F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: damejune2]
      #47611 - Thu Aug 11 2005 09:29 PM

The forecast map on the NRL site uses the NHC forecast track. I don't know that there is any data on the NRL site that is not available elsewhere, but they do a good job of putting everything you'd ever need to look at all on one page (if you can figure out all the acronyms on the links...)

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: missing terms [Re: damejune2]
      #47612 - Thu Aug 11 2005 09:29 PM

OK...it's NOT Lil Phil...it's

LI as in LONG ISLAND Phil...
don't worry...you're only about the 20th person to make that mistake

try this link

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: Unregistered User]
      #47613 - Thu Aug 11 2005 09:29 PM

Is a storm located at 25.7N and moving WNW "near 15 MPH" at the last advisory going to take an abrupt turn to the west all of a sudden and head towards Florida? That is basically what would have to happen and none of the models are showing that.

Edited by richisurfs (Thu Aug 11 2005 09:37 PM)

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: missing terms [Re: LI Phil]
      #47614 - Thu Aug 11 2005 09:33 PM

Sorry Phil.....

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: damejune2]
      #47615 - Thu Aug 11 2005 09:39 PM

Looking at IR SAT, it looks like the LLC of Irene is displaced from the mid level center. It appears the LLC is on the west side of the cloud mass and the MLC is displaced to the NE. If this the case, I don't see any rapid strengthening. It also looks like the LLC is moving W-NW, somewhere between 280-300 deg. I'm wondering if its possible that the MLC separates from the LLC, with the LLC moving W-SW and the MLC moving off to the N-NW. Maybe this is what GFS model is picking up.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-ir4-loop.html

--------------------
RJB

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: MikeC]
      #47616 - Thu Aug 11 2005 10:10 PM

What has changed since last night, overall? Not a whole lot, really, but enough to make mention.

The upper-low noted east of the Bahamas yesterday is still there, though it is slowly moving west and showing signs of narrowing. However, this is where the weakness is right now and what is likely sending Irene on a 300deg path. If Irene keeps going at this path, it may well round through the weakness in the ridge pretty slowly and ultimately head out to sea. Not a strong possibility, but there nonetheless. The satellite data suggest this is possible moreso than the actual height data -- the ridge north of Irene is narrow and, per the steering flow data available at the UWisconsin site, is weak enough to allow for something to slide through. As a result, I wouldn't be so quick to discount the NOGAPS/UKMET solutions just yet.

However, as this feature moves west, the storm should start to veer back to the west-northwest. Other than this feature, the tendency would be for Irene to move closer to 285deg. I expect a general 290deg motion to resume tomorrow, assuming the upper low continues to move away/fill. The next weakness lies directly along the coast, stretching from the Outer Banks across the northern parts of Ga/Al/Ms, but does not appear to be moving any further southward. A number of weak upper-level lows have formed along this boundary back to the west, with a persistent TUTT cell in the northern Gulf of Mexico. I don't expect a lot of motion from these features, but their building will help to amplify the pattern just slightly. Whether this means a tendency to send the storm more towards the west or more towards the north remains to be seen...right now, either possibility is about equally likely. The flow remains zonal across the eastern 2/3 of the US -- a shortwave trough is passing just to the north of Irene right now and may have also played a role in the jog northward today -- and with nothing down the line to suggest this will change, it is going to be fluctuations in the intensity and position of the subtropical ridge and boundary draped across the SE US that determine where this storm ultimately goes. Georgia is looking less likely with time as well, and the all-clear can about be sounded for a direct impact to Florida, but folks from Savannah northward really need to keep an eye on this one.

The low-level center and mid-level center are not aligned very well this evening -- another reason why you don't use infrared satellite imagery as the sole marker of a storm's intensity -- with the former moving ~300deg and the other building closer to ~315deg with the morphing of the convective pattern. As a result, I don't expect any change in intensity once again at 11pm. Once -- if -- the two become better aligned, some modest intensification is possible and likely. It is relatively dry in the vicinity of the storm, but not as much as before. Shear is still present, but the transverse banding features (e.g. outflow pattern) are getting better defined, especially to the north and east, with time. The GFS solution is possible, given the current state of organization, but not likely at this point.

