F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Re: Radar [Re: ralphfl]
      #52122 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:59 AM

Could be your browser. I wasn't able to get it using Netscape, but able to with Explorer.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: apopka
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: ralphfl]
      #52123 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:02 PM

I'm using Tallahassee's radar.
http://intellicast.com/Local/USLocalWide...mp;prodnav=none

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Radar [Re: OcalaKT]
      #52124 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:04 PM

From mobile bay:

mobile cam is recording, but because of site issues I can't put it up right now. You can try using http://flhurricane.com/imageanimator.php?3 but it may not work properly

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Re: Radar [Re: MikeC]
      #52125 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:10 PM

Is that I-10? Surely that has not breached the bayway. That would be a very, very high surge.

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: Radar [Re: MikeC]
      #52126 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:12 PM

That is the Mobile Bayway Bridge. It is amazing to see it underwater water. Unbelievable.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: Radar [Re: jth]
      #52127 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:13 PM

Anyone listening to any of these phone calls on Fox? 8 ft of water in neighborhood south of Lake P...native NO reporter...hopping rooftops to look at things...crazy...people on roofs...water up to windows...have video but no way to get it in.

RedingtonBeachGuy

Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Superdome Photo [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52128 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:19 PM

You can see some of the damage to the Superdome from this photo:

Edited by MikeC (Mon Aug 29 2005 12:25 PM)

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Radar [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52129 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:24 PM

I'm back from my 45 minute cat nap. Wow i feel much better.
Flooding is confirmed visually in N.O. I feel that it was impossible to tour the leeve system as said in a prior post during the storm. There is wide spread flooding in N.O. in 50% of the town. Some areas water is up to the gutters on single story dwellings. 16-18" of water in downtown Mobile as well. Confirmed 25-30 ft surge in Gulfport /Biloixi area. <<read Producer notes in abouve post.
Water 6" deep on second floor of building. God Bless anyone being effected by the flooding. I fear the fatality #'s will start rolling in some time this afternoon. I will update as i hear things, or until my superiors tell me to quit posting info. Next FEMA conference call is at 1pm est. Will update after that call.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: abyrd]
      #52130 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:25 PM

I just heard from my brother in Pascagoula. My hands are shaking so I don't know if I can write this.

The situation is very bad there and very bad along the entire coast.

He risked his life to go out to his patrol car to call me on the cell phone. While he was there the back window blew out. He turned the car around. We were only able to talk for a few minutes.

I tried to get as many details as I could from him and I'm trying to remember them all and type them in before I forget them.

He is at the sub station at St. Martin Jackson Cty right by I-10. The sub station is surrounded by water right now. The surge came quickly and water rose more than 10 feet in one hour.

He says it is rising there and they are going to try to get to another building. I asked him not to get trapped in the building by the water but to try for the roof and he said that wasn't possible, they are still getting sustained winds 100+mph and have been for some hours. He knows from the wind direction that the eye is over land becuse he said it went slowly around the compass and is from the SE right now.

OK they have an armored track vehicle. They have been going out for rescues like I had said. But they couldn't get to everyone; some people drowned in their home. They rescued 23 civilians and there are also 20 cops hunkered down at the sub station right now. Then the surge came very quickly and they barely got the ATV back to the sub station. He said cars were floating everywhere. He said that the wind has smashed the glass on all the cars. That you could not survive if you were out in the water right now, because of the high winds and everything blowing and smashing things.

This is the worst thing I have to tell you. about 500 people were in the St. Martin school and it collapsed. They couldn't get to them. Shelters everywhere in the Jackson Co area, problems. Everyone in Pascaoula that was in the court house, that is the emergency center, are up on the third floor now. He says everything south of Hwy 90 (basically 90% of Pascagoula) under 10 ft water. He knows this because his wife works for the dept as well and is there at what was the emergency management center.

They are going to try to load the people some at a time now into the ATV and try for this other building. I don't have high hopes for that. They are on a tiny strip of land that is just about the only land in the county that would not be under water now. It is the strip that they build I-10 along and is I think about a mile long.

