F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Katrina Forms... Hurricane Watches up for East Coast of Florida Vero South
      #49028 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:41 AM

7:50PM
The 8PM intermediate advisory is out, and recon has confirmed Katrina moving more toward the west northwest. As the storm approaches Florida it will begin to slow down, it may be a long day Friday with high winds and lots of rain for South Florida, similar to Frances.

It hasn't strengthened all that much, but the dry air is almost gone, and it's entering into an area with warmer water temperatures, and shear is relaxing, so it has the potential to strengthen overnight.

(We and Skeetobite are looking for feedback on maps, let us know here)

Jim Williams, from Hurricane City and West Palm Beach, will be doing his live audio show tonight on hurricanecity. You can listen in beginning at 8PM EST here

4:30PM
A new tropical storm watch has been issued for the east-central Florida coast from north of Vero Beach northward to Titusville...including all of Merritt Island and Cape Canaveral. And also a tropical storm watch for most of the Keys, excluding Key West.

Hurricane Warnings will likely be put up late tonight for portions of the hurricane watch area.

The storm is getting better organized again, and probably will strengthen overnight. The NHC's track has it taking a hard left, and the elongation to the west and east would support such an idea. However, it hasn't made a strong westerly movement yet. Folks in the cone will want to continue to watch it. Folks in the watch areas and eventual Warning areas will need to prepare for a Category 1 system making landfall. Expect power outages.

Original Update
Tropical Storm Katrina has formed near the Bahamas.

Hurricane Watches are now up from Vero Beach southward to Florida City. It's now forecast that Katrina will be a minimal hurricane when it makes landfall in South Florida Tropical Storm Warnings are now up for portions of the east coast of Florida as well.

The forecast track remains similar, if not a more pronounced turn to the west as it nears south Florida.

More to Come soon...

Event Related Links
General Links
StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Katrina

Visible Floater Satellite of Katrina
Visible Satellite Floater of Katrina with storm track overlays
Animated model plots of Katrina
Spaghetti Model Plot of Katrina from Colorado State
Bahamas Radar

Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Miami, Key West, Melbourne

Invest 97L

NRL-Monterey Satellite Data on 97L
METEOSAT-8 imagery over Europe & Africa from the Univ. of Wisconsin
Animated model plots of 97L

Edited by SkeetoBite (Wed Aug 24 2005 10:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Model runs [Re: MikeC]
      #49030 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:48 AM

That's a funky soulution that the 06Z GFDL has, having Katrina take a sharp left turn before hitting the east coast of Florida, then getting a ways out into the Gulf. Also interesting to note that after not even strengthening the system to a tropcial storm through the 00Z run, it now strengthens it into a cat 2 hurricane before reaching the far SE coast of FL and then blows the system up into a major hurricane over the Gulf in the 06Z run.

Considering the unrealistic looking SW turn of the storm in the model, the solution has to be considered suspect at best, but it illustrates how little changes can make huge differences in the models, especially for tropical systems.

--edited to change cat 1 to cat 2 in first paragraph

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Wed Aug 24 2005 10:59 AM)

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Movement [Re: MikeC]
      #49031 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:48 AM

@ 8am we had 24.4N 76.6W
@ 11am we have 24.7N 76.7W
.3 points N .1 point W , if this continues we will defineatly see a track change.

Big Kahuna
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: DeLand, Florida
Re: Movement [Re: Beach]
      #49038 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:14 AM

Does anybody have an updated loop of Katrina? I was looking at the RGB floater and its almost an hour old and Ive tried to refresh but nothing happens. Thought it was updated every half hour.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/rgb-loop.html

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #49039 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:14 AM

On the 11am they have a hurricane over Ft Lauderdale. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145105.shtml?3day

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #49040 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:18 AM

The fact that they are not still sure of an exact center leaves this system open. So far the track points are trending to the right side of of the forecast. As she improves in organization, I think the model runs will improve. I think initial landfall will be about 20-50 miles north of current forecast. Well within the cone of error, though. I would say that for now, all of Florida's coastal areas need to keep a wary eye out. I only hope conditions do not converge to allow her to bomb out past Cat 1.

--------------------
Jim

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Movement [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #49041 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:19 AM

Ok, if Pensacola gets hit for the 3rd time in less than a year all hell will break loose in this town. This is unbelieveable. The water is HOT right now. No reason it won't be a hurricane.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Inland Wind Model [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #49042 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:20 AM

For those in central and west Florida trying to get an estimate of wind speed with a hurricane as it passes east to west across the state, check the link below at NHC. Instructions are self explanatory.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutmeow.shtml

Beach
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
      #49044 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:20 AM

I don't see it going to Ft Lauderdale. A bit more North.
Look at the Visible:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

Click on the Trop Frcst Points.
Look at the direction that the storm is pointed.
Probably West Palm.