More tomorrow, if needed...we'll get the first recon fixes in time for the 5p advisory package tomorrow afternoon.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: Clark]
      #47623 - Thu Aug 11 2005 10:54 PM

Well the 11PM is out, not too much change other than a potential for it to slow up. They mention a few points about not going into specifics yet about any east coast affect from the storm, which is pretty good advice concerning the situation with it.

Nothing has changed for me on thinking yet. Hoping/looking for ways for the storm not to hit land, and watching it otherwise.

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: MikeC]
      #47624 - Thu Aug 11 2005 11:06 PM

Heres a look at the current model output on Irene along with model performance numbers for just about every hurricane model.

http://hurricane.methaz.org/hurapak/AAL092005_perf.html

My overall thinking hasn't changed much and agree with the NHC forecast for now, even though there has been some swing in guidance to the west in the 72-120 hour timeframe, rather wait and see what future trends hold considering each day they have gone back and forth.

zacros
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Johns Island, SC
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: Joe]
      #47625 - Thu Aug 11 2005 11:13 PM

Given this storms ability to organize and strengthen during the early morning hours while it was traversing across the Atlantic, it will be interesting to see what the morning holds. I believe shear is still lessening and the effects of the ULL are decreasing as well. It seems to me that the storm should strenghten some tomorrow. Hopefully, this will increase the chance of finding a weakness in the ridge and turn north before it hits land.

unregistered
Unregistered

Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: zacros]
      #47626 - Thu Aug 11 2005 11:16 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

read the forum rules about posting. short 'chat room' type comments are not permitted on this forum. your topic was fine, though. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Aug 12 2005 12:39 AM)

unregistered
Unregistered

Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: unregistered]
      #47627 - Thu Aug 11 2005 11:18 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #47628 - Thu Aug 11 2005 11:34 PM

Hey everyone, sorry I've been absent lately. Working around the clock to finish the new site... Anyhow, here's a quick update:

Although the site isn't quite finished, Irene is a bit too close for comfort. Given the lack of confidence in the forecast path, we are releasing the new track maps early to accommodate the folks who rely on them.

Please do not pull full size images from SkeetobiteWeather.com into the forums. This creates a serious load on the server and is unfair to those using dial up. Each full size image that is available for use in the forums will include the necessary forum code to generate a thumbnail that links directly back to the map you are interested in.

Example(Live data)

Image courtesy of SkeetobiteWeather.com

Currenty, the forum code will be included under each image you can use. Once we launch the new site, look for this image:

Clicking this link will automatically generate the forum code for you. Just copy and paste it into your post!

tpratch

Reged: Fri
Loc: Maryland
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: unregistered]
      #47629 - Thu Aug 11 2005 11:36 PM

The models are typically not run until an invest is given for any given storm.

Sometimes, model runs on other storms will pick up formations, sometimes not - at any rate, that close to the coast of Africa, there's nothing to mention - other than the fact that we're a scant few days away from the traditional start of the CV season...

Nice looking image, Skeet. Let me know if I can give you a hand getting anything wrapped up.

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Irene Becomes Tropical Storm Again ... Threat to Carolinas Decreasing [Re: unregistered]
      #47630 - Thu Aug 11 2005 11:38 PM

lets say Irene follows the NHC 5 day projected path, from 8PM Monday-8 PM Tuesday she looks to be taking a straight dash for land, and we could see another invest whats this 99L?...but i mean hopefuly with the EPAC being really active maybe the atlantic won't be, then again this season has already provn to be an unpredictable one, i think it was clark that said anywhere from savannah northward should watch Irene, most of the models arent showing a possible Georgia landfall, and i think she will take a path relitavely similar to the NHC becuase of the trough over the central atlantic, i think she may ride the edge of the trough rather than breakign through it and turning out to sea, what do othe rpople think, a second and third opinion neevr hurts right. Also, one more thing-if you are in "the cone": should we be on alert?

