F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: cocoa beach
Re: Inland
      #4847 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:37 PM

Marci

Well if Izzy moves as expected,which he has for the most part, he should be well to the wsw of Cape San Bliss on Wed 1pm.

If by then there is a a more ENE or NE movement you may want to give the delivery Co. a call and just express your concerns and see how they feel about the local roads and how well the flood etc. Regardless of it hits it would be a good excercise in preparing.

Maybe meet the delivery guys there and maybe buy some plywood etc that fits the windows, clean up around the yard etc. You can always use the plywod again. Saves the trouble of dealing with Home Depot along with 100 other stressed people the next time.

Now looking a the shape of that cape ape and bay I wold Imagine that the wind would blow waves and water against the south showe of the cape and perpindicular to St Joes peninsula until it passes to teh north of the cape. then a more n westerly wind MIGHT blow some water down the bay but looking at the shape o the coast line on out westward I dont think it will be much.

Regardless I wouldnt stay out there if the center is going right over the Cape.

Just take the time Thursday to preprae etc. Its all part of living on the Ocean.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cappycat
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Raceland, LA
Re: barometric pressure question?
      #4848 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:38 PM

I have been searching for a couple of days for any definitive research or opinions on the barometric-pressure-early delivery thing...I have come up with just as many that say there is no correlation as there are sites that say there IS a correlation. so who knows!

it happened to my SIL though, who delivered at 24 weeks during Andrew, and my family is adament about getting us out...understandably. And as you said, going through a hurricane is no fun (we weathered Andrew) and the aftermath is not a place I want to be anyway.

Thanks for the input!

Monique

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Hey Kevin........
      #4849 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:39 PM

Go back and look at Opal's track in 1995. Looks EXACTLY like your forcast and Isidore is in about the same area that Opal was.

Interesting.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

RickinMobile
Unregistered

loop to New Orleans, Mobile, Pensacola
      #4850 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:40 PM

Joe Bastardi's site is a must read...because it was so close to land, he predicted it would cause a pressure differential, and the hurricane would steer itself into land more than most thought....then it would emerge in the Bay of Campeche...grow, and do the loop. look at the projected path on the weather channel and you will see agreement with that.

Category 2 or weaker...then explode back to a 4-5...and it will start it ascent into the land of misery. If it hits New Orleans...as a 4-5...you will have the greatest natural disaster in the history of the U.S. New Orleans will be covered in 20 feet of water....the levies are not designed for that sort of thing, ya know.

yeah, I would really be nervous now...all of us...it will be a real wierd week.

The storm is also projected to double in size...this could really be a bad one...I mean...the worse thing that could happen is to get over in the warm Bay of Campeche...then head north..

my thoughts, anyway...

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: loop to New Orleans, Mobile, Pensacola
      #4851 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:44 PM

Kevin
what about the Dennis / Floyd scare of 99? that was just as 2 stage as Bertha and Fran. Closer together time wise too

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: GOTTA HIT NEW ORLEANS
      #4852 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:44 PM

Frank P if that storm is a Cat 5 and it hits your area and you stay in your beach front home you have more courage than I do! Even though the home survived Camille did the eye come over your area?

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Hey Kevin........
      #4853 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:46 PM

Very true SirCane. One thing some people would argue is that Opal was only a Cat.1 when she made her north and eventually northeast turn. The truth is...this front comming down is a real strong one. It really should move Isidore N and NE, possibly like Opal. It should also be noted that Opal was a smaller storm than Isidore, size-wise.

Kevin

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Tropical assults
      #4854 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:48 PM

Note to Troy2: You're correct, I should have added 1999 with Dennis and Floyd. How could I forget about that year?

Just got the title "storm tracker"...cool!

Kevin

canman32
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Crstview Florida
      #4855 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:51 PM

Yep, as I said earlier the FWB/Destin area beaches have still not recovered from Opal, another hit and especially one of this magnitude would completly destroy the Island(s) in this area.

Opal was indeed a cat 1 when in made landfall in this region, we were very lucky in that regard

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Hey Rick in Mobile
      #4856 - Sun Sep 22 2002 10:57 PM

https://www.cnmoc.navy.mil/nmosw/tr8203nc/mobile/text/sect3.htm

a link to a Navy site re: effects of a storm on Mobile.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
      #4857 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:01 PM

You're right Caneman 32. If Isidore hits the FWB area (really wouldn't take a hit, Isidore is already huge and will get even larger), the damage will be catastrophic. This S.O.B. is poised to do a real number on the Gulf Coast...and we're all going to feel Isidore because he is so big.

