F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50335 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:44 AM

Not to talk something completely unimportant to Katrina but I was watching TWC and I could have sworn if I could picture what FtLaudBob would look like and act like - his twin was on TWC tonight talking about how "awesome" the storm was.....I am not cracking a joke on you but, I had to chuckle and look up to see if there was a name under him - like Bob....:)

Hope everyone has a safe/dry evening!

Katie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hugh]
      #50336 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:45 AM

I decided to look at old tracks to see if there was a historical precedent for Katrina... I only found nice colored maps on the NHC page for 1995 and after (and the Unysis maps were impossible to decipher), so that's what I used. Here's what I found regarding southern motion in the GOM (in case anyone cares... keep in mind I was just quickly looking at these plots, so I may have missed something):
2002-TS Edouard crossed FL at a higher lat than Katrina, but in the same WSW direction. It seemed to dissipate in the GOM... I wonder why? I'd say we can hope for the same with Katrina, but too late...
2002-TS Hanna went south on Sept. 12th
1999-TS Harvey went south before crossing FL in left to right on Sept. 20th

Where can I get readable graphics for years before 1995.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50337 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:46 AM

Quote:

I think because the NHC did such a decent job with Dennis and Emily we sorta expected it for every storm.... well Katrina is proving we're not as smart as we think we might be.... there will be a lot of anxious people throughout the gulf coast states for the next two to three days....

Very true! We got spoiled, I think. I do remember numerous storms that the NHC and global models said would go to a specific location, but that the hurricane had its own idea.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hugh]
      #50338 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:53 AM

From Steve Gregory's Wunderblog...

Quote:

A high level, G-IV surveillance mission is planned for this evening, and it will do a major data sampling near and around the periphery of the storm to collect more accurate atmospheric data surrounding the storm that will be used to initialize tonight's 00Z run of the models. This normally results in an improved forecast in what is normally a data sparse region. This will be a major decision point for NHC s to how far west they may or may not adjust the forecast track for Katrina.

Steve Gregory Wunderblog

You all in AL. and points west hold onto your hats.

--------------------
Jara

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Terra]
      #50339 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:54 AM

Dr. D,

Try the historical maps on Weather Undergound site. Scroll down the page to find the section on Atlantic Hurricane history. Site also has excellent tropical analysis by Jeff Masters and Steve Gregory, but skip the comments sections. More chat room, wishcasting and other clutter on the blog .

http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: CoalCracker]
      #50341 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:56 AM

Thanks... I thought I remembered them having historical, but I didn't scroll down enough.... I will amend my ramblings in a bit.

Ok, so, using wunderground... from 1994 and earlier (but I stopped in 1970)... Wow, not many in the recent history.. none from 85-94!
1985 Hurr. Bob went a little south in the GOM before crossing FL left to right.
1983 Hurr Barry... this is the best one... did almost exactly what Katrina did, but a little higher lat... ended up in Mexico.
1977 Hurr Babe... closer to LA, but also went south.. ended up in central LA.
1972 Unnamed ST Storm... went south across FL right to left and died in GOM

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Edited by Terra (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:07 AM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #50342 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:59 AM

What is the name of the really old weather guy in N.O. that they always pull out of mothballs to forcast hurricanes? I can remember during Georges he nailed that forcast. I also remember that he refused to use anything but a drawing for his maps...damn, what is his name?

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: stormchazer]
      #50343 - Sat Aug 27 2005 12:59 AM

Quote:

Steve Gregory Wunderblog

You all in AL. and points west hold onto your hats.

Thanks - but are you implying that those of us in the Florida Panhandle are off the hook? I don't think it's safe to say that by ANY means!

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: stormchazer]
      #50344 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:00 AM

hats and other things as well for sure... just wondering to myself just how far this is going to go west... read on anther forum that Joe Bastardi was forecasting Cat 5 for NO.... can someone confirm that was indeed his forecast.... that's hard to believe ...

at 7:52 pm I have Katrina at ~24.7n 83.5w.... still looks wsw (per IR) or just south of due west (per radar)..