Thanks, Ryan

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

#47633 - Fri Aug 12 2005 12:40 AM

The 11PM didn't seem to report on it but the subtropical ridge now appears to extend further east of North Carolina than it had earlier in the evening.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/nwatl-wv-loop.html

My understanding is that the "subtropical" ridge is between 35N and 40N.

Edited by Spoken (Fri Aug 12 2005 07:29 AM)

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
dodging the redundancy [Re: Spoken]
      #47634 - Fri Aug 12 2005 12:56 AM

wow, clark touched all the bases on irene. i don't suppose i could describe irene's current state so well. will just rubber stamp it and say 'what he said', 'cause it adds up.
i'll try to do the math elsewhere. there has been some commentary on the ITCZ feature near 40w. there is strong convergence and a monsoon-trough type gyre there along 10N, with the curvature becoming more apparent with time. the convection there is modest, but over to the west near the caribbean the general extent and appearance of convection is already improved... perhaps due to MJO's arrival. the 40w ITCZ feature is getting mention in the NHC TWO as of 1030pm... right now it needs to start dislodging from the ITCZ if it is to develop. i'd expect this to happen as it moves west over the next couple of days... it will likely be an invest tomorrow or saturday.
there's a large amplitude wave just off of africa with an associated low. since it doesn't have the slam-dunk development sort of organization, it will probably not do anything for a couple of days either. it should also move west, perhaps also becoming an invest late in the weekend or early next week.
worthy of mention is the general lowering of pressures some of the globals have shown in the gulf in a few days. whether they're on to a pattern that favors development remains to be seen.
i'm gonna go look at the 00Z runs and see if anything new stands out.
HF 0455z12august

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Loc: Texas
      #47635 - Fri Aug 12 2005 05:10 AM

5 am advisory etc out. Recon flights today should be very interesting. With Irene getting stronger and expected to slow down... more chance for recurve?

Looks like NHC thinks Irene will get to Hurricane tomorrow...

'shana

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Is this possible? [Re: HanKFranK]
      #47636 - Fri Aug 12 2005 05:15 AM

A local weather forecaster has this to say about Irene. Does anyone think something like this is possible considering the storm is moving NW and intensifying currently?

One thing I see is the building mid level high which will extend itself across the Carolina coast. If Irene becomes imbeded in this building 500mb high this would indeed weaken it. In fact what I see here in the next 3 to 5 days it weakens to a wave and moves westward toward NW Bahamas. The mid level high actually builds so much over it too that it pushes it soutward too. This could raise the rain chances for our area for early next week. We will have to keep an eye on this situation considering that I have forecasted at least 9 inches of rain for our area for August and this may be one situation we could get a significant rain event. This is evident as an inverted trough at 500mb for Monday heading toward NW Bahamas. In fact High pressure builds from mid levels to the surface also in the area over and north of Irene. So this does raise some questions as to whether even Irene gets to be a Cat 1 storm. As of now it looks like whatever is left from Irene the dynamics and effects of it may effect our area at least what will be left of it...it looks to me like it will be squeezed out of all its moisture especially being imbedded into a dry mid level high pressure area. The low level entity maybe all what is left when it gets here if it ever does or what is left of it. The scenario is a confusing one when one tries to see this on the GFS Model.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

craigm
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Is this possible? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #47637 - Fri Aug 12 2005 06:24 AM

Here is the link to the steering flows Clark referred to last night( I think) and their changes in the last 24 hours and 5 day movies.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/winds-dlm.html

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

J.C.
Unregistered

Re: Is this possible? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #47638 - Fri Aug 12 2005 07:17 AM

Irene looks more and more to be a big tease. Models has said all along that she would strenghthen and begin to recurve. At 5 am the trend for both has begun. I would guess that now there's a 75% chance that this thing will only spin the fish unless she slows down, and then perhaps gets sent w or wnw toward Cape Hatteras or Cape Cod. Just my thoughts based on years of watching storms in this area. J.C.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 667 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 70817

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center