The only thing I can hope for is that the big part of the surge is over and that the water will only rise incrementally.

He had to go. Things were hitting his car and I was afraid he would be hurt trying to call me.

I don't know if he is going to get through this. But he is ok. He really loves his job at the sheriff's dept and he is totally happy helping people so he will be ok even if they don't get through this. I did not hear any panic in his voice, only awe. My mind froze and I couldn't think of things to ask him.

I hope I remembered everything he said.

Please disaster master can you get hold of someone at MEMA and let them know everything I've told you.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Radar [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52131 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:25 PM

FNC has first live pictures of flooding. Tune in to see

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Margie]
      #52132 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:28 PM

Copied and pasted info. Sent via email

Humanriff
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Davenport, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52133 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:33 PM

Can someone explain exactly what the Mobile Cam is showing? What are the structures in front, for instance? Thanks

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Streaming Vid... [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52134 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:34 PM

We are streaming WTOK-TV in Meridian, MS on WJHG.com, look in the upper right hand corner and click on the Hurricane Katrina link...I am here and on the air off and on...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Re: FNC [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52135 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

FNC has first live pictures of flooding. Tune in to see

Do you have a link?

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: TDW]
      #52137 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:44 PM

Dialup? OMG Katrina has blown us back to the stoneage!

Brings up a point i've been meaning to ask...how did cuba make out with the rain etc? I know that the us's southern neighbours are seen as non friendly but with their infrastructure, they must have really paid the price on the first view of Katrina we saw while it sat on the keys...

Quote:

I've only got about 3 hours of battery time let. I had forgotten how painfully slow dialup was.

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: Psyber]
      #52138 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:49 PM

Hi Guys,

Today is my first day of communciation with the outside world after Katrina surprised us here in Far southern dade county, Florida. Now i see she is barreling down on the Gulf Coast. My prayers are with the people in N.O. We spent 4 days without electricity and trapped by the floods, but i guess you guys have discussed all of this already.

Good to be back, and good luck to all in Louisiana and Mississippi.

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52139 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:53 PM

I just realized he wouldn't have called me if he didn't know things were pretty bad. I just realized that they would never evac the sub station unless the water was still rising and they would drown in the building if they stayed there. But that means there is no other place that is not under water. He said they couldn't survive outside in the wind. I believe it because of the force of things that were flying through the air and hitting their car.

Oh I just realized something else he told me. My mind is only working in sections or something.

He said they are going to use the ATV to break down a wall. I think that is how they are going to get people out of the building. I guess they can't be safe running out the door.

So if they take the first load and find there is nowhere to take them, the water will keep rising and they will drown outside.

I know even if he doesn't survive it is ok with him because he is doing everything he is supposed to do. I just this is really hard.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

NONAME
Weather Guru

Re: wonder [Re: trinibaje]
      #52140 - Mon Aug 29 2005 12:55 PM

I just look at the track for hurricane Katrina and what the chance it would still be a tropical storm when it get to Ohio because I just looked at the track and it passes 13 mile from my home in Defiance Ohio and it should hit us in early wednesday morning think around 1-2am. So Should I prepare somehow thanks.

--------------------
I am a young Weather enthusiast and really want to get to college in a couple of years for meteorology.

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Re: wonder [Re: NONAME]
      #52141 - Mon Aug 29 2005 01:01 PM

Quote:

I just look at the track for hurricane Katrina and what the chance it would still be a tropical storm when it get to Ohio because I just looked at the track and it passes 13 mile from my home in Defiance Ohio and it should hit us in early wednesday morning think around 1-2am. So Should I prepare somehow thanks.

I live in Western PA and dont see it being worse then Ivan, where Pittsburgh was basically under water.

No doubt it will be a Low by the tim it gets up here

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Re: wonder [Re: nate77]
      #52142 - Mon Aug 29 2005 01:03 PM

Down to CAT 2 and falling apart quickly..

Looks also like NO maybe coming out of the worse.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65809

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center