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #49045 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:21 AM

The only real danger of a bombing storm that I can see is if the storm tracks NW and doesn't take the hard turn until later. I think the best way to visualize this, the further north the storm lands the stronger it will be. As it is The storm seems to be moving fairly quickly. So, would hedge my bets against any bombing in the atlantic.

97L seems to be moving just south of west at about 17.2N 41W. It looks like a sheared TS, but no worries, either it will get together, or it won't. but I'm starting to think that it may trek west for a while. Which isn't what I expected from this storm.

Nothing else seems organized, Some nice showers around 12N 55W or so, and there is the wave in the Carib. But neither of those look promising. I think there is a wave coming off africa as well, but that's nothing to worry about for now
-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Rasvar
Weather Master

#49047 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:24 AM

Actually the August 26 12Z position is dead on top of FT Lauderdale as a Cat 1.

--------------------
Jim

Rasvar
Weather Master

Re: Movement [Re: Bloodstar]
      #49048 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:28 AM

The only reason I worry about bombing is that this storm is suppose to slow a bit. It does not seem likely; but intensity forecasting is still not very good. I can't see perfect conditions to allow this right now, though. A Cat 2 system at initial landfall would not surpise me, though. I don't know if it would have time to get above that; but, I am not willing to discount the possibility with the way systems have gone this season.

--------------------
Jim

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Movement [Re: SirCane]
      #49050 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:33 AM

Hey, pcola, check out the NHC track at the top of this thread LOL.

Well it is certainly too far out to say too much right now, but next week could be interesting.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: SW FL
Re: Movement [Re: Rasvar]
      #49051 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:34 AM

Lets hope it only makes it to Cat 1. The forcasted path takes it right over my house, luckly in SW, not SE FL. If this thing does rapidly intensify, which isn't likely right now, and follow the forcasted path, I could be in for a pretty good storm. I just pray that ULL keeps interfering with its development and all we get is a day of rain.

Genesis
Weather Guru

Re: Movement [Re: Rasvar]
      #49052 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:35 AM

Bad news for the gulf if the projected path verifies - the AVN is forecasting highly favorable conditions for strengthening (low sheer) starting Saturday... and given the near-90F water temps, that is NOT a good thing.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Movement [Re: Margie]
      #49054 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:38 AM

Right now I am under a TS warning and a hurricane watch.Things should start to go down hill tommorow.The worst should be early Fri. to about noon.People here are just starting to hear about Katrina,and the stores are starting to get very busy, as I will be.

Edited by MikeC (Wed Aug 24 2005 11:40 AM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#49055 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:50 AM

Really isn't too much to disagree with on the NHC track, there's a good case for it. Still cone of error is pretty large. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait and see if it holds after the later model runs with the new NOAA data.

But, right now I don't see any huge reason to doubt the NHC track.

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Movement [Re: MikeC]
      #49057 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:59 AM

Hey Mike, Maybe I'm way off base here, but do you see the NNW motion Mr. Stewart is seeing? I don't, but maybe I don't have a good fix on the center. I see it moving WNW and at a pretty good clip. I'm focusing on the ball of convection on the NW side. If this is indeed the center, it will be inland by midnite. He must be focusing on a broader center further east. Anyone care to correct the aging eyeballs??

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Movement [Re: Steve H1]
      #49058 - Wed Aug 24 2005 12:09 PM

Quote:

Hey Mike, Maybe I'm way off base here, but do you see the NNW motion Mr. Stewart is seeing? I don't, but maybe I don't have a good fix on the center. I see it moving WNW and at a pretty good clip. I'm focusing on the ball of convection on the NW side. If this is indeed the center, it will be inland by midnite. He must be focusing on a broader center further east. Anyone care to correct the aging eyeballs??

It's hard to tell with how the storm is pulling together now, looking on radar and on the visible satellites, it's really a judgement call. It's probably borderline NW/NNW.

Dry air is still giving it fits right now, and will keep it from going to strong too quickly.

If you see anything different let me know. I'm checking for persistant movment, and more recon points when the new plane arrives (Should be soon)

Registered only posting is on for talkbacks today. You can register a new user here if you'd like to chime in on Katrina.

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: SW FL
Re: Movement [Re: Steve H1]
      #49059 - Wed Aug 24 2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

I'm focusing on the ball of convection on the NW side. If this is indeed the center, it will be inland by midnite. He must be focusing on a broader center further east. Anyone care to correct the aging eyeballs??

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I don't believe the convection you were talking about is the center. The last couple frames show the clouds dying off. It looks like, to me, that it was convection trying to wrap around the center, but is having problems with dry air. Just my opinion, anyone elses?

Edited by Myles (Wed Aug 24 2005 12:22 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44304

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center