F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: A little confused [Re: Frank P]
      #49534 - Thu Aug 25 2005 03:56 PM

And I'm starting to get a little antsy here in Tallahasse based on the forecast track.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: A little confused [Re: Frank P]
      #49535 - Thu Aug 25 2005 03:56 PM

You see what happens is, if there is an eye present, then it is a hurricane, which would mean the NHC would have to provide updates right away. Also, with an eye, tell-tale sign of rapid deepening, and with the falling pressure to 990mb, what are they waiting for.

Edited by The Force 2005 (Thu Aug 25 2005 03:56 PM)

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: A little confused [Re: susieq]
      #49536 - Thu Aug 25 2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

What factor will keep Katrina from the Pensacola area? Is high pressure expected here?

It is expected to go around the high and as it pulls away from the state the storm is expected to go around it hence the forcast path.

susieq
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Panhandle
Re: A little confused [Re: ralphfl]
      #49537 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:00 PM

Is there a map anywhere that shows current highs and lows?

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: A little confused [Re: The Force 2005]
      #49538 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:08 PM

There is no eye yet. It may be developing one; but it is still filled in on the visible sattelite. There is a lag between pressure drop and winds increasing. As of right now, they have not found wind evidence to reclassify. Noon position update is still showing a west movement. Should have a cat 1 at landfall in mid-Broward county.

--------------------
Jim

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
      #49539 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:08 PM

the eye is not filled, it is simply covered with high clouds at the moment. There are numerous hurricanes and near-hurricanes where it takes about 12 hours after the eye forms to show up on satellite imagery, and sometimes it never does.

motion i see just north of due-west; it is already north of Ft. Lauderdale, and I expect landfall to be on the county line of Palm Beach and Broward, with winds 85-90. As for the recon report, 990mb and 70 mph winds in southern side (weaker) equates to about 60-65 mph at surface, which might indicate hurricane force in the northern quadrant. I expect to see winds bumped up to 70-75 on the 2pm advisory.

Edited by Rabbit (Thu Aug 25 2005 04:11 PM)

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
A bit north wobble of west... [Re: susieq]
      #49540 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:10 PM

Really nice presentation on the Miami radar loop out of...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kamx.shtml

Looks like a 'cane to me. Clearly visible eye feature in the last couple of frames, looks to be moving just slightly north of west with the southern edge of the eye right about over the center of Ft. Lauderdale.

If that radar presentation continues over the next hour or so I suspect the NHC will update.

It appears that the southwest turn predicted by the GFDL is not verifying....

Cpt.Napalm

Reged:
Loc: Eglin AFB, FL
Re: A little confused [Re: The Force 2005]
      #49541 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:12 PM

There looks like an "eye" on the Miami radar but the "eye" is still not showing on the IR or the visible loops. From the sounds of the recon it is very close to hurricane status. Does an eye or even a eye on radar by itself in a storm make it a cane? It is all dependant on the windspeed correct?

Edited by Cpt.Napalm (Thu Aug 25 2005 04:14 PM)

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: A little confused [Re: Cpt.Napalm]
      #49542 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:13 PM

look VERY closely just to the NW of the Biminis islands (NW of Andros) and you will see a slightly darker spot, that is where the eye is about ready to show up at in about 1-3 hours
Katrina

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: A bit north wobble of west... [Re: Genesis]
      #49544 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:16 PM

Yeah, after staring at the MIA radar I'm seeing due west movement with a position 37NM due west of Pompano Beach. Last 30 minutes have seen much improved wrap around what will become the eye though the SE quad is still returning by far the strongest echos.

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: A little confused [Re: Cpt.Napalm]
      #49546 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

There looks like an "eye" on the Miami radar but the "eye" is still not showing on the IR or the visible loops. From the sounds of the recon it is very close to hurricane status. Does an eye or even a eye on radar by itself in a storm make it a cane? It is all dependant on the windspeed correct?

Yeah, its all about windspeed when it comes to official classification but that presentation pretty much comes with the pressure and windspeed to support the status....

She was close at the 11 AM without the presentation - with the convection wrapping around the center like this its pretty clearly deepening enough to support the upgrade.

susieq
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Panhandle
Re: A little confused [Re: Genesis]
      #49548 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:28 PM

If you look out into the Atlantic, it looks like we have a convoy approaching...

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm12/tropicalatlanticsatellite_large_animated.html

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
      #49549 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:34 PM

Models are so crazy after Katrina crosses FL I don't know what to think after that.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Other features [Re: Genesis]
      #49550 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:35 PM

If any Mets (or anyone else in the know) would mind pinging us with a few features out there. For example, the thunderstorm complex around 47W 11N, can it help reinvigorate 97L? (which is still spinning around 47W 17N, but increasingly seperated from associated convection).

There is also a thunderstorm complex in the southern Carib. 78W 11N or so. Looks like a mid level twist, nothing organized, but it seems to be drifting wnw and if it keeps together who knows (after all this season isn't lacking storms....)

Finally there is the thunderstorms around 68W 22N or so, (caused by a divergent flow in the upper atmosphere?) I don't think it'll develop, but it's certainly worth the look - see (assuming anyone can tear their eyes away from Katrina).

I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are....

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
      #49551 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:36 PM

Interesting that the 12Z GFS has Katrina off the SW FLorida coast just north of the Keys, then takes her to just west of Tampa and stalls her there for 2 - 3 days, then slowly moves her toward the big bend, then has her near Charleston and intensifying again

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: Other features [Re: Bloodstar]
      #49552 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:37 PM

I am working right now in Longwood/Lake Mary area and it is really coming down and is really windy with thunder and all. First one today!

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Right front quadrant [Re: Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser]
      #49555 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:43 PM

A few pages back someone was asking about the right front quadrant...the following is from the Hurricane Local Statement for Southwest Florida.

...TORNADO IMPACTS... LEE AND CHARLOTTE COUNTIES ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN THE RIGHT FRONT QUADRANT OF Katrina FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING... INCREASING THE THREAT FOR QUICKLY DEVELOPING TORNADOES.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
What They Are Waiting for.... [Re: The Force 2005]
      #49556 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:43 PM

is confirmation from RECON. If you read the discussion, it also mentions that although the pressure has dropped down to 990mb, the winds have not yet reflected that pressure drop. This happens with a lot of storms...I remember Charley as a distinct example.
They can't just "up" the winds if data does not support it.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Apopka - squally.......... [Re: Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser]
      #49557 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:44 PM

Yeah, I'm working in Apopka today and I am hearing thunder in the distance. Been kinda breezy until now. Rains coming, winds blowing......... Let the games begin!

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: A little confused [Re: Steve H1]
      #49558 - Thu Aug 25 2005 04:45 PM

RE: Steve:

And then look at the GFDL from a couple hours ago. It is still insisting that the storm will make a sudden, strong southward jog in about 3-9 hours and the eye will miss Florida to the south. These models are definately not in agreement at all.

To all:

I'd be concerned if I were anywhere along the southern half of the FL east coast today, and as for tomorrow...better check back closer to midnight and the next model runs! Do not assume that becuase the extrapolated track is west, and the central cone of the NHC guidence is west, that it won't deviate north or south. Remember Charley from last year and its sudden jog just before landfall.

Edited by Random Chaos (Thu Aug 25 2005 04:46 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55937

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center