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Terra]
      #50345 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:02 AM

You might also want to try this page...

NOAA Historical Interactive Hurricane Track Page

You can plot historical storms within a certain distance of a certain lat/lon pair.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #50346 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:02 AM

Call it a gut feeling or whatever. I don't think she gets west of Pensacola. I think she meanders enough before she starts north that the NE curve will catch her and put her between Pensacola and PC. Any mets care to weigh in. Jason?? Clark??

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #50347 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:02 AM

I really don't think anyone is safe, way too much uncertainly with the forecast... guarantee the NHC is pulling out all the tricks to get the best forecast they can... so much is riding on this attm...

heck, I would be worring if I was in the Yucatan...

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #50348 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:03 AM

Quote:

I decided to look at old tracks to see if there was a historical precedent for Katrina... I only found nice colored maps on the NHC page for 1995 and after (and the Unysis maps were impossible to decipher), so that's what I used. Here's what I found regarding southern motion in the GOM (in case anyone cares... keep in mind I was just quickly looking at these plots, so I may have missed something):
2002-TS Edouard crossed FL at a higher lat than Katrina, but in the same WSW direction. It seemed to dissipate in the GOM... I wonder why? I'd say we can hope for the same with Katrina, but too late...
2002-TS Hanna went south on Sept. 12th
1999-TS Harvey went south before crossing FL in left to right on Sept. 20th

Where can I get readable graphics for years before 1995.

Edouard 2002
Hanna 2002
Harvey 1999

We have the overall tracks and U.S. close up zoom for all tracks since 1851. Working to release some of this content tonight or early tomorrow...

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: WeatherNut]
      #50349 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:03 AM

Quote:

What is the name of the really old weather guy in N.O. that they always pull out of mothballs to forcast hurricanes? I can remember during Georges he nailed that forcast. I also remember that he refused to use anything but a drawing for his maps...damn, what is his name?

Nash Roberts, WWL-TV

--------------------
Jason Kelley

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: wxman007]
      #50350 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:05 AM

Eye is forming. You can see it here, on the infared:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: WeatherNut]
      #50351 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:07 AM

Quote:

Nash Roberts? Whoops... sorry Jason, you beat me!

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Edited by Terra (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:08 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: FlaRebel]
      #50352 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:07 AM

Quote:

Call it a gut feeling or whatever. I don't think she gets west of Pensacola. I think she meanders enough before she starts north that the NE curve will catch her and put her between Pensacola and PC. Any mets care to weigh in. Jason?? Clark??

Bite your tongue! *I* am midway between Pensacola and PC!!!

Having said that... you may very well be right. Looking at the sat. and wv loops it looks like that's a line just NW of Katrina - feeder band, or whatever... that has been growing steadily over the last several hours, in addition to the "trough" to the storm's west. the line north of the storm may get sucked in and cause a northward component? I dunno, but it seems feasible to my thinking.

--------------------
Hugh

FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #50353 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bite your tongue! *I* am midway between Pensacola and PC!!!

Having said that... you may very well be right. Looking at the sat. and wv loops it looks like that's a line just NW of Katrina - feeder band, or whatever... that has been growing steadily over the last several hours, in addition to the "trough" to the storm's west. the line north of the storm may get sucked in and cause a northward component? I dunno, but it seems feasible to my thinking.

Hugh, I'm in Tallahassee, so I ain't wishcasting. I'd really like Jason or Clark to give their opinion on this.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #50354 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:10 AM

Quote:

Nash Roberts. He's not really that old.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: FlaRebel]
      #50356 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:13 AM

Quote:

Hugh, I'm in Tallahassee, so I ain't wishcasting. I'd really like Jason or Clark to give their opinion on this.

Me too, as for getting their opinion. It's really anybody's guess right now. I would not be shocked if it hit Cuba - seriously. But it likely that it is boucing around, trying to find a weakness in the ridge, but being blocked.

--------------------
Hugh

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 266061

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center