F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Margie]
      #52143 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:06 PM

Confirmed new record storm surge for the U.S. 37 ft in Gulf port bilouxi area. This is confirmed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Margie]
      #52144 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:09 PM

Margie, you are very brave to be keeping everyone informed...it must run in your family. I am praying for your brothers safety as I am sure others here are as well. He is a hero

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52145 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Confirmed new record storm surge for the U.S. 37 ft in Gulf port bilouxi area. This is confirmed

Can you provide a link?

CNN just said highest storm surge there was 22 feet.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: WeatherNut]
      #52146 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:10 PM

Margie i also send that info to a contact at FNC. It will air when they get a confident confimation. Help gets places quiker when there is a little pressure applied.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: nate77]
      #52147 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:13 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lafayette, La
      #52148 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:16 PM

You keep on doing everything you are doing, DM.

Nate, stop watching CNN. They have gotten about 80% of what they are reporting wrong!!! Earlier, they reported NO escaped damage and flooding....The NO I know has lots of flooding and lots of damage.

--------------------
Lived through Betsy ('65), Camile ('69), Edith ('71), Carmen ('74), Danny ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05), Gustav ('08)....Who's next?

Thunder
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #52149 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Now Jim Cantore can say "And I was there, America, I was there...."

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Thunder]
      #52151 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:23 PM

Margie, my prayers for your family..

Shepard Smith made an excellent point just now on Fox News... After Andrew left Miami, the original reports said.. well, not bad... we're fine... UNTIL there was air surveillance... then a striking and terrible picture emerged.. The basic reality is: reporters are only seeing specific points.. the places where they are located... no one will know, for certain, until after the weather clears, the exact who/what/when/where...

Mississippi has taken quite a hit, as far as I can tell.. Biloxi and Gulfport especially. I have also heard talk about a town called Waveland, which was destroyed in Camille.. and may have suffered catastrophic damage today. There are many, many places that aren't covered by news media, and we will not know the true toll of Katrina until later in the week and weeks ahead.

NO ONE who was "missed" by this monster should complain.. they should thank whoever they believe in for their good luck... It should always be kept in mind that for every place that was "missed", another was hit.. For everyone who is able to go back to their home, someone does not have a home to go to..

I am sitting here in front of my bedroom window in Tallahassee, watching clouds pushed by winds briefly darken my view and the trees sway and bind in the gusts... and I am VERY, VERY FAR away from the height of the storm...

There is and will be more to this storm than meets the eye now... My prayers to all...

ALERT: Just north of the French Quarter there is a rescue operation going on... people clinging to telephone poles... what a nightmare..

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52153 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:32 PM

My intent with this post is only to intervene before anything escalates between you two, DM and Nate.

DM, Nate is merely repeating what he saw on the news, which I'm sure many others (me included) have seen on several websites and news stations: that the surge was 22 feet - and asking for a source for your 37-foot figure. I don't think that was an unreasonable request; yes, CNN might (unintentionally) be wrong, but I assume many people, like Nate, don't want to spread the 37-foot number without having a source for it. That's all.

I appreciate your information DM, and I'm guessing Nate appreciates it, too. But with so much conflicting information, a quick post that just states that the 37 foot figure is "confirmed," without more information (such as the source of the figure and the source of the confirmation), is the type of thing a cautious reader might wait to pass along until hearing the source of the information. There is obviously a lot of misinformation (almost always unintentional) going around (as is true in the early period of any natural disaster), and with so much at stake I certainly don't want to pass along potentially incorrect information.

Yes, it sounds like you are receiving much more reliable information than most, but I still can't fault anyone for asking you for your source re: a given piece of information. And I understand you might not have time or energy to post the source right away, but at the same time I find it hard to fault anyone for asking for a source at a time like this.

Having said that, I appreciate the information you've provided and hope you continue to do so, but I also hope that other visitors to this site will continue to ask you (or others) questions if they've seen/heard information which potentially conflicts with what you or anyone else has posted.

My thoughts are with anyone affected by this storm.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: StormKrone]
      #52154 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:34 PM

I feel for those over in Mississippi and Louisiana. I know what they're going through having gone through Ivan. I'm just glad we didn't get a direct hit here again by another powerful storm. The surge here has been very high and the winds have reached close to Hurricane strength at times. Many in town don't have power here. I'm the fortunate one. My prayers go out to those who lost everything.

By the way, I have family in Harrison County, Miss. and was wondering if anyone has heard any reports from there? They evactuated to here so they are wondering. Thanks

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: LisaMaria65]
      #52155 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

You keep on doing everything you are doing, DM.

Nate, stop watching CNN. They have gotten about 80% of what they are reporting wrong!!! Earlier, they reported NO escaped damage and flooding....The NO I know has lots of flooding and lots of damage.

