F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane History

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
fatmike
Unregistered

how do they determine hurricanes?
      #48014 - Mon Aug 15 2005 08:38 PM

How do they determine how strong a hurricane is from say 1890 or 1930's. I know they didn't have all the great technology that they have now? Can anyone give a good link or quick primer on this subject/ Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: how do they determine hurricanes? [Re: fatmike]
      #48017 - Mon Aug 15 2005 09:16 PM

fatmike (hope you don't mind me calling you that),

I'm no met but will try to give you an educated guess. Although the meteorologists in the past did not have the sophisticated tools available today, they, and mariners as well, were able to record barometric pressure readings, and I believe that the barometric pressure readings are what determines tropcial depressions, storms and hurricanes as well as their strength. Thus, if accurate barometric readings are available for past hurricanes, mets could calculate their relative strength.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can chime in here.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #48022 - Mon Aug 15 2005 09:57 PM

Most information on storms that long ago comes from times when they passed over some landmass or in the vicinity of a ship at sea. You'll notice that there are very few storms way out at sea in the historical database of storms in those times (good example -- 1933, with 21 named storms in total -- http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1933/index.html), while there are also quite a few storms with only a couple of points near land -- as no one knew that a storm was even out there at the time. Thus, the majority of observations potentially underestimate a storm's true peak intensity, and it is likely that there were more storms out there that were never tracked in the past.

The intensity of these storms generally is determined from recorded historical accounts, land- or sea-based measurement systems (wind speeds in general, occasionally barometric pressure), and pictoral recordings of damage for those storms that made landfall. Some years in the historical database are more complete than others, with efforts underway (and complete for some time periods) to update and revise the historical database -- see the Hurricane Reanalysis Project for one such example. I think they are into the early 1900s now, as evidenced by a decent number of Cape Verde storms in the historical record for the late 1800s/early 1900s.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

fatmike
Unregistered

Re: how do they determine hurricanes? [Re: Clark]
      #48023 - Mon Aug 15 2005 10:52 PM

Thank you cracker and clark. Do you have a link to the hurricane analysis project that was mentioned?

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
      #48024 - Mon Aug 15 2005 11:04 PM

fatmike,

Think this is what Clark was referring to

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/project2003/hurdat.html

Edited by CoalCracker (Mon Aug 15 2005 11:08 PM)

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: how do they determine hurricanes? [Re: CoalCracker]
      #48029 - Tue Aug 16 2005 12:17 AM

Thanks for posting that, CoalCracker -- I didn't have a link off-hand to the project website. I've been anxiously awaiting our (FSU) contribution to the project, as that may involve some work for me as well, but I think we don't really come in until the 1930s or so, given that our primary involvement is upon cyclone structure, detection, and phase change using model analyses, which only become decent about that time.

Nevertheless, it is a very interesting project that has produced some good work already -- see the Hurricane Andrew upgrade for the most memorable example, with the San Diego hurricane of 1858 (http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34947&an=0&page=0#34947) being another -- with the more recent parts of the database still to come.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12780

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center