Kevin

canman32
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Crstview Florida
      #4858 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:14 PM

Hello Kevin,

You are correct, with Izzy it wont take a direct hit. New Orleans would be a little far west, but anything east of that towards the Al/Ms line could spell trouble.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
situation/long set of forecast options
      #4859 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:17 PM

alright, going to tune my forecast one more time, then sticking with it rain or shine. it offers three possibilities.
for the next 48hrs i have only one track, that will diverge afterwards. the center has jogged sw onshore today and should stay just onshore the yucatan for another few hours. it should emerge at the upper rim of the BOC in about eight to ten hours. the eye should be less defined but intact, intensity maybe 95-100kt/948-954mb. the storm should begin to slow down even further in 24-36.. by then it should be back near cat 4. a piece of the shortwave that is going by to the north split away and is digging in over mexico, while heights are rising to the east. isidore should turn northwest in this environment.. and strengthen further. it may reach category five by peaks in eyewall contraction cycles. at 48hr the system is moving northwest.. here is where the tracks diverge.
option 1: system keeps a westerly component through 72hr and gets due south of beaumont tx. it then turns due north and picks up speed, hits the coast on the evening of september 26 in western louisiana. begins phasing ahead of the shortwave and accelerates NE to the ohio valley by the 28th.
option 2: basically follows option 1, but basically all movement is slower. environment begins to change as the system approaches the coast and it bends NE, coming ashore between new iberia and houma very late thursday or early friday, having weakened slightly (still a cat 4). NE movement is slower and rainfall is heavier, focused more in the tennessee valley. system is becoming extratropical over eastern tennessee by the 28th.
option 3: system moves slower overall, with more of a stall in the western gulf, and less latitude before it begins bending northeast. system weakens to a cat 3 crossing extreme southeast louisiana early friday and hitting between gulfport and pensacola near noon friday. weakens less inland over the southeast, emerges on the mid atlantic coast sunday and clips new england on early monday.. probably extratropical at this point. core of inland rainfall is from southeast louisiana northeast along the appalachians.
right now i'm leaning on option 2. i know, a wishy washy forecast but a forecast.
other stuff: kyle tropical! looks so much the worse. probably go west for a few days then stall again, loop, maybe go west again.
td 13.. late IR shots are showing convection developing near the racing center.. its alive for now. not going to organize much until it slows, probably not going to slow much until it's in the caribbean. think it will stay just south of the NHC official track.. be near jamaica on thursday as lili.
near the bahamas.. small swirl moving nw off the carolinas may develop a rain shield and be a weak unclassified system that reaches new england early tuesday. models still resolving a low in the bahamas in a few days, but until the ridge rebuilds it will be hard to tell exactly where such a thing might occur.
wave near 35w.. cruising along under shear. not a development threat in the next 24-48.. maybe thereafter. new wave coming off is nothing as of now.
thats the whole deal. i submit a poll to see where the board consensus is:

mmmkay, happy polling. keep in mind that when isidore is out of the way.. there will probably be a lili sneaking up from the caribbean.
HF 2320z22september

Votes accepted from (Thu Apr 25 2024 01:25 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
I don't know!
      #4860 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:18 PM

Every new satellite pic I look at shows Izzy going further and further inland....and I'm talking almost straight south. I'm telling you, this is more than just a wobble because he has been doing this for about the last hour and a half to two hours. This could mean a BIG change in everything **if** he continues to go further inland!

Domino
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Makati City, Philippines
Re: I don't know!
      #4861 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:24 PM

Shawn I have to agree with you - I been staring at these loops till my eyes about pop out and it looks almost due south, maybe even a tiny hint of east in the last frame, that I would call wobble...but this southward stuff....needs to change quick if its gonna change at all. Only thing that would keep me from saying its going inland and its done for is that everyone in the world thinks differently. If you can't beat em'...join em'....

mr jimmy

Reged:
Loc: Spring TX
Re: situation/long set of forecast options
      #4862 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:30 PM

I'm too chicken to make a selection on the track since Cappycat and I would be on the "fun" side of Option 2 between Houma and New Iberia and I don't want to bring any bad luck. Cappycat is a few miles east of Houma where I live, and we both remember Andrew. Put up the shutters, grab the wife and the weenie dog, and haul up to Turkeyman's in 601 country.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
      #4863 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:33 PM

Remember what Bastardi said this morning Shawn, and it is good adivce, not Bastardi hogwash. The further south this storm goes into the Yucatan, the further east it will hit when it makes its move. This is simply because Isidore wouldn't get that far west. He also the Yucatan could knock some strength out of it...but it would come right back up when over water again.

HF: Going with the Panhandle to Cedar Key threat. Doesn't really matter where the center is, the whole GOMEX will feel this storm. Very large and should get even larger.

Perhaps a track like Earl of 1998 would be in order.

Kevin

turkeyman

Reged:
Loc: Picayune, MS
Re: situation/long set of forecast options
      #4864 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:36 PM

Just give me a couple hrs. notice to clean out that bedroom. Got stuff in there where we've been remodling. We'll be lookin' for ya.

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
      #4865 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:39 PM

If this movement holds for a little while throw in these three options:
1)He won't come out at all
2)He'll get pulled back into the central GOM, stall,and then we have to wait for the next trough to try to get him
3)It still comes out as the NHC predicts, but you better start shifting landfall more to the east

But I think this will really have to hold for some hours for a wrench to be thrown in the forecast. Of course, I am very unsure it will come out to begin with. This better be a heck of a cold front that's coming down thru the Northwest, otherwise they could be really off the mark. But I don't think they made such a drastic change in the forecast on a whim.

Joe in JAX

bsnyder
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: 7 pm advisory
      #4866 - Sun Sep 22 2002 11:40 PM

Isn't there suppose to be a 7:00 pm update to the advisory?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 44630

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center