F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50378 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:40 AM

You have to use your imagination when looking at historical plots. You'll never find an exact match...

I know where Phoenix, LA is.... My mom grew up there.... it is way the heck down the River in Plaquemin's Parish...

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50379 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

I wonder where in Lousiana is Phoenix is located???? west of Morgan City .... hehe.... thanks for narrowing it down so tight Jason... funny

Uh... the Phoenix that Jason is talking about is the one in Arizona, I'm pretty sure :P

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #50380 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:41 AM

I can not think of a worse place for a possible monster like this to hit then one that would put NO in the NE eye wall. The only saving grace would be a quick forward speed might reduce the flooding from rain; but not sure the levy system would not get breached by surge through the delta.

The bad of a fat forward speed is the lack of chance to weaken prior to landfall. I know firsthand what Charley did to the interior of Florida thanks to his forward speed. I never expected to have a 115MPH storm pass over my house in the center of the state. I just hope she does not attain her potential. Would love to see an under acheiver.

--------------------
Jim

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50381 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:42 AM

Nobody has thrown this out there yet so I will. What are the possibility of this making a loop out there with its slow movement? It has not behaved well so far, so a loop would just be classic.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Rasvar]
      #50383 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:42 AM

I am still trying to figure out why the NHC didn't pick up on the SW track Katrina took after it made landfall. If you looked at Radar/Sat just after landfall, you could clearly see a SW movement. Several people on here verified it. Now this new track...well, i have no clue.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hugh]
      #50384 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

1947, unnamed, almost identical path. Not a good outcome.

Sorry, but that path is in no way similar to Katrina's. The 1947 storm moved south to the east of Florida, not to the west. And, it was weaker.

Actually, Both Betsy and the 1947 storm has paths similar to Katrina's path. Dr. Dassau stated that Betsy had deflected south on the east side of FL. Whereas Katrina started her SW movement prior to landfall and is continuing that direction at this time.

Betsy and 1947 storm tracks would be comparable to Katrina's to this point.

MissouriHurricane2008
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: MikeC]
      #50385 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:44 AM

I am tired of people blaming the NHC for not know where Katrina is going. They are doing the best they can, but they are dealing with mother nature. We can't predict 100% sure where this monster is going we can guess 99% but mother nature is that other 1%. She can thow a punch that could devesate the Gulf Coast. We need to stop blaming and preparing.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: dolfinatic]
      #50386 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:44 AM

Quote:

Nobody has thrown this out there yet so I will. What are the possibility of this making a loop out there with its slow movement? It has not behaved well so far, so a loop would just be classic.

Oh, no! Not another Elena!!!!!!! Please no!!!

The more I look at that band that is running NW of the hurricane, though, the more I think a loop is possible.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

StormTrooper
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio Go! Spurs Go!
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: danielw]
      #50387 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:46 AM

This is almost a reverse Andrew. Weak going through Florida, Going into La. A very dangerous storm. I have the same feeling about the 11pm update. They need to move this cone west.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hugh]
      #50388 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, no! Not another Elena!!!!!!! Please no!!!

The more I look at that band that is running NW of the hurricane, though, the more I think a loop is possible.

The band is classic of a hurricane even going up ther NW side so i really don't think that has anything to do with a loop since if you look at past storms they have the same type of bands that stray away from the center.

What is a blessing is its still 100 mph and has not blown up like many thought.

Edited by ralphfl (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:49 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: danielw]
      #50389 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:51 AM

When do you think we'll be seeing results from the 27/0000Z recon flight? I was thinking it is pretty close to Katrina by now?

I wondered if the flight was timed to have data coming in prior to the 11pm NHC advisory and discussion.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: ralphfl]
      #50390 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:52 AM

[quote
The band is classic of a hurricane even going up ther NW side so i really don't think that has anything to do with a loop since if you look at past storms they have the same type of bands that stray away from the center.
What is a blessing is its still 100 mph and has not blown up like many thought.

Regarding the banding, true, but I don't remember seeing it quite like this before, but that may be just my memory.

Regarding the blessing - based upon the trend with IR and WV imagery, I would not be surprised in the intensity were increased to 105-110 MPH in the 10pm CT package.

--------------------
Hugh

belleami
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St George Island/ Apalachicola
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: ralphfl]
      #50391 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:53 AM

What is the possibility of its turning north much sooner than predicted? That's what I worry about.

--------------------
hang on!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Margie]
      #50392 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:54 AM

Quote:

When do you think we'll be seeing results from the 27/0000Z recon flight? I was thinking it is pretty close to Katrina by now?

I wondered if the flight was timed to have data coming in prior to the 11pm NHC advisory and discussion.

It seems like they always get the info from the recon flights about 5-15 minutes AFTER they send out the advisory package. That is what happened at the 10am package, and they ended up issuing a special advisory package at 10:30am.

--------------------
Hugh

StormTrooper
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio Go! Spurs Go!
      #50393 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:54 AM

wow just heard Steve Lyons say the word Texas. I think the NW wobble is over looks as if its jogged sw again. Best guess would be W for the next 18-24 hours. If this is right La. might get the silver bullet they have been dodging for many years. Input anyone?

Edited by danielw (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:58 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Recon [Re: Margie]
      #50394 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:57 AM

FLIGHT TWO
A. 27/0600,1200Z
B. AFXXX 1212A Katrina
C. 27/0300Z
D. 26.5N 82.4W
E. 27/0500Z TO 27/1230Z
F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

03Z for takeoff time. That's one hour from now.

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: wxman007]
      #50395 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hugh, I'm in Tallahassee, so I ain't wishcasting. I'd really like Jason or Clark to give their opinion on this.

My feelings have been blown out of the water today.

I have zero confidence in any model solution at this point...I am currently going old school and doing more diagnostic than model interp right now, trying to get a handle on these model vacillations. This is a TOUGH forecast. I am not ready to commit to anything more narrowed down thatn Apalachicola to Grand Isle at this point. Sorry...but this is a real problem to forecast.

Thank you for your honesty. This is a disturbing storm to say the least. Is there a possiblity that this storm stalls after going SW another 50-100 miles? If so, what are the implications for all of the GOM??? All of my friends in the Tampa Bay area are ignoring the storm, so I wonder if they have a clue as to just how unpredictable GOM storms are....

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: StormTrooper]
      #50397 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:58 AM

Quote:

wow just heard Steve Lyons (cone head) say the word Texas. I think the NW wobble is over looks as if its jogged sw again. Best guess would be W for the next 18-24 hours. If this is right La. might get the silver bullet they have been dodging for many years. Input anyone?

If Lyons said Texas, I may move to Texas because it may be the only place safe from Katrina. LOL. Not really, but I don't have a high opinion of Lyons.

I agree with your best guess.

ETA: Looking at the IR imagery, the eye is going away again.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:17 AM)

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: StormTrooper]
      #50398 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:59 AM

Quote:

wow just heard Steve Lyons say the word Texas. I think the NW wobble is over looks as if its jogged sw again. Best guess would be W for the next 18-24 hours. If this is right La. might get the silver bullet they have been dodging for many years. Input anyone?

yeah maybe it will go back down to cuba! then head over to mexico too! no Im pretty sure this one will head nw then east. Im gonna stick with the fl landfall!

Edited by danielw (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:07 AM)

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: dolfinatic]
      #50399 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:59 AM

Actually, when I was looking at the latest IR pix, the idea of a loop ran through my mind. Just seems like the center is tucking down under to the south. Look at the overall presentation of the storm. It is moving SW. The convection up to the north of her is also part of a trough, not a band, although it will get sucked into her. I wouldn't want to be a forecaster on this one.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 266040

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center