F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
New Orleans SLOSH Model [Re: Sneakbridge]
      #50523 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:49 PM

http://www.publichealth.hurricane.lsu.edu/CSPHIH%20main%20website.htm

http://www.publichealth.hurricane.lsu.ed...y%20Floodtf.htm

http://www.pubs.asce.org/ceonline/ceonline03/0603feat.html

http://www.nd.edu/%7Eadcirc/ivan.htm

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Update [Re: Rasvar]
      #50524 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:49 PM

Quote:

Also, don't concentrate on the line. On that path NO is well within the major danger zone. With a forecast like that, I would suspect that NO has no choice but a massive evacuation.

Exactly!

Remember that the line is the "central forcast track" from the NHC. Take their 1-2-3 model. Landfall near NO is predicted at 72 hours. Based on the 1-2-3 model, there might be error of up to 300 nautical miles. That is one h*** of a big distance when it comes to pinpointing landfall.

I'm not saying that there is that big an error, but even a hundred mile error could make all the difference for a state along the gulf coast. Look at how much the NHC forcast track has moved in just the past day.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #50525 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:49 PM

Quote:

how far inland does a 5 do damage?
The Cat 5 winds? Not very far.
The winds weaken rapidly upon landfall.
The thing that is very different about a Cat 4 or Cat 5 hurricane is the extremely small area that is prone to almost complete devastation. Even with a Cat 2 direct hit there can be flooding that requires total evacuation, but with a Cat 4 or 5 there is an area that you come home to...nothing. Now 10 or 15 miles down the road, or 3 or 4 miles inland -- no devastation.
I wouldn't generalize that much. Charley was a Cat 4 that had a 5+ mile wide swath that was devasting from Punta Gorda to almost Orlando. Every storm is different. Size, speed, land topography etc.

I'm sorry; I should have been more specific - by total devastation I meant that none of the buildings are left standing.

I didn't follow hurricane Charley so can you tell me how far inland from the shoreline that occured.

Edited by danielw (Sat Aug 27 2005 12:02 AM)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Update [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #50526 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

Skeeto,
Not gonna add the coordinants and wind speeds anymore?
that was your trademark!

This one may push me to render a manual map for landfall. Let's see when it's 24hrs away.

I'll probably annotate one of our new maps. I was becoming concerned by using the Microsoft Street maps considering we just signed our second deal with McGraw Hill in a week to license some of our maps for publication. Under the Microsoft MapPoint license agreement, we can only publish 1,000 maps at any given time and we cannot market their maps with our overlays.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Margie]
      #50527 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:55 PM

I don't know what to make of this Hurricane and I don't think the NHC does either. If it's going to find a weakness and move North it seems to me the NHC's track has it going WNW for too long. I don't know what to make of it and it's stressing me out just thinking about it. I think I need to go to bed..... Everyone in the cone of uncertainty should be ready. I expect the unexpected.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Update [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50528 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:56 PM

OK, very good points.

I think the real underlying issue here is that there is such a large population on the N Gulf Coast, so few escape routes with such a small throughput, and so few places to stay within any reasonable driving distance, that there really is no practical evacuation plan that actually has a chance of working. This is especially true of the MS Gulf Coast, which is hemmed inbetween LA and AL, and because of the early NO evac, has no resources or places left for its residents to evacuate to. Another problem is that by the time LA and AL residents have all fled to central MS because that is where they have been directed to evacuate, there is no gas left to fill the cars of those going N from the MS coast, who have empty tanks from hours of bumper-to-bumper traffic.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Margie]
      #50529 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:57 PM

Margie,

Charley 2004 was a Cat 4 at landfall. It traveled northeast across florida and was still a Cat 1 hurricane when it went back over water. This storm traveled approximately 165 miles over land. The devestation in Lake Wales was incredible. Lake Wales is exactly 72 miles from Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda.

