F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
BobVee
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: Sportsfreak1989s]
      #51528 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:19 PM

You are within the cone. You should be leaving if you live in a structure that is susceptible to high winds. Even if the storm center passes well east you will undoubtedly have hurricane force winds. If you have trees around you those will probably fall onto your house. I cannot comment on water issues, not knowing your elevations but can certainly say with some certainty to expect flooding and rain penetration through windows, eaves, doors, etc. Wind borne debris is a major, major problem.

My advise. Go! It is not worth your or your family's lives. God bless.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Gas Prices due to Katrina [Re: MrSpock]
      #51529 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:22 PM

TWC just said that the Superdome in New Orleans would be used as a shelter - i am assuming it can wtihstand pretty high winds. They also interviewed several people in that area and you know what? They can't leave!!! They have no car and or no money; some where around 100,000 people without transportation and or money. Thats terrible! NO was going to have pick up points in the city and give those folks rides to the Superdome. Thats nice of them.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Wind Directions [Re: Marianne]
      #51530 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:23 PM

I was just watching MSNBC (Or Fox - can't recall). They said they are expecting the worst case scenario now. Yes - EXPECTING. They said if the eye goes just east of NO, then Lake Poncitrain (spelling?) will experience the northerly winds of the western side of the eywall and dump right into the city. The pumps run ondiesel or electric and then expect to run out of diesel. The water will not naturally drain and it will be days and weeks before water is pumped out.

Again, Live streaming video out of NO:
http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_wwltv&props=livenoad

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Gas Prices due to Katrina [Re: damejune2]
      #51531 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:27 PM

pressure has not changed at all, and the center is displaced a bit from the flight center, and the eye has expanded just a bit with warming cloud tops in the last few hours--the storm has likely leveled off and will hopefully begin a weakening trend within 6-12 hours

as for landfall i am expecting Marsh Island, which is between New Orleans and Cameron--the eye has been wobbling; it is currently moving NW and is SSE of New Orleans, and the center, if anything, has wobbled to the west a bit in the last hour

bucagator

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: BobVee]
      #51532 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:31 PM

Good luck to everyone on the Northern Gulf Coast. After surviving direct hits from Charley, Frances, and Jeanne last year I wouldn't wish this on anyone. If you are still undecided about evacuation, consider this tidbit from a Fox News viewer. It seems he went through Betsy, Camille, and Audrey while stationed in New Orleans as a weatherman and later in the military. His most vivid memory was the number of bodies that survived the storm (didn't drown, get crushed, electrocuted, etc.) only to have to share isolated spots of dry ground with snakes. He said the snakes always won! You are in our prayers.

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lafayette, La
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: BobVee]
      #51533 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:31 PM

Actually, Lafayette, La is not within the cone. We are just to the left a bit.
I am also in Lafayette. IF it continues on the path that experts predict, we will more than likely experience rain and some tropical storm winds. If you life in an area that is prone to flooding, you might want to prepare for that. Power outages will be likely, at least in my area, off Verot School Road. Every time we get a minor thunderstorm, we seem to lose it.

You might want to remove light items that are outdoors that could blow around and you would want to make sure you have some bottled water in case of power outages. I don't see a need for evactuaing unless you live in a mobile home, however.

--------------------
Lived through Betsy ('65), Camile ('69), Edith ('71), Carmen ('74), Danny ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05), Gustav ('08)....Who's next?

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: Sportsfreak1989s]
      #51534 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:32 PM

SportsFreak, you should be ok if it stays on the projected path, some wind and rain. If it continues further west than expected, you might get a little more bad weather. Just stay tuned to your local tv and radio station, they will tell you what to do and what to expect. God bless, Kimmie

susieq
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Panhandle
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: KimmieL]
      #51535 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:39 PM

The 1:00 advisory is out. Slight drop in pressure.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200512_5day.html

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Wind Directions [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #51536 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:40 PM

Son at FIT in Melbourne near Ed . I live in Arkansas, west of the Rock. After the third one last year I was amazed at the out of state plates that stayed here for weeks and weeks. I don't have much money, but if someone needs a safe dry place for a week or two while things settle down I have a spare bedroom to offer.

