F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
NHC calls Mayor of New Orleans [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #51158 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:27 AM

NHC called the Mayor of New Orleans and advised him if at all possible to issue a Mandatory evacuation for all residents of New Orleans.
This is the big storm that no one ever wanted to see hit New Orleans.

It's sometimes fun to track hurricanes. This one is not fun.

Please, everyone along the gulf coast, take proper preparations and stay safe.

God Speed to all in harms way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: NHC calls Mayor of New Orleans [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #51160 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:33 AM

URNT12 KNHC 280525
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 28/05:11:20Z
B. 25 deg 07 min N
086 deg 39 min W
C. 700 mb 2530 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 225 deg 122 kt
G. 140 deg 019 nm
H. EXTRAP 935 mb
I. 10 C/ 3053 m
J. 19 C/ 3047 m
K. 12 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. E12/38/32
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF300 1512A Katrina OB 16
MAX FL WIND 122 KT SE QUAD 05:05:30 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 700 MB
MAX FL TEMP 20C 310/9NM
LIGHTNING OBSERVED IN ONE OF THE OUTER BANDS, BUT NOT IN SE EYEWALL

ERC is over and now looks like we should have a cat 4 soon.....last few shots on sat had an eye!

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Aug 28 2005 05:36 AM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Buzzsaw [Re: Steve]
      #51161 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:35 AM

I just read Clarks blog and it gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Steve get out while you can. I'd hate to think that someone who posted here died in a hurricane that we all so carefully tracked. I also think that your family would miss you terribly. I think there is going to be tremendous loss of life with this storm...possibly 100s or 1000s. People just dont realize what is coming. This could truly be the NO "perfect storm". I dont know how many have left at this point but I dont think they will be able to get everyone out of NO...not at this late stage...got that sick feeling again

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Sportsfreak1989s

Reged:
Loc: Lafayette, Louisiana
Re: NOLA [Re: danielw]
      #51162 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:43 AM

In my opinion I think it MIGHT make one last wobble to the west then start it's "curve" that it is SUPPOSE to make. I honestly would hate for this thing to hit N.O. because the impact it would have on everyone living there and most likely everyone in the south if not the US. (to bad this thing just couldn't go "poof" and be gone)

I hope most people in N.O. do not ignore the issued warning that they have been given. I pray that everyone who is within 200 miles of this Monster (which is me) can come back home and still have a home to live in and none of their possessions are destroyed. Honestly we all know that somewhere in this storm's "humble" path there will most likely be some type of destruction, unfortunately. Hopefully the type of destruction that won't happen is the loss of life .

There was one nagging question I do have though, if you could answer for me.... Could Katrina still make landfall near Intracoastal City? I know there is a chance but actually, how big is this chance? There is that slight urge of being worried still in the back of my mind right now and I must know what everyone else thinks about this possibility. Whats ya'lls opinions on this?

Thanks to all, and all my prayers go out to everyone that might be affected by this "beautiful" Storm.

-Andy.

--------------------
Impossible Is Nothing

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Buzzsaw [Re: WeatherNut]
      #51163 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:43 AM

To quote Hank's saying. "What Clark said".

I can't think of the NHC Director calling me and telling me to evacuate my City. Steve, that call kind of filters down to you. Please get out. And that goes for anyone in the Warning area. Do what you have to tonight. So you can leave at first light.

I-10, I-59 and I-55 will be crowded to say the least. I think this was expected, as I saw Barricades in place along the Interstate on my way to work tonight. I'm 90 miles North of Gulfport and 150 North of New Orleans.
Do the math with 250,000 vehicles and see how far they stretch. At 25 ft per vehicle. That's 1184 miles of road. I'll let you finish the rest.

Like I said earlier, and a few times last year. If you are near an area under a HURRICANE WARNING. Do not wait for the order to become mandatory!

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: NOLA [Re: Sportsfreak1989s]
      #51164 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:44 AM

nhc is fixing to issure a spc. adv....Katrina is a CAT4 145mph....per TWC

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La
      #51165 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:44 AM

Just heard winds at now at 145 mph

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Buzzsaw [Re: KimmieL]
      #51166 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:46 AM

HURRICANE Katrina TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1240 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...SHORTLY AFTER 1215 AM CDT... 0515Z... AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT REPORTED THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS IN HURRICANE Katrina
HAD INCREASED TO NEAR 145 MPH... CATEGORY FOUR ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. DETAILS WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY IN A
SPECIAL ADVISORY TO BE ISSUED AT APPROXIMATELY 1 AM CDT...0600Z.
THE SPECIAL PUBLIC ADVISORY WILL TAKE THE PLACE OF THE INTERMEDIATE
PUBLIC ADVISORY PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED FOR THAT TIME.

FORECASTER KNABB

--------------------

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: NOLA [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #51167 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:47 AM

Indeed, the NHC just issued a special statement saying the winds are now to 145mph. The winds have finally caught up to the storm's pressure. This intensifies the danger to the coastline.

