F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! [Re: pcola]
      #51363 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks Ron..though I am on the Gulf Breze Peninsule..I am on the highest ground here..if you call 27ft high....I think I will put the tracks and models away, and just follow the visible and IR images...but I wanted to hear Dr Lyons reasoning for the NNE turn near landfall, and would that be landfall at the mouth of the Mississippi or farther north..I have see 2 storms hit the Boothville area of LA but by going noth they re-emerge over water in the Mississippi sound for several more hours... I wish he had made that a little clearer

Look at what Ivan did. That's what he's talking about, I believe. High ground in Gulf Breeze is an oxymoron. You'd be wise to find higher ground. What kind of damage did Ivan do to you?

The models are out the window at this point. Katrina will do what she wants to do, and we will be able to watch it on IR/WV/VIS loops from here on in until power goes out in the areas effected (whereever those will be).

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
susieq
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Panhandle
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! [Re: pcola]
      #51364 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:10 PM

It looks like, ever so slightly, the dry air is affecting the intensity a bit, at least according to the water vapor loop. Any decrease can only be a help. http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! [Re: twizted sizter]
      #51367 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Still no madatory evacs in NO or Biloxi according to TWC..Superdome for special needs/nowhere to go cases...going to be devestating wherever she goes but especially if NO...good to see people deciding on their own to go though...as someone who foolishly stayed for Andrew I can honestly say leaving is the best thing to do.

Will the Superdome survive? What is the elevation at the Superdome? I don't mean to panic people but I personally would not want to be that close to the water.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! [Re: Hugh]
      #51369 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:18 PM

The 06Z GFDL model has shifted ever so slightly to the east with a landfall at Biloxi. There is a glimmer of good news according to this model - it is weakening the storm from 147 kts down to 117 kts as it approaches landfall. I don't know what factors are influencing this projected weakening, perhaps some shear as the projected path curves N-NE from the mouth of the Miss River. P'Cola, this model projects CAT 2 force winds at your location.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfdltc2.c...;hour=Animation

--------------------
RJB

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #51370 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:19 PM

2 models is not enough to start inching east. 2 models in every storm go east or west.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #51371 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:20 PM

Well what a nice picture to wake up to.I guess we board today.I was ready to ride a 100-115 mph winds done it before in this house. A possible 140-160 I don't think so I see where the models are picking the MS GC again a dreaded NE turn.All I could say is S&%#.The same thing happened in Georges N.O.,N.O. etc.I have not seen a single post by Frank P here or at S2K.I will go by and see him and compare notes in a couple of hrs.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #51372 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:21 PM

The Superdome is 18 feet above sea level and was engineered to handle winds near 200 mph. I'd hate to think that it might get tested.

Evacuation of last resort indeed...

All of our SE LA readers have left already, right? I remember Terra doing a very smart thing and leaving early this AM, but I seem to remember Steve(?) considering staying. I hope he reconsidered. I'm an extraordinarily brave person (read also a touch foolish) and if I were within 100 miles of Ms. Katrina's anticipated landfall, I'd have been boarded and gone early this morning. There's nothing suggesting abatement of this truly massive storm.

What good is the "thrill of a lifetime" if it is what defines your lifespan?

Stay safe people.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! [Re: jr928]
      #51373 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:22 PM

Remember Dennis,Ivan and Cindy all went NE at landfallby about 50-75 miles.

TDW
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, AL
      #51374 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:22 PM

I'm on my way to Church before I board up for the storm. I don't imagine that there will be many students in my Sunday School class, though.

It may be appropriate that we are to discuss Job today. A lot of bad things can happen to good people. Let's hope everyone stays safe.

--------------------
"It's time to see the world
It's time to kiss a girl
It's time to cross the wild meridian"

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
SHIPS model [Re: javlin]
      #51375 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:23 PM

173mph by 8PM
174mph by 8AM Monday.
link

I wonder what the other intensity models are showing?

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! [Re: javlin]
      #51377 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

Remember Dennis,Ivan and Cindy all went NE at landfallby about 50-75 miles.

I remember, I remember.... unfortunately. Lyons appears to be one of the few experts talking about this possibility. For the people of N.O. this would be a blessing but for the people in AL/FL it would be a death sentence for those who have not prepared because they were told the storm was hitting N.O. EVERYONE - EVERY SINGLE PERSON near the coast from western LA to Apalachicola should be prepared.

--------------------
Hugh

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: SHIPS model [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #51379 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:27 PM

Quote:

173mph by 8PM
174mph by 8AM Monday.
link

Uh...wow.

The landfall is expected to be sometime Monday morning, and the ships model (according to your link) is showing Category 5 winds continuing through 8pm Monday, 12 hours or so after landfall. Unreal!

Just a note: Ships is bad at predicting winds after landfall, so take that estimate with a grain of salt.

Edited by Random Chaos (Sun Aug 28 2005 01:28 PM)

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: SHIPS model *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Random Chaos]
      #51380 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:28 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: SHIPS model [Re: Random Chaos]
      #51381 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:30 PM

I think the panic for a large east turn should be over. every met in fla won't be wrong. direct hit and 75 either side is not pensacola. Let's stay the course with NHC and follow the current path not the oh what if path.

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Angelo, TX
No Evacuations?!?!? [Re: Hugh]
      #51382 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:30 PM

That is really odd. I think that somebody is making a bad call in not ordering evacuations for NO. Here we are looking at one of the most dangerous weather features of our time and nobody is ordering evacuations. I know the path is uncertain, but still... I was looking at photos of Camille and from the looks of it, it doesn't look like much of anything within 2 miles of the coast will survive. My thoughts and prayers are with everybody that is in the path of the storm. As for now it looks like the Tampa Bay area has dodged yet another bullet.

Be safe

--------------------
Matt

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: SHIPS model [Re: bn765]
      #51383 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:31 PM

They just posted a 9:14 am vortex message over at NHC (the 8am one was an Air Force plane, so it never showed up):
(my notes in italic)

URNT12 KNHC 281314
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 28/12:57:40Z
B. 25 deg 50 min N
087 deg 55 min W
C. 700 mb 2308 m
D. 80 kt
E. 132 deg 073 nm
F. 203 deg 145 kt
G. 118 deg 018 nm
H. 908 mb
I. 10 C/ 3056 m
J. 26 C/ 3056 m
K. 6 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C22 [that's circular 22NM radius]
N. 12345/ 7
O. 1 / 1 nm
P. AF302 1712A Katrina OB 16
MAX FL WIND 153 KT NE QUAD 10:58:50 Z

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: SHIPS model [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #51384 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

173mph by 8PM
174mph by 8AM Monday.
link

Intensity models are notoriously inaccurate. It could potentially hit 180-190+, too. I suspect it will not stay cat 5 for 48+ hours though... at least I hope, but Louisiana isn't exactly the Rocky Mountains. Look at what the Everglades did to Katrina - pretty much made her mad and out to seek revenge.

--------------------
Hugh

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: SHIPS model [Re: Hugh]
      #51385 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:34 PM

good point,

winds could last well across ponchatrain into so ms as you point out the Rockies aren't quite evident down here

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Hugh]
      #51386 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:36 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: SHIPS model [Re: Random Chaos]
      #51389 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:38 PM

From CNN online: one paragraph about the Cat 5 intensity, followed with this second paragraph:

"The storm is expected to make landfall Monday morning in southeastern Louisiana or southwest Mississippi."

Do you think NHC may have let LA and MS know that the track may be shifted to the right a bit?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 59162

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center