MSNBC showed video from WWLTV from streets of NO, and I must say its not as bad as expected and thats great.

Alot of trees down and some parts of roofs off, but structures are still there and seemed like canal street and burbon and downton area isnt that bad water wise.

Seemed like Tornadoes are the big concern right now. Everyone can start breathing in NO.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: SirCane]
      #52157 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:40 PM

Please don't leave Mobile out of your prayers. Many in my family have either got trees on there homes, or water in there homes. I have several family member that live on the water in Mobile and they all have flooding....The Eastern Shore of Mobile bay has 6 ft waves now crashing into homes.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Brad in Miami]
      #52158 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:41 PM

The information i got was from a Conference call at 1pm. While typing my post Jim Cantore also reported the same thing. He is there. Someone in an earlier post reported no flooding and no leeve problems per a N.O. City official. A little bit of forum research and that post can still be found.This information was way wrong.People clinging to poles and cutting there way out of there attics is not a sign of "no flood problems" Information like that makes people complacent. Being complacent right now is not a good option. Being complacent will get you in trouble quick. You point was well received and my post will be short and to the point with sources reveiled.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: jth]
      #52159 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:43 PM

Oh yeah, I know Mobile had it rough too. The surge here has been pretty bad too all the way to Destin. WHat a MASSIVE storm!

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #52160 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

The information i got was from a Conference call at 1pm. While typing my post Jim Cantore also reported the same thing. He is there. Someone in an earlier post reported no flooding and no leeve problems per a N.O. City official. A little bit of forum research and that post can still be found.This information was way wrong.People clinging to poles and cutting there way out of there attics is not a sign of "no flood problems" Information like that makes people complacent. Being complacent right now is not a good option. Being complacent will get you in trouble quick. You point was well received and my post will be short and to the point with sources reveiled.

I reported that about the City Offical saying that the levees were holding.

MSNBC OR FOX had a city offical on about 11 AM EST and was asked about the break in the levee and he responded that he had no report of that and he was tolf that they are holding up.

I just put what was reported on TV. I rather have a link, there is alot of hearsay going on.

But this was reported on TV.

CNN was talking to a meterologist from NHC and he said that a 15-20 foot surge could still be had on the Mississippi-Alabama Coast, he said that as of Noon, the higest registered surge was 22 Feet on Mississippi coast.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
      #52161 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:47 PM

Has there been any further updates to the School that collapsed in Pascagoula Ms? There were over 500 people in there. Any reports from that area. I would have assumed with that many at risk, there would have been some news about that.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: nate77]
      #52162 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:48 PM

I think it's far too early to suggest that NO can breathe. Video is sporadic and coming from a few areas. The city itself is far too large to sound an all-clear on quite yet.

As someone mentioned above, people said "we're fine" after Andrew as well - something that was decidedly not entirely accurate.

YMMV SPSFD

*It should be noted, that just because you heard it on TV doesn't necessarily make it accurate... In the push for news, they often don't fully corroborate information before releasing it.

Edited by tpratch (Mon Aug 29 2005 05:50 PM)

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52163 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Has there been any further updates to the School that collapsed in Pascagoula Ms? There were over 500 people in there. Any reports from that area. I would have assumed with that many at risk, there would have been some news about that.

I havent heard a thing about it and I have been monitoring WWLTV and WDSU TV online and Cable News on TV.

I know Video can be misleading. but Downtown was a main concern and they showed parts of it and it doesnt look as bad as it could of been. Thank God.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #52164 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Margie i also send that info to a contact at FNC. It will air when they get a confident confimation. Help gets places quiker when there is a little pressure applied.

I don't know what FNC is.

I looked at the radar. Right now Jackson County is getting hammered with bands and the wind direction is from the SSW, which means water is continuing to get pushed up there, even if it is no longer the case along the western MS coast. I can see there is a very intense band that just went right through that part of the county, and more coming. So I know the water is still rising there and continuing to rise, and that the winds will still be high there for some time, and I am a logical person and so I know they had no place left that wasn't underwater, and couldn't survive above it.

I just saw that picture of the I-10 bridge in Mobile that goes out from the city towards Pensacola. However people who have not lived there don't understand the implications of this and how high the bridge is, and how impossible such an image is to comprehend. So if it is that way in Mobile then I understand how it is in Jackson County, which is closer to the eye.

It is ok but I know that there is no chance for them. My brother is the type of person who at the last would probably try to take a cilivilan and keep them afloat as long as it was possible, and he would be ok with that.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: tpratch]
      #52165 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:52 PM

Thay may be true all.

Again, CNN has reported that by the end of this storm, it may well exceed over 25 Billion dollars in damage. And people are reporting not too bad. Yeah right.!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65426

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center