F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wind Danger Still Exists [Re: danielw]
      #49991 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

danielw wrote:
I know that there is at least one other fatality reported. But I'm not seeing any references here.

Here:
"a 79-year-old man died in a car crash during the storm in Cooper City" --BBC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Katrina future path [Re: StormHound]
      #49992 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:25 AM

The sat might look like it is moving slightly northerly, but that's just moisture wrapping around the system.

Take a look at the Miami radar - it is still going almost due west - perhaps if anything slightly south of due west. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/amx_N0R_lp.shtml

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: FlaRebel]
      #49993 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:26 AM

If I had to pick a location right now 72hours out I probably pick poor Pensacola, which to me is unbelievable... I think the models will continue to shift ever so slightly to the west over time and if I was anywhere in the area from Pcola to PC I'd be in full hurricane preps by NLT this evening or early Sat....

Black Pearl
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile Bay
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: stormchazer]
      #49994 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:29 AM

The eye has reappeared over the last few frames of local radar. I will be watching today to see when the WNW component begins. I am thinking a small movement further west than forecasted would make a major difference in where Katrina ends up.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Other systems [Re: Black Pearl]
      #49995 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:40 AM

97L isn't looking ny better today than yesterday, and NHC mentioned that shear will inhibit development today, but it will relax again tomorrow. I wonder if it will ever form a system. It looked so good coming off Africa a week ago, but it never materialized.

The wave behind 97L is starting to get its act together, and the models are now showing it spinning out to sea and not getting very strong. Lets hope the models don't change again.

CMC is showing an interesting event occuring off the NC coast in about 2 days unrelated to Katrina. It is blowing up a strong circulation center and then dissipating it 2 days later. GFS is also doing something off the NC coast in the same place. Wierd.

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Black Pearl]
      #49996 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:42 AM

Fatalities - They have just reported on the local news that so far three related to Katrina and they were because of a falling tree (with exception of the car crash but, that involved a tree too).

East Polk County - we got some rain here last night. Can't say how much for sure but it is very wet outside still. Bright and sunny this morning but I can see a band off to our South East coming in our direction. Not sure if it will even make it here or not.

Well, as glad as I am to see the track more to the West (once she is back in the GOM) I am sad to see that portions of the Panhandle are going to be faced with yet another storm. My heart breaks for them. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Katrina future path [Re: StormHound]
      #49997 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Looks like the models think they have a good handle on the system now. We'll know in a few hours. It may be just a wobble or a reorganization, but the last couple of sat frames show a much more northernly component. I think it'll be until this afternoon before we have a solid idea of where she is going.

Sorry but you must be looking at a old map just got up and ran the last few hrs and noting near north as said west or even a little south.

check your map to make sure you get the right run.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Black Pearl]
      #49998 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:44 AM

Why is it that this latest interesting storm had to occur during the same week that classes started, I had an interview on the east coast, and a case of the stomach flu... I think I'm back to normal again, and ready to start obsessing about this storm.

I noticed the southernly component to last night's motion and assumed it would track the models west. That has happened, but there is still the forecast for a pretty quick turn to the north and then back east. I've looked at the water vapor, which usually helps me with projected path, but I'm not seeing it. Can someone explain why the models forecast such a dramatic turn in forward motion?

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Other systems [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49999 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:48 AM

There is model consensus on her coming in near the central panhandle, but don't bet the farm on it yet. Whoever get it may be a hurtin' pup. NAM has another weird solution, taking her into the GOM, and developing a low near Andros island and taking it NNE through the Bahamas. Weird, probably spurious low, but it keeps popping up! Cheers!!

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Terra]
      #50000 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:49 AM

Well before i go there is a trof coming down that is due to pick it up lter today or tonight from the northwest.

Gonna turn north just when is all.Goodluck all today and God be with you and i do hope it stays away from spots it has hit before and also pray it does not get as bad as some think it may,

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Other systems [Re: Steve H1]
      #50001 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

There is model consensus on her coming in near the central panhandle, but don't bet the farm on it yet. Whoever get it may be a hurtin' pup. NAM has another weird solution, taking her into the GOM, and developing a low near Andros island and taking it NNE through the Bahamas. Weird, probably spurious low, but it keeps popping up! Cheers!!

Its not just NAM that's doing strange things on the Atlantic side. Take a look at GFS and CMC also, but more north of the NAM solution.

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: hurricane expert]
      #50002 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

Am seeing the same wobble to the north

I saw the same wobble. I cancelled my plans in Naples today as I don't trust this storm. If one of residents mets can check this, is it possible it has escaped the influence of the high pressure ridge thus the 3-5 mph forward speed? It sure does not appear to have anything steering it right now.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: JG]
      #50003 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I saw the same wobble. I cancelled my plans in Naples today as I don't trust this storm. If one of residents mets can check this, is it possible it has escaped the influence of the high pressure ridge thus the 3-5 mph forward speed? It sure does not appear to have anything steering it right now.

Again I will repeat:
Radar out of Miami shows no northward motion yet. I believe what you, and most other people, are picking up on IR/Water Vapor is the wrapping around of that large convection mass that formed over the Keys last night. It is merely an optical illusion at this point.

However! I don't trust the models either. There is no run-to-run consistency yet.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Frank P]
      #50004 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:53 AM

I am ready to move from this town if Katrina comes here. There won't be anything left to stay for!

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50005 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again I will repeat:
Radar out of Miami shows no northward motion yet. I believe what you, and most other people, are picking up on IR/Water Vapor is the wrapping around of that large convection mass that formed over the Keys last night. It is merely an optical illusion at this point.

However! I don't trust the models either. There is no run-to-run consistency yet.

I was watching the radar from Key West earlier when I saw that. But I really don't trust the models. I'd like to see what is going on in the W and NW parts of the gulf regarding steering currents before I relax. This storm has taken everyone by suprise, especially the residents of Broward and Dade.

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: JG]
      #50006 - Fri Aug 26 2005 12:01 PM

Experts when is this turn to the north supposed to start ? Will I know by tomorrow at noon if I should board up our beach house in Gulfshores AL?

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: HCW]
      #50007 - Fri Aug 26 2005 12:04 PM

Uh.

Turn north?

Today or tomorrow?

I think we still have no real clue, though the models are predicting by sometime this afternoon.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50008 - Fri Aug 26 2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Again I will repeat:

Agreed. Now that the eye is starting to reappear it does look like it was just wrapping itself up again. As I said, once she gets herself back together the picture should clarify.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: StormHound]
      #50009 - Fri Aug 26 2005 12:17 PM

Looking at the current radar loop she doesn't seem to be moving too much. I think she's trying to figure out where she wants to go.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kbyx.shtml

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: emackl]
      #50010 - Fri Aug 26 2005 12:27 PM

She is opening her eye now but who does she have her eye on

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 60546

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center