F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: FEMA Preparing [Re: age234]
      #51897 - Mon Aug 29 2005 04:56 AM

Quote:

Those numbers on FEMA's expectations, I have heard similar ones several times today on FNC, and that the 'Dome is expected to flood.

They're talking massive refugee camps in northern LA, west TX, and surrounding areas, where people may have to live for weeks or even months. The FEMA rep they were interviewing said there are FEMA camps (of sorts) in FL where people are still living from hurricanes some time ago (maybe years, not 100% on that).

And Accuweather is saying on the record that 50-75% of NO will be flooded.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I can confirm that FEMA "camps" still exist in Florida. Many people have been unable to recover money from insurance companies, or cannot afford to rebuild. FEMA kept threatening to shut down the "camps" but didn't know what to do with the thousands of families still living in them.

They are very small white mobile homes, squeezed in tightly together in barren areas that were once cow pastures. Not a pretty sight or a nice place to be.

I'm not sure how many of them there are, but I do know there is still a very large camp near Port Charlotte. These people were Charley survivors from August 13, 2004.

-Bev

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
heynow
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Abbeville, LA
Re: FEMA Preparing [Re: evergladesangler]
      #51898 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:00 AM

Here in South Louisiana we have been begging for help. We have been pleading for years to finish I49 into New Orleans, thus giving a much needed additional evac route. The real problem is that there is only one major road in and out of NO. The other thing we have been begging for is the restoration of our wetlands, which act as a buffer.

Of course, the immense poverty and the fact that the city has the fundamental flaw of being below sea level considerably contributes to the dire predictions, but we have been proactively seeking some remedies. Unfortunately, our requests have fallen on deaf ears.

I really don't think the rest of the country understands how vital New Orleans is to our nation. Unfortunately, we are about to find out how vital the city is.

--------------------
I've lived through Danny ('85), Juan ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05) and Gustav ('08).

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: FEMA Preparing [Re: MikeC]
      #51899 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:02 AM

I think at this point the only thing we can do is pray for a miracle. May God protect those in harms way and know that we are all praying and thinking of all of you in the path of this storm.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Downtown Beaufort Marina, SC
Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: nate77]
      #51900 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:10 AM

All,

Someone mentioned "fetid" water inside the dome? I'll go one further and raise the reality of floodwaters from the east bearing toxic waste from the Industrial Canal area, and from the west, floodwaters might be flowing through the Norco Industrial Complex (with refineries and chemical plants)...and all of these facilities will likely suffer catastrophic failure.

Looks like on top of the straight "damage" the Crescent City will have to deal with, there may likely be severe air and water pollution as well from all the chemicals being blown out.

It's been a few years since I was down there, but I spent a lot of time in 1989-1991 (I was in School in Pensacola, girlfriend was in Law School in NO) and I seem to remember that the gas stations all had above-ground tanks? I can just imaging those being knocked down and blown open...potential fire danger with fuel floating on top of flood waters...

I think this may get as nasty as some of the FEMA people have mentioned off-hand.

Katrina is bad enough on her own, but the area around N'ahlins is pretty toxic if not contained properly.

Oy.
/Anton in Charleston

--------------------
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
-Albert Einstein

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: Anton Ross]
      #51901 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:16 AM

From experience in cleaning such tanks in my younger years, ill say that the valve side of those tanks are the heaviest. They will flip and spill if the water gets high enough. I experienced the same with fuel oil tanks in Shady Side Maryland after Hurricane Isabel. Completely coated everything in fuel oil. Houses where tworn down due to fire hazard after being soaked for a week in water with a 3 inch layer of fuel oil on top.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: Anton Ross]
      #51902 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:17 AM

I agree Anton, people have no idea what is in store for us. I have my own hypothesis of what the results of Katrina will be. Simply put, people need to read the studies that abound online about a storm such as this and steel themselves.

I have read about this particular disaster for years, but one thing that I did not realize until earlier that their is a nuclear plant in the N.O. area.

Nuke Plant Info

Brace yourself folks. This is going to be nasty.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Wind Fields [Re: Colleen A.]
      #51903 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:19 AM

This is an image of the near real-time wind field of Major Hurricane Katrina. Courtesy of the crews and staff at the Hurricane Research Division. Who, by the way, have been providing a lot of the data and updates this afternoon and evening. Along with the regular updates from the AFRES Hurricane Hunters.

This is only an example of the wind fields as they were sampled at that time and Does Not reflect prsent or Future wind fields.

However...since there is a Strong Probablility that Major Hurricane Katrina will be at the current wind profile as she makes landfall.
This should serve as a rough guide, Only!

http://cat5.nhc.noaa.gov/Hwind/AnalysisOutput.html

Edited by MikeC (Mon Aug 29 2005 05:21 AM)

ohioaninmiss
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #51904 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:19 AM

I just saw a report on MSNBC that they shut down and evacuated the nuclear power plant...

--------------------
Marie

Back in Ohio from a crazy summer in Mississippi!

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: ohioaninmiss]
      #51906 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:25 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the structural integrity of the nuclear plants.

