F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anne_in_Clermont
Unregistered

Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: TAZMAN]
      #49747 - Thu Aug 25 2005 07:10 PM

Quote:

I dont know if it's related to "K" or not but it is windy here in Clermont and is now raining in sheets !!

Is'nt it always a bit windy here in Clermont?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: Anne_in_Clermont]
      #49763 - Thu Aug 25 2005 08:31 PM

Cape Coral, FL just west of Ft Myers. Winds N 19 mph, baro 29.83 steady. Thus far a little wind but no measurable precip. Things progged to go downhill later this PM with the worst happening between 1200 Friday and 1800 Saturday. Might be too early to tell but IMO looks like Katrina might cross further south of Cape Coral than the 5 PM NHC track which would be a good thing as long as it continues a westward movment into the Gulf ala the GFDL. Little too early to tell for sure. Worst scenario which I don't believe will happen is it crosses south around Everglades City, then comes up the SW coast as it intensifies. Local mets not saying this will happen but have mentioned it as a possibility. Schools closed tomorrow for the day. I'll be working until noon tomorrow and will post local weather when I get home and will continue to do so until Katrina scoots away or we lose power.

JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: CoalCracker]
      #49834 - Thu Aug 25 2005 10:06 PM

WOW Katrina went south in a hurry... and I'm not just talking about direction. Based on the radar I'd say the worst is over already. Sure we'll get some squalls with strong winds but in NW Broward the heavy rain is pretty much gone and it's only 10PM (EDT). The predictions of flooding from a slow moving system coming ashore in the wee hours of Friday AM were way off.

Damage should be limited to uprooted trees, localized power outages, broken branches/limbs and some pockets of flooding. Wind here blew at 50 with 70 tops, while places closer to the coast getting 90 mph gusts.

Power flicker off again here, but so far thats it. We have no visible damage but we'll know more by the light of day - I'd guess some scattered tree branches in the yard and no more. Hope everyone else made out the same as me.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: JMII]
      #49851 - Thu Aug 25 2005 10:25 PM

In between Apopka and Longwood...
Partly cloudy skies at this point, with a more overcast look to the south. Backyard weather station is showing a pressure of 1004 mb. The last squall (a couple of hours ago) had rainfall rates of .60 inches per hour.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: Aquanaut]
      #49948 - Fri Aug 26 2005 12:40 AM

I find it amazing that here in Port Saint Lucie we are getting another burst of rain and wind gusts. The wind has to be gusting to 35MPH. Amazing, I really feel bad for anyone closer to the storm it must be terrible. I can remember too well after being in the eye of both Frances and Jeanne how agonizing it can be. Good luck to all in the path of this storm

ps I know what I am experiencing here is nothing to compare with all of you in the direct path I was just amazed that even as far away as I am here, at 12:40 AM we still have some wind and rain

Char
Unregistered

Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #49985 - Fri Aug 26 2005 06:34 AM

I was in the Northeast of the Eyewall. The winds here were between 70-75 and gusts up to 80-90. The rain was really heavy and their was alot of different things flying around. This is the 8th hurricane I've been in and each of them have been different in some way. But the scariest one I would say I've been in has been Ivan. I just hope everyone stays safe where ever it decides to go next. Which I'm pretty sure she's got here eye's on the Panhandle of Florida. And with the water temp it looks like she's going to be alot stronger.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: Char]
      #50038 - Fri Aug 26 2005 10:07 AM

I survived!!!Wild day into the night.Got great video of Katrina coming on shore at the beach here.God help those people who will get hit next,she was very powerfull here.We got some bad damage .

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

JMII
Weather Master

Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #50056 - Fri Aug 26 2005 10:45 AM

Char and FtlaudBob - where do you live exactly? Due to the way storm went south I'm assuming more along the lines of the Daina Beach/Hollywood area. As stated above for me in NW Broward (Margate/Coral Springs) the turn south saved us from the eye wall winds, even the rain was not that heavy.

The GFDL model was right on the money for this one - it predicted the SW motion, while all the others had storm going west and coming out in Naples.

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
      #50062 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:03 AM

I'm alive and WITH POWER!

JMII - you said it man. I was just thinking back to a conversation on the boards early yesterday morning regarding the different models and their outputs and how the NHC seems to favor the GDFL and it's senario (at the time) just didn't seem plausible...but alas, the model was right on the mark...just a little off in it's timing. I think it didn't do what it did further out in the waters because IMO she didn't slow up as much as they had anticipated...therefore GDFL's solution came about...just over land rather than water. NHC did a bang up job with this storm! Kudos to them.