Charley 2004

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
      #50530 - Fri Aug 26 2005 11:59 PM

The word on New Orleans is this:

We lose the equivalent of about a football field every day in Louisiana. Most of the "land" south of the city is just canals, lakes, and wetlands. There are some spots where communities exist, but mostly it's just wet. Lake Borgne is connected directly to both Lake Pontchartrain near the Rigolets and the Gulf of Mexico. The theory on the doomsday scenario is a storm moving up from the ESE heading WNW and passing south of the City. This piles the water up to the coast, pushes it through Lake Borgne and into Lake Pontchartrain. The north winds from the eye to our south pushes water to the Southshore of Lake Pontchartrain. Water then breaches over and through the levees. Much of our city is 5' below sea level and lower. Most estimates are that a Cat 5 puts between 20-25' (3 stories ish) into a great part of the Southshore (area roughly south of Lake Pontchartrain and roughly north of the Mississippi River). This is New Orleans, Kenner, Metairie and smaller communities. My property is exactly sea level. My house is roughly 3' raised. That means I'd have to swim up to one of my pecan trees or maybe on top of the either of the doctor's 2-story houses that sit across the street and next door to me.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
      #50531 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:00 AM

Quote:

I didn't follow hurricane Charley so can you tell me how far inland from the shoreline that occured.

Margie, Orlando, where I lived at the time is roughly 120 miles inland from Charley's point of landfall. There was heavy, heavy damage in about an ten-fifteen mile wide swath from 441 (Orange Blossom Trail) to a mile or so east of the 417 Expressway (Greeneway). Many people don't realize the extent to which Orlando was hammered. I speak from firsthand knowledge, my own home and church suffered a ton of damage. When I speak to friends from out of state about the experiences of Orlando with Charley, it is often the first they hear of it. For some reason the level of damage inland from Charley (let's say Arcadia through Daytona) does not seem to have gotten the coverage in the national media.

Edited by Big Red Machine (Sat Aug 27 2005 12:04 AM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Update [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #50532 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Skeeto,
Not gonna add the coordinants and wind speeds anymore?
that was your trademark!

This one may push me to render a manual map for landfall. Let's see when it's 24hrs away.

I'll probably annotate one of our new maps. I was becoming concerned by using the Microsoft Street maps considering we just signed our second deal with McGraw Hill in a week to license some of our maps for publication. Under the Microsoft MapPoint license agreement, we can only publish 1,000 maps at any given time and we cannot market their maps with our overlays.

understood.
gotta pay the bills!

Hawkeyewx
Weather Analyst

Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #50533 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:07 AM

If any of you have not yet seen the 0z GFS, it is predicting the strongest hurricane I have ever seen the GFS predict over New Orleans at noon on Monday. It has Katrina a smidgeon farther east and even stronger than it predicted at 18Z.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #50534 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:08 AM

I can add that Charley was still Cat 3 when it went over my house just SW of Kissimmee. Wind gust disabled my anemometer at 80 MPH and blew away a shed in my back yard that had strap down rated for 115MPH. Shed was also full of lawn equipment in side when it took the whole thing and wegded it between mine and a neighbors house.

--------------------
Jim

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hawkeyewx]
      #50535 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:08 AM

can you send a link please...

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hawkeyewx]
      #50536 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:09 AM

Quote:

If any of you have not yet seen the 0z GFS, it is predicting the strongest hurricane I have ever seen the GFS predict over New Orleans at noon on Monday. It has Katrina a smidgeon farther east and even stronger than it predicted at 18Z.

Got a source? FSU TCGenisis and CyclonePhase are still stuck on the 12Z GFS.

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: DougBaker]
      #50537 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:12 AM

Quote:

How likely will Katrina disrupt oil production in the GOM?

For some really strange reason, the gnomes of Wall Street seem to have decided this afternoon that the oil industry was safe. I'm thinking they could wake up Monday morning to a very different calculus and spike oil prices considerably. Certainly, I think the terminals and on-shore facilities in south Louisiana are at risk and, if it goes west a bit more, the huge refinery infrastructure between Houston and the LA state line could be as well.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50538 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:15 AM

The fact that it still is moving WSW and the 3-day track has it initialized as due W makes me think the shifting is not over...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/205300.shtml?3day

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

Meteorological conditions are not favorable for sleeping...

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #50539 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:16 AM

Random, go to the NCEP Central Operations Page (google for that) and run it.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

susieq
Weather Watcher

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Terra]
      #50540 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:17 AM

Looks to me like its taken a little jog to the north...

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Conditions [Re: Terra]
      #50541 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:18 AM

Quote:

Meteorological conditions are not favorable for sleeping...

We better get some sleep for the next 2 nights. Sunday Night and Monday Night might be busy.~danielw

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Terra]
      #50542 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:18 AM

I'm now seeing a westward movement in the last few frames of the water vapor image. Pay attention to the orange eye rather than the overall circulation:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

-----

I think I'll sleep now. Hard to do that with such an impressive storm out there!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 266517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center