I don't put out phrases like this lightly, but I need to emphasize it right now:

IF YOU ARE IN SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA OR ALONG THE COAST IN S. MISSISSIPPI THIS EVENING AND ARE PLANNING ON STAYING OR DEBATING WHETHER OR NOT TO LEAVE, GET OUT NOW.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #51168 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:48 AM

Where do you live steve in LA? how close is it to the coast? Do you have alot of people that might loot your house in the neighboorhood or are you kinda isolated? Anyways if your close to the water then I would go. If not then I might stay cause even if my house is/not destroyed,,whatever is left might be looted...maybe take valuble info you need and $$$ info. Then you can stay at the Holiday Inn and ask if the Pool would be open? LOL I Would!!! Anyways I would love to fly up there but work says I cant. I probably should of went to Miami and stayed with a friend but again WORK!!!
Anyways be safe like all should along the gulf coast.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: NOLA [Re: Clark]
      #51169 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:50 AM

well are friends find a cat 4 and now are headed home.....

URNT11 KNHC 280547
97779 05434 10264 88109 30500 06058 10108 /3056
RMK AF300 1512A Katrina OB 17
LAST REPORT

next plane arrives in a few hrs.

--------------------

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: Buzzsaw [Re: scottsvb]
      #51170 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:50 AM

At this point you have to remember - stuff can be replaced, people can't.

Get out. Please.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: NOLA [Re: danielw]
      #51171 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:51 AM

Quote:

edit: I see that the MS Gulf Coast Counties are ...Voluntary evacuations of low lying areas and mobile homes. I think that will change drastically in the morning!

Actually, perhaps not, and I have made a couple posts about this the past day. You know I have a brother who works in Jackson Cty law enforcement. For some reason they don't even enforce mandatory evac and I am not sure of the reason. Time after time officials drag their feet as far as evac and if you hear from Kissy on the board tomorrow she will tell you the same thing, that they never received notice to evac until too late, etc, just as with Dennis. And by the time they are told to leave, no hotel rooms, no gasoline, roads starting to flood, etc.

I know there are many many people in the county there who will never evac, period; for one, another one of my brothers that I don't speak to very often but who told me bluntly so on the phone. Why? I have no clue.

There is a terrific online web site for all 3 MS coastal counties of Hancock, Harrison, and Jackson along with very detailed flood zone maps labeled by Cat number. There were many SLOSH studies done to create these maps. At some point along the line many smart people put in a lot of time to identify what they could to help evac.

Now why the mobilization part fails I don't know.

This is why whenever a storm heads to the N GOM I go on about these things and it just gives me fits.

Now NO knew about the required 72 hours minimum for evac, and you are right the models clustered there two days ago. I guess it is the mentality that unless it is just parked right outside Lake Ponchatrain they really don't believe it is there, I don't know. If it is true that NHC personnally made a call to the mayor of NO maybe it is because they were having fits too wondering when the sam hill everyone was going to evac.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, consider that since the severe damage swath is so small and the cone of error so wide, many people feel that the odds are against them getting the direct hit.

Do you know that when Dennis hit FL, that many people who evac from Jackson Cty returned to find their homes looted. The reason why was that because of the NO evac plan, all the Jackson Cty folks who were only told to evac the last minute had to drive even as far as TX or TN to find a hotel room. It took them awhile to get back and the curfew was lifted maybe a day or two early, and enough people were still gone that crooks had a field day looting unoccupied homes. I know that because my brother told me just how many robberies he had to take care of the next couple days after Dennis (it was under 100, but way up in the double digits). So nobody wants to leave their home knowing that it could be looted before they could come back.

People would evac more readily if there was a safe place a couple of hours away, where they could get home fairly quickly afterwards, after the roads had been cleared.

Now people can't even be sure if they get a little ways out of the county on these back roads, spending hours stuck in traffic jams (it took on average six hours to leave Jackson Cty for Ivan to get just as far as places like Hattiesburg or Jackson), because there are no freeways, that they'll be able to get gas and keep on going. Chances are they could be stuck in their car out in the open, not too far away, where there is danger from winds once the storm has struck.

Finally, a lot of these people don't have a lot of money. Evacuating costs them a lot: food, gas (more, because of the slow traffic), hotel.

The population is so large that it seems there is no reasonable solution to this evac issue.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: NOLA [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #51172 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:51 AM

Since its a Cat 4 now, does the NHC up the intensity forecast?

I was telling my family all evening, that once this eyewall replacement cycle is over, and the winds catch up to the pressure, this thing is going to become a monster.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Oh NO!! [Re: scottsvb]
      #51173 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:53 AM

25.2N 086.5W 137 kts at flight level...158mph x 0.91equals surface speed of 143.4mph.
Rounds to 145mph!!!

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Oh NO!! [Re: danielw]
      #51174 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:57 AM

Steve.. and others.... In light of the:
1) new windspeed update... 145...
2) tight model clusterings
3) panic that's going to result when people catch up in the AM
4) well-defined storm on sat
5) recommendations of everyone....

I'm thinking I am leaving in the next hour... not tomorrrow.... I still see this coming east of us... but, even a little east will still be bad.... and what if it doesn't turn.... shreveport, here I come....

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Oh NO!! [Re: Terra]
      #51175 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:59 AM

I think that might be a good idea...if you have the energy to leave now...DO! There is going to be panic at first light no doubt about it

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La
      #51176 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:02 AM

Terra, Godspeed, be careful out there.

Kimmie

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #51177 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:03 AM

People and the anchor on 870am are suggesting routes for people to use to get out of the area, whether New Orleans or further west/east, and really providing a good service to those who need it. This is the time to get out -- do not wait for first light, take advantage of the time now to get out of town. A mandatory evacuation may be issued for the entire city of New Orleans at first light, the first in that city's history. Please, take what you can and head out as soon as possible.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: MikeC]
      #51179 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:07 AM

is there any way that this storm can turn back east?

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65395

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center