F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Re: flight delay [Re: Frank P]
      #50059 - Fri Aug 26 2005 10:58 AM

Holy smokes!

Look at this vortex message:

URNT12 KNHC 261451
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 26/14:34:20Z
B. 25 deg 03 min N
082 deg 13 min W
C. 700 mb 2875 m
D. 45 kt
E. 318 deg 031 nm
F. 014 deg 081 kt
G. 306 deg 013 nm
H. 971 mb
I. 10 C/ 3046 m
J. 17 C/ 2871 m
K. 11 C/ NA
L. OPEN N
M. C9
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF304 1012A Katrina OB 05
MAX FL WIND 81 KT NW QUAD 14:30:50 Z

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: 11:00 data [Re: susieq]
      #50060 - Fri Aug 26 2005 10:59 AM

Confirms what the radar observations show: a little south of west at about 5mph...also the northern eyewall is eroding...the lowlevel atmosphere north of the system is unusualy dry and the strom is unable to build any real convection north and northeast of the center...no rapid intensification probable in this scenario...I think it will drift west for another day before we see too much movement north, unless intensification rapidly occurs and I think that is out of the question now, for all the reason's HF stated a short while ago.

--------------------
doug

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: 11:00 data [Re: doug]
      #50061 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:01 AM

maybe,. maybe not 971 is quite a drop.... will take a little while for the winds to catch up but that's quite a surpising drop... wonder if its correct????

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Katrina Back Over the Water [Re: jth]
      #50065 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:05 AM

Hi. My mind is just coming back to working order. Long Night in Miami.. amazing storm. Reading along here and wanted to add that I respect this storm tremendously and it's desire to go west and not pull north and really do believe that after looking at the water vapor loops and models that this storm will follow the western side of the forecast track. When a storm follows the pattern this storm has.. turning west around Miami vs going through the Keys on an angle it is more likely it keeps going west longer. Andrew and Betsy being examples and they both went to LA.. not the Panhandle.

Will see as the day unfolds but the one thing I do think will be a given is a little longer in the Gulf and it will turn into a Major Storm.

Guess this is the last Katrina we will see.

Any news on the family of five missing in the Gulf/Florida Bay who left Marathon early yesterday and haven't been heard from since?

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

MoparMitch
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #50068 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:06 AM

What a difference a few miles can make. My dad lives in Boca Raton, and I have a sister that lives Coral Springs. My dad told me that it was more of a wind event for him, with only a few showers. My sister had a lot more rain and more intense rain, although nothing compared to locations further south.

So now we look to the panhandle (again) and then inland. It has been a wet summer here in metro atlanta, and Dennis did not help. I had seeded my lawn just in time for Dennis to wash most of it away. So I tried again, and now Katrina. Do you think somebody is trying to tell me something???

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Re: 11:00 data [Re: MoparMitch]
      #50070 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:07 AM

TWC just confirmed the vortex message.... the pressure is down to 971mb

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: flight delay [Re: JG]
      #50071 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:08 AM

radar loop now showing a definite West motion during the past 30 minutes or so... see if it continues

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kbyx.shtml

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: 11:00 data [Re: bn765]
      #50072 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:09 AM

Saw that also...that's a big drop in a short amount of time...she's certainly full of surprises.

FloydRTurbo
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Des Moines, IA
      #50073 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:10 AM

It looks to me on Key West radar that the eyewall, while it may have eroded to the north after exiting ino the GOM, it starting to wrap around from the SE to the NE around the COC, closing inside of the previous ragged north edge of the eyewall. I don't think this would qualify as an eyewall replacement, but it looks like a tighter reformation of the previous signature eye which was much larger. I also noticed something on the visible sat this morning that made it look like this could be happening. Am I seeing this correctly?

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: 11:00 data [Re: FloydRTurbo]
      #50074 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:15 AM

Winds are up to 80kt as well. Note that the previous pressure of 981 was largely estimated by buoy data and continuity, so it may have been just a touch high. New advisory packing coming out shortly; the updated info is on the main page.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
miami [Re: Frank P]
      #50076 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:17 AM

Have to say ... North Dade mostly had a wind event. Big trees down, branches.. medium size palm trees... what you would expect from a Cat 1. Power out (though I have thankfully, luckily got it back) and STREETLIGHTS mostly out ..some broken. South Dade had more of a water event. No flooding here. Very little water if any even in driveways that usually gather water after rainstorms. South Dade has water damage.. and wind.

Was a beautiful, long eye... calm wind. Strong weather was on second half.. violent weather but by then the storm was stronger.

Enjoying reading what you all posted last night.. Bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

palmetto
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: flight delay [Re: Frank P]
      #50077 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:18 AM

Looks to me to be just north of due west, looking at the Key West radar. (This from the very scientific method of slowing the animation down and using my mouse pointer as reference.) Am I just seeing things?

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Katrina Back Over the Water [Re: Ed in Va]
      #50078 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Ron, the FLA tracking map doesn't show a path hugging the coast:
http://www.wfla.com
Is it somewhere else on the site?

Ed, the map on their website is the official NHC track. At 8 AM this morning, their on-air MET, Steve Jervie, showed their VIPIR model simulation of Katrina that hugged the coast. If I remember, their VIPIR model had the storm running up the FL east coast too a couple of days ago so take it with a grain of salt. Their Viper model last year did correctly predict Charleys abrupt turn to the right into Punta Gorda though.

--------------------
RJB

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Back Over the Water [Re: Ron Basso]
      #50080 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:21 AM

Officially up to 100mph (Cat 2) now, according to the Tampa NBC met.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: flight delay [Re: palmetto]
      #50081 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:23 AM

a wobble perhaps, it wobbled back west... still looks west to me, but .... I'm not quite ready to use the "N" word just yet... however, eventually is going to happen... big question is when and where

ralphfl
Weather Master

#50082 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Looks to me to be just north of due west, looking at the Key West radar. (This from the very scientific method of slowing the animation down and using my mouse pointer as reference.) Am I just seeing things?

IMO you are seeing things you may see a band going around but the center has no north movement in it all all at this time.But the south movement has ended like they forcasted it too early today.

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: eyewall [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #50084 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:27 AM

Extreme slow mover through the Gulf at this time of year. God only knows how long it'll take to move N and how strong it'll be by the time it hits land...

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: flight delay [Re: ralphfl]
      #50085 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:27 AM

I've created a new Forecast Lounge topic for discussion about possibilities with Katrina's second landfal
You can find it here

I included a few comparison maps there with past storms as an example.

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #50086 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Looks W and steady again.The NOGAPS and ETA have gone further W on there last runs.I like to see if the GFDL does the same.The GFDL has her turning N at 82.2' I think it's going to be a little while longer.As Clark said today is the day that will determine where she is going

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
new advisory [Re: MikeC]
      #50087 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:29 AM

New Advisory

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 60020

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center