F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: tolling]
      #49309 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:22 PM

Quote:

I don't know if it was intended, but there seems to be something missing.

I usually locate myself by using Lake Okeechobee

Fixed. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
psnoop99
Unregistered

Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #49355 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:42 PM

They are always the best. I use this site especially to see the high quality maps. Thanks and keep it up!

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #49409 - Thu Aug 25 2005 07:14 AM

SkeetoBite,

Your maps are awesome!!!! I do not know of any other maps that provide the information and detail that you have been able to put into your maps, while leaving out the clutter. Your maps are easy to view and they allow you to clearly understand the threats to the area's in intrest. Maybe we will someday have the NHC using your maps.

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

Tjolley
Unregistered

Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: MikeC]
      #49424 - Thu Aug 25 2005 09:01 AM

Being involved in County Government the map detail is great. It allows you to see what the projected path is on a county by county basis. Most maps are just the state without much detail and you have to guess at the actual areas that may be affected. Please contiune to do this as well as the street level maps. I call those hurricane tracking for "Dummies" it lays it all out there.

Keep up the great work.

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Clermont, Fl
Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: Tjolley]
      #49476 - Thu Aug 25 2005 10:21 AM

I have to add that the multiple blues and greens are difficult to follow.... maybe a completely different color for each and the NHC in red??? Im definetly not complaing.... maps are much appreciated!

Edited by TAZMAN (Thu Aug 25 2005 10:25 AM)

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #49479 - Thu Aug 25 2005 10:26 AM

I love the detail on the maps, particularly county and city for these storms making landfall, but I do feel that the intensity line may be a little misleading. For instance, as of the 5a advisory, the intensity at 4 days is hurricane-strength but at 5 days Katrina is well inland and dissipating; the line, however, shows hurricane conditions along the entire path.

I'm not sure best to remedy this, though. I like the wind swaths more than the cone, but unfortunately the wind swaths aren't available beyond 3 days. There is the NHC's inland wind model, but I'm not sure if they have the equations for that readily available. I'll keep thinking, though.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: Clark]
      #49501 - Thu Aug 25 2005 10:55 AM

Quote:

I love the detail on the maps, particularly county and city for these storms making landfall, but I do feel that the intensity line may be a little misleading. For instance, as of the 5a advisory, the intensity at 4 days is hurricane-strength but at 5 days Katrina is well inland and dissipating; the line, however, shows hurricane conditions along the entire path.

I'm not sure best to remedy this, though. I like the wind swaths more than the cone, but unfortunately the wind swaths aren't available beyond 3 days. There is the NHC's inland wind model, but I'm not sure if they have the equations for that readily available. I'll keep thinking, though.

The line color truly gave us fits because the intensity doesn't change until the next forecast plot/intensity provided by the NHC. We debated just using a color coded dot for each plot instead of colorizing the connector line. We'll keep working on this.

We will be working on the inland wind models. Should be much easier to figure out mathematically and programmatically than the wind field forecasts

Thanks for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: TAZMAN]
      #49504 - Thu Aug 25 2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

I have to add that the multiple blues and greens are difficult to follow.... maybe a completely different color for each and the NHC in red??? Im definetly not complaing.... maps are much appreciated!

Thanks for your input. At this point, the only colors we are absolutely committed to are the intensity color codes and the logo/header detail. We will continue to adjust the base map colors until we find the best mix. Right now the biggest issue we have is that the base map land color is so close to the tropical storm line, wind field and symbol color that details are easily lost.

Here are the colors we are experimenting with for the close up landfall maps:

Models:

Forecast track:

Thanks again.

Rojo
Unregistered

#49512 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:12 AM

Love the maps but......the main map on the main page chops off the Miami metro area with the Recent News. And since landfall is in that area, it's chopped off too.

Keep up the good work.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: Rojo]
      #49514 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Love the maps but......the main map on the main page chops off the Miami metro area with the Recent News. And since landfall is in that area, it's chopped off too.

Keep up the good work.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your post. It appears that the map on the main page includes all the detail availbale except a portion of the Keys. Help me understand what you are concerned with and we will take a close look at it.

P.S. - Be sure to refresh your browser as these images keep the same name, but update automatically.

Colleen A.Moderator

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
      #49547 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:28 PM

Is there anyway to put two maps up? Say the 5:00am map side by side with the 11am map. That way we could compare the differences in the tracks for each 5 & 11 am/pm advisories.
Just a thought!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Seahawker

Reged: Thu
      #49624 - Thu Aug 25 2005 02:49 PM

The new map is great. If you go to cooridinates and pull up the Google map and zoom in, you can see that it will come ashore in Sea Ranch Lakes and after crossing N. Ocean Dr. it will pass between Chippewa Lane and Winona Lane. The NHC should visit this site. It would make their job so much easier.

XLM
Unregistered

Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: Seahawker]
      #49626 - Thu Aug 25 2005 02:55 PM

I think the maps are wrong, Katrina is going to make landfall in about 2 hours Max

Butterbone

Reged: Thu
Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: Colleen A.]
      #49637 - Thu Aug 25 2005 03:23 PM

I think the google overlay map is simply BRILLIANT!
It really gives people the chance to look at the impact level the predicted paths can have.

Especially home owners.
I know I will be coming to flhurricane.com from now on JUST for the google overlay map.
That map is what we have been talking about around the office for months!

Awesome job really outstanding.

--------------------
Yeah, I do stuff.

MARKINFTMYERS
Unregistered

#49643 - Thu Aug 25 2005 03:35 PM

CLEAN, CLEAR. DON'T LIKE THE BAR OF 'RECENT NEWS' INTRUDING DOWN THE UPPER RIGHT SIDE. LIKE THE OVERLAY OF COUNTY LINES AND KEY CITIES FOR ORIENTATION.

TjCCCCCC
Unregistered

#49665 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:09 PM

What would be very cool would be a track map using Google Earth...

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: TjCCCCCC]
      #49758 - Thu Aug 25 2005 08:14 PM

Superb!! Best on the net. Clarity, detail, track, wind radii. county locations, cities, etc. Thanks Skeet for helping make CFHC the most outstanding site on the net.

marmijac
Unregistered

#49771 - Thu Aug 25 2005 08:46 PM

the track map is very good, the overlay map is awesome!! /? an isobar map popped up momentarily while overlay map was loading, then i saw no option to view it again, can an isobar overlay be made available?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Skeetobite Maps [Re: marmijac]
      #49797 - Thu Aug 25 2005 09:20 PM

The google map isn't skeeto's (most of it was my coding using some code and ideas from a few others) but it's about as good as that will get for now. Skeet's maps can do a bunch more. But it is another way to view the data. There's a lot of limitaitons with it. If you saw an isobar map, it was probably a cache quirk. There's no option for any of that.

Been trying to play with creating kml files for Google Earth too, but haven't spent too much time with it.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

#49817 - Thu Aug 25 2005 09:45 PM

The google maps are indeed the fine result of MikeC's efforts. We will have full Google Map and Google Earth capabilites for the forecast and model maps. Our priority now is providing timely and accurate base maps. More to come.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 46631

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center