F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Storm Katrina Forms Near the Bahamas, Tropical Storm Watches up Vero South
      #48760 - Tue Aug 23 2005 02:44 PM

8:30AM
From a special tropical Update, TD#12 is now Tropical Storm Katrina. The 11AM update will reflect this.

(We and Skeetobite are looking for feedback on maps, let us know here)

6:45AM
TD#12 has remained a depression overnight, although there are some signs of strengthening in the eastern quadrant of the storm. Thankfully chances remain highest for it to get no stronger than a Tropical Storm as it approaches Florida. However, there ermains the possibility for slight strenthening and hurricane watches may go up this afternoon for parts as well. Because of uncertainties in the track and intensity of the system, folks along the east coast of Florida will want to watch for any changes in the forecast during the next day or so.

This is due to the dry air near it, and a few other upper level conditions that would slow down strengthening. However, we'll still want to watch it because of the uncertainty with intensity forecasting and the fact the negative conditions will lessen as time goes on. In fact, it's starting to look better organized right now.

The forecast track hasn't changed at all, but there is still a lot of error in that, especially if TD#12 sllows down more. The potential for it to stall over the area exists as well. Some models, like the NOGAPS, trend it westward, others keep it slower, basically drifting through the bahamas and eventualy onshore, moving at a snails pace.
Areas in the cone will want to keep an eye on it as well. It's important to note there is no real reason to doubt the current NHC track, it is the most likely scenario.

11:00PM
Tropical Storm Watches are now up from Keys northward to Vero Beach.

See Clark Evans' Blog Entry below & Ed Dunham's post in the Storm Forum for much more detailed discussion.

5:00PM
The forecast track, while highly uncertain, is not as uncertain as the intensity track. Thus the mention of a possibility for hurricane watches tonight by the Hurricane Center. In the discussion, the forecast intensity was mentioned as being under the SHIPS model. Going with SHIPS would bring a minimal hurricane into South Florida.

However, how strong TD#12 eventually gets is based upon how soon the center of the storm gets well defined and begins to wrap around. If it happens in less than 24 hours, the likelyhood of hurricane strength is much higher. The conditions around it and the water temps support strengthening, even rapid strengthening, assuming TD#12 can organize fast enough. Many of the factors to keep it down, include a upper level low near it and a bit of dry air. However, I think it's fair to expect a strong Tropical Storm or minimal hurricane approaching. But the error in that could be very large.

Folks will want to keep watching this system closely. I expect it to become Katrina later tonight. I'd lean toward Tropical storm watches issued tonight for South Florida over Hurricane watches, at this time. Persistance overnight and seeing how the storm behaves over the next 24 hours is key.

The future track seems fairly solid, but the potential error is large. There is potential for TD#12 to slow up or turn more northward as well. The more likely right now is for it to head through South Florida near Palm Beach or Broward, and move westward out through Lee County.

4:30PM
Watches warnings up for Bahamas, and Tropical Storm or possibly Hurricane Watches may go up for South Florida later tonight .
Original Update
Tropical Depression #12 has formed in the Bahamas, more to come soon.

South Florida will want to watch this one, and the rest of Florida will need to keep an eye on it. Most likely it will be a rain event for the region, but this is uncertain, the atmosphere has potential for strengthening.

More around 5PM.

Event Related Links
General Links
StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Katrina

Visible Floater Satellite of Katrina
Visible Satellite Floater of Katrina with storm track overlays
Animated model plots of Katrina

Bahamas Radar

Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Miami, Key West, Melbourne

Invest 97L

NRL-Monterey Satellite Data on 97L
METEOSAT-8 imagery over Europe & Africa from the Univ. of Wisconsin
Animated model plots of 97L

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: MikeC]
      #48772 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:34 PM

I agree with what Scott said on the previous thread. Yes, NHC is NHC.. I just don't see that as being the main engine that drives this thing. Wondering if they were able to go into the center sitting on the Cuban Coast to compare the readings or if there were flight restriction problems. Like to see data and discussion on why they went with the higher center.

And, really don't see that they can go with TD 12 as this is definitely TD10 and the assorted cloudiness. Back in the days of Bob Sheets they always would keep the same name ..not make two storms from one system.

Confused, amused and waiting for discussion. But, I agree with Scott.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: LoisCane]
      #48773 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:36 PM

Windfied profiles mainly, the wind direction around the southern edge was west to east, which would imply their center is pretty good.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
      #48774 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:37 PM

I dont think the center is near the cuban coast,, just south of where clark said recon might of placed it.. I think more near 22.9N and 75W. Clark said recon had it about 23.5 I guess we will see where they place it.

abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: apopka
Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: MikeC]
      #48775 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:41 PM

Just what I needed. I'm leaving Port Canaveral on Thursday for a cruise to the Bahamas!
Looks like I won't need to drink as much as I thought.
Any ideas on what I might expect?

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: abyrd]
      #48776 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Just what I needed. I'm leaving Port Canaveral on Thursday for a cruise to the Bahamas!
Looks like I won't need to drink as much as I thought.
Any ideas on what I might expect?

