F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Colleen A.]
      #49427 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:14 PM

coll

katrina is most definitely north of miami, still looks to be moving almost due west...at about 8 mph...she should landfall just south of west palm

is that thing I or thing II in your avatar?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Aug 25 2005 01:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Update [Re: Ronn]
      #49430 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:18 PM

Looks like she is beginning to wrap around and fill in on the west side now. Believe it or not we are still in school until Noon today even though we have a Hurricane Warning and a storm less than 70 miles away. Bands are coming more frequently and more intense. A great radar site is to use the www.wunderground.com site and enter a city nearest the storm. You can then animate the radar and zoom in too. Looks like I will be in the front right quadrant as of now.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
      #49431 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:22 PM

Truly an excellent discussion out of Tampa this morning. It appears that Katrina is moving just south of due west. Oddly enough, the farther south this make landfall, the worst it could be for Florida's west coast IF it turns north and closely hugs the coastline. It will mean less time over land, and more time over the warm Gulf waters. With a track farther west, the Panhandle has some serious trouble.

meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Update [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #49432 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:24 PM

where is recon at. it looks like some rapid growth maybe on the way.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: LI Phil]
      #49433 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:26 PM

LOL...that would be Lucy, AKA Thing 3.

If this is north of Miami already, would you expect a track shift at 11am? I also wonder what would happen if it crosses over Lake Okeechobee. The waters there have got to be like very warm bath waters. The funny thing is (well, it really isn't funny) that the NWS for Tampa have a doom and gloom situation if the storm stays SW of us. They are waiting for more info before putting up any flood watches, inland wind watches, etc. They're hoping to be able to decide on what to issue just in time for the evening news cycles. I find it simply amazing that this thing is only +/- 100 miles offshore and it's still such a large cone of error. The poor NHC...they all deserve raises!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Update [Re: meto]
      #49434 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:27 PM

She does seem to be gaining strength,there is alot of wrap around.She is just about over the gulf stream,that IS were it would happen.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

naples
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
      #49435 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:32 PM

I was wondering the same thing if she were to pass over the everglades, warm water, but not sure if that would have any effect.

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Update [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #49436 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:34 PM

Think she is intensifying now, at least the deep convection is growing around the center, and she maybe crawling now. Big problem I see is if she heads SW, stays mostly over water, crosses the keys, then heads NNE. Coming up the west coast and crossing the state towards JAX/Daytona would be terrible. CMC and UK and GFS allude to this Albeit farther north when crossing Florida from the GOM, but if she slows to a crawl, this scenario could shift east over time as the ridge moves into the SW Atlantic. Outside possibility, but not out of the question. Main deal is to see where she first makes landfall. Definitely think she'll land as Cat 1 though....bet she's near 55 knots now.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Ronn]
      #49438 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:35 PM

Okay, I just updated the NWS loop from Miami....you can definitely see it's getting a little better organized; also, it DOES appear to be slipping a little south.
Also, I would like to pass along to Jim Cantore in Miami: you won't be dry for long.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Ed Rappaport [Re: naples]
      #49439 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:36 PM

Was on Channel 10 in Miami about 10 minutes or so ago. In it he talked about how the radar showed strengthening and they were waiting for recon confirmation. And he talked about how their is the distinct possibility of it stalling out within the next few hours and staying like that for a while.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Ed Rappaport [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #49441 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:38 PM

Seems to be moving at a good clip now...and wsw too! Not looking good for Ft. Lauderdale if this continues. I am still at work and can't leave until 12pm!

meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #49442 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:40 PM

where are recon. she hasnt even hit gulfstream yet. and looks to be slowing, she may get even stronger than NHC thought.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
GFS/GFDL runs [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49443 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:42 PM

Just looked at those & with the estimated landfall approaching would hope those in the Keys are paying close attention.

Having been evacuated several times while down there, I know what a logistical nightmare it is...one day for tourists to leave while residents prepare, then next for residents to leave if needed.

If either one of those models pans out the call would need to be made soon...would be nasty to have to implement in those conditions on such short notice.

Edited by twizted sizter (Thu Aug 25 2005 01:45 PM)

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Ed Rappaport [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #49444 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:42 PM

Wow...that's an ugly scenario. You can see it almost wrapping all the way around the center now. I can understand the stalling out as the steering currents are so light, and that would throw a whole new wrench into the forecast. AFLAC!

--------------------

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
south of Miami [Re: Colleen A.]
      #49445 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:46 PM

is still a possibility...if it is slowing down...then change in direction often occurs..

I am thinking about a 90-100 mph cane...and then re-entering as a weak tropical storm.....might even kick down to a depression.....

then....up to a cat 3 or larger....and anywhere from New Orleans to Tampa will be under the gun...
too many uncertainties....this one is a very interesting storm....

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Katrina [Re: Colleen A.]
      #49447 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:50 PM

Recon will be in there with in the hour.It does look to be slowing down ,and that is a bad thing.They are saying now on tv that is COULD be a cat 2 if it slows.It would be worse for me if it went just south of here,as that would put us on the dirty side.Looking nasty outside and getting worse.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

D3m3NT3DVoRT3X
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: The Burg < FL
Re: south of Miami [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #49449 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:51 PM

anyone looked to what is south east of Kat ... alot of convections firing off there this morning .. ?? some one posted i think it was GFS showing another system showing up behind the old girl Kat ... any mets or anyone esle have any ideas ... ?

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Katrina [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #49450 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:54 PM

I will also say this, all the ingreadiants are coming together right now for a strengthening hurricane. Probally not picked up or ignored by some models, and thrown out by others. So here we are, with a huge error in size of landfall, yet the CMC and GFDL models clearly show a really large storm, but downplayed by many. Go figure!!

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Steve Lyons [Re: D3m3NT3DVoRT3X]
      #49451 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:55 PM

Confirmed that right now, Katrina is moving southwest almost. On the recent tropical update he said this. Which doesn't bode well if it continues for us farther south, right?

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

lawgator
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: E C Fla.
Re: Katrina [Re: The Force 2005]
      #49452 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:55 PM

If you haven't looked at it in the last 20-30 mins, check out the IR loop. Very impressive bloom of storms: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center