There are two things that alleviate the flow of radioactivity: very thick concrete and lead. These things are extraordinarily thick concrete construction, and in relatively areodynamic shapes. Due to the cooling needs of the reactors, they will also have wonderful water tight door systems. Not to mention, plenty of controlled pressure environments - in short, they're Fort Knox.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: tpratch]
      #51907 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:27 AM

No, I'm not worried about the structural integrity of the nuke plants either, they'll likely be fine. However it certainly adds another interesting wrinkle to the story.

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: BROWARD
Re: Toxicity and Environmental dangers [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #51908 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:28 AM

Waterford is for a beautiful table. Not supposed to be a vehicle of possible death and destruction. It seems to look worse and worse as more info. comes out on the storm and the region.

I'm with Anton on this. Oy Vay...
I pray for all and my friends just to the east of Easy.

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
      #51909 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:29 AM

URNT12 KNHC 290525
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 29/04:49:20Z
B. 27 deg 53 min N
089 deg 31 min W
C. 700 mb 2314 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg 000 nm
F. 283 deg 116 kt
G. 195 deg 014 nm
H. 910 mb
I. 14 C/ 3018 m
J. 21 C/ 3007 m
K. 15 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C28
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF305 2012A Katrina OB 11
MAX FL WIND 134 KT SE QUAD 0249Z

Latest recon.... closed wall.... hmm.... pressure seems up

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
      #51910 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:29 AM

80-90mph wind in Grand Isle at this time. Red you are correct. The scope of this event is off the charts. Everyone in the country was glued to the television on 9-11-2001. Tomorrow will be the same. I fear that the loss of life will be much greater. It makes me think about the 70's . Along the Mississippi in the 70's companys used to spray oil waste on the dirt roads to keep the dust down during dry summers. Doing a simple Google search will expose alot of info that people do not know about. There are towns that where evacuated and fenced off due to chemical contamination alone. These are now ghost towns. Still fenced off by the Corp of Eng. Search : Mississipi River ghost towns . Ill call my father who is a GA for the National Flood Insurance Program for the names of towns and post in a few minutes.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: Disaster Master]
      #51911 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:35 AM

just a heads up... right now as of 12:35cdt... two very tornadic cells offshore of MS, moving wnw...very quickly....

one 18-20 miles southeast of gulfport...headed towards that area....

other farther off.....

will try to post pix soon

update: moving towards gulfport MS pix time 12:31:10am cdt
radar winds mobile

web link to radar

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/lix.shtml

click on Storm Relative (winds) and look for areas where the green and red are tight together... like a ball...
expect if not already warning for that area ..... (tornado)

Edited by Storm Hunter (Mon Aug 29 2005 05:41 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Tornadoes [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #51912 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:39 AM

If you loop that Velocity Product...it looks as if one pass over Ship and Cat Island toward Slidell Radar. And the last frame is showing two smaller cells off shore moving toward East New Orleans or Orleans Parish.

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Tornadoes [Re: danielw]
      #51913 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:44 AM

watch the streetcar cam at www.nola.com

http://www.nola.com/bourbocam/

its going nuts, alot of lights fkashing.. Trees blowing over.

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Downtown Beaufort Marina, SC
Re: Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers [Re: Disaster Master]
      #51914 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:50 AM

TWC just now started a story about the flooding dangers...but only "briefly" touched on the issues of toxic wastes and other chemical factors.

But man...everything that the storm surge pushes "in" to the downtown are is going to be stuck there. For a while. Levees will keep just as much in as out. I know jokes have been made about snakes and bugs and excrement floationg around...but man, with all of the sanitation plants under water and the petro-chemicals floating around...this may turn into the biggest toxic waste dump in the country. Perhaps the world?

It is only now really hitting me that the physical damage is probably going to be eclipsed by the environmental damage.

And anyone who knows NO will understand that once the emergency crews do come in, navigating will be almost impossible without really good GPS gear. Street signs gone...water two-three stories high...this is certainly going to challenge the crews.

Man...sort of unthinkable...all of this.
/Oy and Vey.

--------------------
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
-Albert Einstein

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Tornadoes [Re: danielw]
      #51915 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:50 AM

I can see it now that you mention those barrier islands.

Just got back home and ready for the waiting game.

It's strange to see everything flying across the radar so fast when I'm used to watching the derechos that approach the Twin Cities area.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tornadoes [Re: nate77]
      #51916 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:51 AM

update to cells... should come ashore west of gulf port...more towards bay saint louis or maybe farther west...they are moving more west than north...they appear to be weakening now...would est. in the next 15-25mins ashore or near shore.... of course this are will be busy will cells like this for the next 8-14hrs.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Mon Aug 29 2005 05:54 AM)

royener
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Clearwater, FL
Re: Wind Fields [Re: danielw]
      #51917 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:57 AM

The wind speeds and direction from station BURL 1 - South west pass, LA at midnight were showing wind speed of 73 kts with gusts up to83 kts and the pressure tendency to be falling rapidly

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=burl1

station 42383 Mars MC 807 further south seems to have been evacuated or shut down it is a Shell platform

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42363

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 69212

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center