F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2002-2009 >> 2006 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
jrkelly

Reged: Sat
Recurvature Model Bias
      #51022 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:06 PM

I believe Katrina will come inland east of current projections of SE LA. I have noticed previous storm projections on storms that are in the beginning of the recurvature process tend to have a left bias. This may be partially due to persistance, and partially due to missing the exact moment the storm beginning their turn poleward. The storms are big ships and take a while to turn, but once they turn, they do so more than expected.

I believe model runs after 00Z will begin to shift right. I also believe the storm will predominately spend it time to the right of the current forecast path. Ultimately landfalling between MS/AL border and Pensacola(again).

As for intensity, I believe there will be a rapid intensification period in the next 12 to 24 hours. There is a small window when the approaching troph creates an ideal environment as outflow is enhanced and shear is minimal. Then as quickly as these conditions appear, the troph gets too close, impenges on the outflow, and returns strong shear. This also is a recurvature event that is misunderstood. This is often blamed on eyewall replacement cycles, however many storms undergo these cycles and maintain a constant (but fluctuating level). These storms actually weaken from external, noy internal forces. Classic example of this would be Opal. However, we need not look any further back than Dennis, and to some extent, Ivan.

Katrina may reach as high as a weak Cat 5 and scare some people to death, and then back off before landfall a Cat or two. Still a strong and dealy beast, but there will be a bit of a let down for the media.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Recurvature Model Bias [Re: jrkelly]
      #51066 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:59 PM

Until the models differ a bit (if they do) it's hard to go against them. And, yet she went against them with her sudden track to the SW over Miami. And, the biggest difference was not the track but the timing. Worried the timing is off again for a few reasons.. staring at water vapor and she can be deceptive. Watching.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
      #51069 - Sat Aug 27 2005 11:06 PM

Your observations are correct and there has been a left bias in the models as there were last year too. It is important that everybody understand despite what a series of satellite images show, the NHC does not radically jump from previous reasoning unless forced to do so, such was the case yesterday when a radical revision was made to the forecast track of a land fall near Panama City to near Houma, LA. The public reads these discussions just like we do and NHC knows that, thus continuity prevails unless reasoning and data points them in another direction opting for subtle adjustments whenever possible. The storm has begun it's turn to the right, and like you said, what isn't known whether it will bend all the way around and take a NE heading prior to landfall and if that shortwave is as strong as they say it is, it can't be ruled out.

New Orleans is vulnerable to a storm approaching from this angle and any deviation to the east exaberates the situation considerably. Strong east and southeast winds will pull water into Lake Ponchatrain and as the center goes by, winds come around and push it into the city over the sea wall and there is a scenario that could flood the entire city given on track trajectory.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

gregoryb
Unregistered

#51074 - Sat Aug 27 2005 11:19 PM

i agree with all of this. it seems that the storm has more english on it than the track allows.

reasonmclucus
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Kansas
Re: Recurvature Model Bias [Re: gregoryb]
      #51564 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:04 PM

since there she will have to hit land sometime and significant weakening doesn't seem likely given the high water temp and the fact it began warming along the coast, I hope you're right. I'm not sure NO could survive a direct hit by a storm that essentially is already off the scale. I don't just mean damage in NO, I mean there could be a question of whether it could be rebuilt or would have to be relocated.

--------------------
Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and hurricanes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4153

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center