sailor]
      #47539 - Thu Aug 11 2005 02:43 PM

Irene looks like it is solidifying a convection core. The center which had been open to the south has now become completley surrounded with convection...still very little going on in the west and south though and it presents with an almost straight line oriented ese-wnw cloud coverage along the southern and western reaches of the overcast area giving an elongated appearance. Outflow exists vigorously only on the north and some less vigorous outflow on the east...nothing in the west northwest or south. Convection does not seem to be building above the mid levels. All of this is why the intensity estimates are probably accurate for now.
If the development around the center can maintain and it may as it proceeds toward warm water it can still pull itself together into a hurricane. I don't see the dissapation the GFS called for, bur it is still pretty fragile. I see nothing to suggest it is a hurricane now.
No reason to think it will not continue wnw especially if strengthening continues, as I cannot evaluate the relative strength of the ridge or the timing of the trough. Florida should be safe though.

--------------------
doug

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Loc: Mobile,Alabama
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: damejune2]
      #47541 - Thu Aug 11 2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

I am wondering if in the near future can anything be done to better predict where these storms will go? Presently they do a pretty darn good job considering not too long ago people had no clue as to where they were going to hit. I was just curious....you know as technology advances, will the predictions get better.

I saw on NASA Tv yesterday where they have got another sat called GIFTS that is suppose to get the info back in min instead of hours and that it will show 3D images and its suppose to be quiet better than the GOES sats. But they didn't say when it will be launched.

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: damejune2]
      #47543 - Thu Aug 11 2005 02:55 PM

This year the models seem to have been much more reliable especially out to 72 hours...last year they were awful... didnot have any clue on the ridge....see if the end game in this one is not within the cone at the 5 day mark I think it will be. When you consider that the cone may cover 500-600 miles of coast line at 5 days that may seem like a huge absolute difference for the coast line involved, but when considered against the entire potential surface thatcould be effected that is the equivilant of a pin hole. So on a relative scale I think it is pretty good accuracy.
Remember the weather is a dynamic interaction of unstable gases and other forces which can change in an instant.
I did not follow up on becoming a met because I could not handle the physics!

--------------------
doug

Takingforever
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: doug]
      #47545 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:00 PM

Yeah unless this thig starts to go just west, Floridans can say they are safe.

But I think this was a safe bet for alot of you, I mean compared to Floyd's track in 1999, this is a piece of cake

JAFO guy
Unregistered

Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #47546 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:09 PM

Quote:

they have got another sat called GIFTS that is suppose to get the info back in min instead of hours and that it will show 3D images and its suppose to be quiet better than the GOES sats. But they didn't say when it will be launched.

GIFTS will not launch until 2012.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: Takingforever]
      #47547 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:20 PM

i think irene is going to pass close to ilm and mhx. Got family in ilm, says local media is jumping on it like most media in FL has done in this year....the basic, get your supplies, etc.

side not, the wave at 22w 11n is the most impressive i've seen this year to look this good, just after the exit from africa...it's large and if holds together...could be an invest within 24-48hrs..... take a look..... as clark said, things are about to get very active!!!!

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Thu Aug 11 2005 03:40 PM)

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #47548 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:25 PM

Quote:

i think irene is going to pass close to ilm and mhx. Got family in ilm, says local media is jumping on it like most media in FL has done in this year....the basic, get your supplies, etc.

side not, the wave at 22w 11n is the most impressive i've seen this year to look this good, just after the exit from africa...it's large and if holds together...could be an ivest within 24-48hrs..... take a look as clark said, things are about to get very active!!!!

whats ilm and mhx?...and yes that wave does look liek it has itself together prety well.

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Loc: USA
Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: Ryan]
      #47549 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:26 PM

that wave does look pretty good. here's another look at it ir sat pic

Edited by hurricane_run (Thu Aug 11 2005 03:30 PM)

mightygringo85
Unregistered

Re: JB's Thursday AM take [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #47550 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:28 PM

I know people especially in Florida don't want to hear this, but i have noticed Irene is starting to turn more toward the West. This could be a slight abbaration, or something suggesting a larger course change.

In the future, please provide some sort of background for what you see in the satellite imagery, models, forecasts, etc. that backs up why you believe this is occurring. Such comments aren't necessarily bad or out of line, but some sort of justification is required. Thanks... --Clark

Edited by Clark (Thu Aug 11 2005 04:25 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #47551 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:30 PM

Quote:

whats ilm and mhx?...and yes that wave does look liek it has itself together prety well.

i believe they are the airports or call letters for Wilimington & Morehead City respectively, cities in NC

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Takingforever
Weather Watcher

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
      #47552 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:30 PM

Quote:

take a look as clark said, things are about to get very active!!!!

And the only thing that would be stopping all these storms from hitting the East coast right now is the ridge that's causing the heat wave and thunder boomers up and down the coast. Once that's gone, it's less out to sea

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
      #47553 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:39 PM

opps! they are
(ilm)
Wilmington, nc

(mhx)
morehead city, nc

two biggest cities on east coast of nc....

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
looks pretty strong for a minor tropical storm [Re: mightygringo85]
      #47554 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:42 PM

pretty wound up

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/rgb-loop.html

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

amonty
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Clearwater, Fl
      #47555 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:43 PM

Wow check out the explosion of water vapor(purple) in the last few frames its pretty impressive
link

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Irene [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #47556 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:46 PM

ohh ok well that would explain a lot, yea if Irene takes the patht that the NHC is predicting, she will be a little to close for comfort in NC, and then she looks to be heading north and a little to the west so maybe she'll make more than one landfall, hopefully not but we can only wait and see, a lot of the models show Irene's eye brushing the NC coast and then not surprisingly, NOGAPS the entire grid annot be shown because there is so much uncertainty about Irene, this are just my opinions what do other people think?

Ryan

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Irene's Path [Re: mightygringo85]
      #47557 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:50 PM

I still see- WNW track. What is your source?

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Loc: Florida
Re: Irene's Path [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #47558 - Thu Aug 11 2005 03:55 PM

Joe:
School out for the day no facts just he likes to get to people, looks to me she headed 290 to 295 W-NW

Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 570 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 70800

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center