F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: wxman007]
      #50420 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:23 AM

Well that's really good news (the HPC points)...south of Lake Charles LA is just about the only place on the N Gulf Coast where the coastline is sparsely populated.

However the NHC lat/lon is identical to the path of (sorry, Frank P) Camille - Waveland, MS.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Steve]
      #50421 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:23 AM

Quote:

>>72 hr on coast 30.5 89.5 (Biloxi ish) 115g140

Jason, that's a hair North east of me. My house is about 29.9/89.9. It would either imply a NW heading at landfall or a hit somewhere in the Slidell, Pearl River, Waveland, Henderson Point, Bay St. Louis areas, wouldn't it? (just going off of memory since I didn't check any of their actual cordinates).

Steve

At first blush, it looks like Diamondhead to me...I'll need to wait on actually plottable on my stuff when the adv comes out...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

DougBaker
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50422 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:24 AM

I found this site a few months ago. Thanks to all for the great information.

I am in Fort Collins, Co. so my only direct connection to hurricanes is that Dr. Grey works at nearby Colorado State Univeristy. I know his group makes a forcast for the number of storms each season.

Anyway, here is my question.
How likely will Katrina disrupt oil production in the GOM? I know the forcast is changing and no knows were the storm will go.

It seems this is one storm that could affect everyone in the United States not just the unlucky ones along the coast.

Doug Baker

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Margie]
      #50423 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:24 AM

I am sure the people south of Lake Charles LA do not think so..

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #50424 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:24 AM

Quote:

Ralph, the predictions were not for it to be a strong 4/5 already. Katrina has already overshot the intensity estimates from last night. Give it time... the intensity is more likely than not going to go way up.

Im taking about the predictions of the people on here not the ones who know what they are talking about.Yesterday people were talking strong 4 easy and a cat 3 when it got to the gulf.

So i was referring to the people on here who also said it was going to go upthe west coast but all those guys are not around now.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Steve]
      #50425 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:26 AM

Im at 89... 89.5 is the MS/LA line.... I could live with that even with a Cat 4..

Edited by Frank P (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:27 AM)

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Lysis]
      #50426 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:27 AM

Quote:

Im glad we have not seen any sign of this coming into a strong cat 4 storm or a 5 like many thought it would be already.

Many were thinking as soon as it hit the GOM it would be a 3 but thank you for the dry air.

What are you talking about? This is probably going to be a very dangerous situation in the following days. The official forecast has a solid category four making landfall along the gulf coast. The cyclone remained consolidated throughout it’s duration over the peninsula, and there is really no reason for it not to deepen. Which it is. As was pointed out earlier... it is infact overshooting most of the sound early intensity estimates.

are you reading what the NHC is putting out as at landfall? 115 that is not a strong 4 nor a solid 4 or even a 4 that is what is coming out at 11pm

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: DougBaker]
      #50427 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:28 AM

Quote:

I found this site a few months ago. Thanks to all for the great information.

I am in Fort Collins, Co. so my only direct connection to hurricanes is that Dr. Grey works at nearby Colorado State Univeristy. I know his group makes a forcast for the number of storms each season.

Anyway, here is my question.
How likely will Katrina disrupt oil production in the GOM? I know the forcast is changing and no knows were the storm will go.

It seems this is one storm that could affect everyone in the United States not just the unlucky ones along the coast.

Doug Baker

Per CNN & Fox News the rigs began evacuating this afternoon. But that was before the shift west. They could clear out all of the LA coastal rigs tommorrow if the forecast path remains consistent tommorrow.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: ralphfl]
      #50428 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:29 AM

well ralph if i am not mistaken that is 115 kts which equates to around 130-133 mph which if i am not mistaken IS 4

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

kim_in_pensacola

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: JG]
      #50429 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:30 AM

My girlfriend's husband is a helicopter pilot for the rigs. They are definitely moving out.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: wxman007]
      #50430 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:30 AM

Diamondhead is north of BSL..... 89.36

sorry typo

Edited by Frank P (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:32 AM)

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: ralphfl]
      #50431 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:30 AM

Quote:

are you reading what the NHC is putting out as at landfall? 115 that is not a strong 4 nor a solid 4 or even a 4 that is what is coming out at 11pm

115 KNOTS is Cat 4...that is the NHC forecast....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Frank P]
      #50432 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:30 AM

Doug,

I don't know if you can trade futures on a Saturday or not (maybe overseas), and I'm not even sure how all that works. But with current thinking, the daily record run up in oil prices ain't stopped yet. But if investors were giddy today, they're going to be going insane tomorrow unless a shift in the models and NHC edges back toward Alabama. The refineries and production could be hampered beyond belief with an LA or TX (first time I've said that word) offshore threat. I don't know where it's going, but I can promise you that investors will be even more skiddish tomorrow.

PS Send me a 5% cut.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #50433 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:31 AM

That was 115 knots, Not MPH. 114-135 knots is Cat 4.

--------------------
Jim

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #50434 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:32 AM

Quote:

Doug,

I don't know if you can trade futures on a Saturday or not (maybe overseas), and I'm not even sure how all that works. But with current thinking, the daily record run up in oil prices ain't stopped yet. But if investors were giddy today, they're going to be going insane tomorrow unless a shift in the models and NHC edges back toward Alabama. The refineries and production could be hampered beyond belief with an LA or TX (first time I've said that word) offshore threat. I don't know where it's going, but I can promise you that investors will be even more skiddish tomorrow.

PS Send me a 5% cut.

Steve

If this forecast verifies, get ready for 3 dollar plus gas next week...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Edited by wxman007 (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:33 AM)

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
      #50435 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:32 AM

I am still not trusting the models. Don't think it will get that far west. Hugh's ideas are close to my thinking.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #50436 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

115 KNOTS is Cat 4...that is the NHC forecast....

thats fine but on there forcast map they have a red dot right at landfall and red dot is a 3...http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200512.html

Im going by what they posted.But this time last night people were calling for it to be a 4 already which at least right now its not near that.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #50437 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:34 AM

I'm all gassed up, sure wish I had a hybrid... this thing hits coastal LA as a 4 and 3.00 gas might be a bargain.... you'll think 2.50 would be like giving it away.... I sure hope this scenario does not come to fruition....

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: NewWatcher]
      #50438 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:35 AM

Just heard on TWC possible cat.3 overnight. Guess we will have to wait and see

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #50439 - Sat Aug 27 2005 02:35 AM

Quote:

If this forecast verifies, get ready for 3 dollar plus gas next week...

No kidding. Been telling everyone I know to fill up on the cheap gas this weekend. You can imagine the funny looks I am getting when i call it cheap.

--------------------
Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 266025

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center