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Wind Directions [Re: collegemom]
      #51537 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:44 PM

Jason Kelly, a met blogger here, and met at WGHG in Panama City Beach is assisting in a Mississippi coastline station wTOK Here

Video may be having problems, though.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: susieq]
      #51539 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:51 PM

That pressure is 3 milibars below Camille, so if it is that strong at landfall it will be second only to the Labor Day storm in the 30's correct?
camille bottomed out at 905.. same as mitch back in 1998. a single millibar doesn't make a huge difference. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sun Aug 28 2005 06:45 PM)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Gas Prices due to Katrina [Re: damejune2]
      #51540 - Sun Aug 28 2005 05:57 PM

Anyone who has been to New Olreans knows that it has a lot of poor residents. Any proper planning for a mandatory evacuation would have to involve planning for moving those people out of town: busses and so on. If they are not doing that, it is inexcusable IMHO. As for the Superdome, while I am not a structural engineer. I have seen this structure many times and would not want to shelter from a cat 5 storm in it myself. Its only advantage I can see is that it is large. other wise, it is just as subject to flooding as any other structure in the downtown NO area and I personally really wonder about that dome in this kind of storm.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
question on Superdome.. please explain [Re: MikeC]
      #51541 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:00 PM

I've heard this before and seen it used as the last chance place to go but don't understand how it works.

Wouldn't the Superdome fill up with water? Wouldn't the water inside (if it does happen) put a lot of stress on it structurally? The city has obviously done models and checked this out but confirm to me that if the city does flood.. the field and parts of the Superdome would flood as well?

Imagine others around the country are trying to figure this out as well and wondering .. so I am asking.

Also.. amazed that people are being told to go east to get out of town because west I-10 is a mess as are roads going north. This has to be the first time I have heard people being told to get out and go towards an area under Hurricane Warning. Imagine it shows the total desperation to get people out of New Orleans.. even into the frying pan out of the Bowl.

Thanks for explaining how this plan was devised to use SuperDome.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Magic Hat
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lucedale, MS
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: susieq]
      #51542 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:02 PM

okay! Windows on south and east sides are covered. Porch is mostly cleaned off. still need to move the campers to the north side of the house. Have plenty of food and water. This house survived a direct hit from Camille before it was moved east 32 miles and I rebuilt it. Wood frame with 1x12 wood interior walls on reinforced cement pilings. Expect to lose the porch on the west side and maybe on the north. Hope we don't lose the addition on the east side. Hubby is bobtailing the big rig home. Guess we'll set it in the middle of the pasture. At least no chance of flooding on this hill. Daughter just got her first new car. Man, the timing!!
We're about 35 miles north of Pascagoula and 4 miles west of the MS/AL line. Will let all know what happens soon as we can.
Praying all will survive. Property can be rebuilt. People can't!
God bless,
Lula

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gas Prices due to Katrina [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #51543 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:02 PM

They had a guy on CNN from the City of New Orleans. He said that he doesnt have any clue on weather the Superdome can handle this type storm, but I remember reading somewhere that it was built to handle 200 MPH winds.

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: MikeC]
      #51544 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:09 PM

TWC just mentioned that the central pressure of Andrew as it came ashore was 922 MB and compared to Katrina's current 906. Wow!

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #51545 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:11 PM

Does anyone have the 14:00 EDT discussion yet?

They do not post intermediate discussions unless something drastic changes. There is only a 2p public advisory this go around, available now on the NHC's website and at left, with no large change to the intensity or track. --Clark

Edited by Clark (Sun Aug 28 2005 06:17 PM)

Miami Beach, FLA USA
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Miami Beach, FLA
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #51546 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:12 PM

This storm is going to make Andrew look like a joke...it's like 3 times the size of Andrew and 20 mph stronger sustained winds....if you are within 100 miles of eye landfall, you should be evacuating....I survived Andrew and I would strongly suggest getting out of this storm's path...you will regret staying behind. It is 13 years later and I still do.

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gas Prices due to Katrina [Re: nate77]
      #51547 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:17 PM

Here's a discussion: http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl092304thanh.1295648.html . Since they don't appear to be sure and since they aren't even sure about 130 MPH winds, this could be tragic.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
super dome [Re: nate77]
      #51548 - Sun Aug 28 2005 06:24 PM

This is a great artical on the Super Dome and the question,can it withstand a hurricane.A must read now. http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl092304thanh.1295648.html

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39366

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center