Normally they try to reroute you to a diff destination. However, leaving from Canaveral doesn't leave many options. I would call everyday for updates before you leave, and get hold of a bunch of motion sickness meds.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: abyrd]
      #48777 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:48 PM

I am still confused, especially after reading the HPC version. I think they are a little confused on their directions; either that or they forgot to mention it first getting into the GOM, then moving northward due to weak ridging. They imply the GFS takes it up along the east coast of Florida, then up the SE coast. I thought the 12Z still had it crossing SFL into the GOM? Oh well, time to find my darn Tapcons

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Loc: Florida
      #48778 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:50 PM

It's not XXTD10 not to say what was left of 10 didn't help 12 to Form, old saying you can keep beating a dead horse no matter how hard you beat it the horse doesn't get up..
Dave

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: scottsvb]
      #48779 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:59 PM

There does appear to be a circulation on the VIS at the head of the curved band of convection around 23.5 N (with a weaker swirl in the low clouds just WSW of there). The center of the broader system seems to be further south.

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: Old Sailor]
      #48780 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:00 PM

Looking at latest Recon data wonder if they jumped the gun a little maybe close to a TD, better to play it safe.

Dave

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: Tropical Depression 12 Forms Near the Bahamas [Re: Old Sailor]
      #48781 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

Looking at latest Recon data wonder if they jumped the gun a little maybe close to a TD, better to play it safe.

Dave

Can you help me with what it says? I can not figure it out.

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
5pm disco [Re: Old Sailor]
      #48782 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:06 PM

if stewart does the 5pm advisory package i'm sure we'll get an explanation of the naming choice... he's good about that kind of stuff. calling it 10 would be kind of a stretch.. the center we tracked off TD 10 died out on august 18, with the mid level center tailing behind. the actual track of the low level feature would be well west of what we've been calling xtd 10 and it doesn't exist anymore. the mlc hasn't been very solid either; really just a vorticity imprint. considering that official advisories for TD 10 ended on august 14... bringing it back on august 23 would be even odder than Ivan being reclassified off its mid/low vorticity remnant 3/4 days after the hpc stopped tracking it... or bonnie coming back from a wave after a five day hiatus from TD 2 earlier last year. this is more in line with TD 6/td 7 in 2003 (which was a depression east of the antilles.. then a depression that slid into georgia)... the two vestiges were related, but indirectly.
anyway, that's just a bunch of scientific mumbojumbo.. i'm more concerned with the classification of sheared and hybrid systems than dead/alive systems.
HF 2006z23august

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: 5pm disco [Re: HanKFranK]
      #48783 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:17 PM

if you look very closely, the center seems to be between the two convective masses

Colleen A.

Re: 5pm disco [Re: HanKFranK]
      #48784 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:18 PM

Hi, I'm back! Been busy, long story...

Just watched our local CBS station weather update. Their VORTEX (I think that's what they call it) model has it right off the EC of Central Florida Thursday morning...but he did say that this was not set in stone. TWC mentioned 2 things: dry air in front of this system and the warm waters right ahead of it.
I hope people are paying attention to the weather or they might be in for a surprise!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Re: 5pm disco [Re: Rabbit]
      #48785 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:22 PM

Yes, I see it...it looks to be exactly where Recon put the center. Anticipating the 5pm advisory from NHC.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: 5pm disco [Re: Colleen A.]
      #48786 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:23 PM

Quote:

Hi, I'm back! Been busy, long story...

Just watched our local CBS station weather update. Their VORTEX (I think that's what they call it) model has it right off the EC of Central Florida Thursday morning...but he did say that this was not set in stone. TWC mentioned 2 things: dry air in front of this system and the warm waters right ahead of it.
I hope people are paying attention to the weather or they might be in for a surprise!

Like Melbourne area?

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

Rabbit
Weather Master

Loc: Central Florida
Re: 5pm disco [Re: Colleen A.]
      #48787 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:24 PM

i backtracked on satellite imagery and this is indeed the same wave as TD10, but it split in half a few days ago, it seems that the remnant of TD10 is actually down around Nicaragua, and TD12 formed from the northern half

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Awaiting 5pm [Re: Colleen A.]
      #48790 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:30 PM

Eagerly awaiting the 5 p.m. track and discussion. The first track will probably be going over someone's house here in Florida. If it's yours, you are probably in luck that it won't really do that. Hopefully it just stays as a much needed rain maker.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

MikeG
Unregistered

Re: 5pm disco [Re: Rabbit]
      #48791 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:32 PM

AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE BAHAMAS HAS ISSUED A
TROPICAL WARNING STORM WARNING FOR THE CENTRAL AND NORTHWESTERN
BAHAMAS.
A TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE WATCH MAY BE REQUIRED FOR PORTIONS OF
SOUTHERN FLORIDA LATER TONIGHT.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION CENTER LOCATED NEAR 23.2N 75.5W AT 23/2100Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 30 NM
PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTHWEST OR 310 DEGREES AT 7 KT
ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 1007 MB
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 30 KT WITH GUSTS TO 40 KT.
WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT.

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Awaiting 5pm [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #48792 - Tue Aug 23 2005 04:32 PM

Forecast Advisory is out

AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE BAHAMAS HAS ISSUED A
TROPICAL WARNING STORM WARNING FOR THE CENTRAL AND NORTHWESTERN
BAHAMAS.

A TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE WATCH MAY BE REQUIRED FOR PORTIONS OF
SOUTHERN FLORIDA LATER TONIGHT.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION CENTER LOCATED NEAR 23.2N 75.5W AT 23/2100Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 30 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTHWEST OR 310 DEGREES AT 7 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 1007 MB
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 30 KT WITH GUSTS TO 40 KT.
WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL
MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 32801

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center