You know what's ticking me off this morning? The reports coming out of Miami/Dade Co...."We weren't prepared" We didn't know it was going to be this bad...it was supposed to go more north. Makes me want to scream at the TV....were you not in the cone? Do you not own a TV...did you not watch it! Some people will never learn.

In Deerfield - absolutely pouring! (shocker) went outside this morning and was surprised to see the amount of damage/debris in my neighborhood. Large tree down (on house, not mine) Neighbor's tree and part of one in my yard came down on my fence....big deal. I was relieved though....things could have been much much worse. Broward Co. has once again dodged the bullet for the most part.

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: native]
      #50174 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:41 PM

While the storm never came close enough to do any damage at all, there is one interesting side affect to talk about:

Starting early in the morning, the water in the harbor has been dropping significantly and several hundred yards of beach is now exposed. Some of the larger boats are now leaning on their side in the mud. I suppose this is much better then having them over the seawall and into the yard, but I do wonder how far it will receed before it stops. I'm not complaining, as it is quite interesting. I will post an image if I have the time.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Fri Aug 26 2005 03:46 PM)

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #50202 - Fri Aug 26 2005 04:37 PM

Quote:

Char and FtlaudBob - where do you live exactly? Due to the way storm went south I'm assuming more along the lines of the Daina Beach/Hollywood area. As stated above for me in NW Broward (Margate/Coral Springs) the turn south saved us from the eye wall winds, even the rain was not that heavy.

The GFDL model was right on the money for this one - it predicted the SW motion, while all the others had storm going west and coming out in Naples.

I am located 1.5 miles from Ft Laud beach.I was across the street from the beach when she came in.Was fun at first,but became very scary very fast.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Char
Unregistered

#50225 - Fri Aug 26 2005 05:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am located 1.5 miles from Ft Laud beach.I was across the street from the beach when she came in.Was fun at first,but became very scary very fast.

Hallandale Beach!!

JMII
Weather Master

Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: Char]
      #50282 - Fri Aug 26 2005 06:24 PM

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Seems your lucky enought to still have power. A buddy of mine lives in about the same area as FtlaudBob and has no power, he lost several roof singles and force of the wind managed to push the rain into his master bedroom. Just goes to show what a few miles difference can make since where I'm at the only damage was a ripped screen and a street light that came crashing down at 10PM - that sure scared us to death due to the sound.

Of course all of this will seem like nothing when compared the second landfall Cat3 / Cat4 is bad news

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
      #50669 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:16 AM

For anyone interested, superb Katrina footage from Ft Lauderdale:
http://www.stormvideographer.com/weathervine/katrina_web.wmv

--------------------
cheers

Stressedout
Unregistered

Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: Lysis]
      #50817 - Sat Aug 27 2005 03:23 PM

Great site.

I was hoping for some encouragement being that I live in Pensacola. It is a little on edge here. Seems this Hurricane is a little unpredictible from what I have seen posters here say. This makes me very nervous. I have made preperations as best as I can, stuff like removing all debris from yard, supplies ect. Thing is, whats that pivital point where you decide to get up and leave town? It;s sunny here today, seems all is well. I know alot of people struggle here with this question because we seem to have a target on us or something

Praying for a miracle here on the Gulf Coast

Kim

remedios

Reged: Sat
Loc: Hollywood, FL
      #51002 - Sat Aug 27 2005 09:34 PM

Lots of down trees in my neighborhood, moderate debris, and no power - of course.

I have been without power since thursday 4:30. Thankfully I have a generator, and I am now the most popular person in my apartment building. Just got my internet conection back an hour ago. We are making do with one community fridge, and everyone watching the same TV. We are handeling heat pretty well.

I hate to admit it, but I did get a little scared thursday night.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: Stressedout]
      #51032 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:18 PM

Welcome Stressed---- Katrina has been a very difficult storm to track and there is still alot of uncertainty with where she will make landfall. It is best to stay tuned to your local weather, the NHC, and this site is a great source of current info. I understand how you feel I myself went through 2 last year only 3 weeks apart so it tends to make you jumpy. Hang in there and stay safe

george1
Unregistered

Re: Situation Reports - Katrina [Re: MikeC]
      #51905 - Mon Aug 29 2005 01:19 AM

My prayers are with the folks going through this ordeal. Today I stumbled across a website at www.SupportNewOrleans.com which supports the brave people facing Hurricane Katrina. Others have posted letters of support on the site as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28018

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center