F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: tpratch]
      #52167 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:54 PM

Please dont forget that this whopper is traveling up the Mississippi and Ohio river valleys dumping huge amounts of rain. THAT RAIN will travel back down to NO in a day or two. Pray the river does not overflow it's banks.

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lafayette, La
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: nate77]
      #52168 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You keep on doing everything you are doing, DM.

Nate, stop watching CNN. They have gotten about 80% of what they are reporting wrong!!! Earlier, they reported NO escaped damage and flooding....The NO I know has lots of flooding and lots of damage.

MSNBC showed video from WWLTV from streets of NO, and I must say its not as bad as expected and thats great.

Alot of trees down and some parts of roofs off, but structures are still there and seemed like canal street and burbon and downton area isnt that bad water wise.

Seemed like Tornadoes are the big concern right now. Everyone can start breathing in NO.

Everyone can't start breathing in NO. In areas of NO, there is 8-10 feet of water, people stranded on their roofs because their house is flooded and they had to get on their roof or they would drown.

These News stations have their reporters in certain areas of the city reporting ONLY on what they can see. If their area happens to be somewhat free from flooding or collapsed buildings, that is what they report. That is no indication of how the entire city is faring.

Shepard Smith reported from Bourban Street If you had plans to come to NO next week and party, come on over, the party will be on....or something to that effect. IMO, not only is that not a professional thing to say during something like this but it's not accurate.

--------------------
Lived through Betsy ('65), Camile ('69), Edith ('71), Carmen ('74), Danny ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05), Gustav ('08)....Who's next?

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: stormchazer]
      #52169 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:56 PM

Let's talk about this levy 'break' on the industrial canal.... Apparently it was also 'broken' during Betsy to spare New Orleans at the expense of the lower 9th ward and Arabi. This 'break' for Betsy was made on purpose. Anyone know if it was purposely broken again this time?

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: collegemom]
      #52170 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:56 PM

Has any news agencies been reporting causaulties yet? I hope there are none, but know we really haven't touched the surface, as what happened in the wake of Andrew.

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: nate77]
      #52172 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:57 PM

Oceanographist on MSNBC

asked if the Levees will hold..

He answered that yes they can hold, but he herad a report that one did break and has caused some MINOR local flooding,

He also said that The city could hold up to a couple feet of flood water.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52173 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:58 PM

Has any news agencies been reporting causaulties yet? I hope there are none, but know we really haven't touched the surface, as what happened in the wake of Andrew.

We are still early on in the game, and this is really far from over, but I can see Katrina eventually overtaking Andrew as the most expensive hurricane on record. In lieu of astonishing devastation in an extremely isolated area (ie Andrew, Charley), Katrina boasts of a more moderated destruction (at least from what we have seen thus far… which is liable to change), but over an extraordinarily large area. Granted… when you are talking about storm surge levels of the kind being thrown around here, you see a different kind of damage than seen in an otherwise exclusively extreme wind event. Due to the incredibly large area of destruction with this storm, look to see fatalities (especially indirect fatalities) skyrocket in the coming days. You know you have a serious problem when a “minimal” hurricane causes several billion dollars in damage over South Florida like Katrina did last week. These things are becoming way too expensive.

Of course, this is only conjecture.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Mon Aug 29 2005 06:01 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: collegemom]
      #52174 - Mon Aug 29 2005 05:58 PM

You can hear Jim Cantore talk about the incredible storm surge in Gulfport here..

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/index....=wxcenter_video

This one looks like it pulled something similar to Ivan, but stronger, where massive flooding occured to the east of the storm

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
      #52175 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:01 PM

Unfortunately, most of these television stations do not take the time to confirm these reports before they put them on the air, so just because it's on tv doesn't make it necessarily true. It's a race to get the information out there first, and IMHO to see who can be the most sensational at times. I've seen conflicting reports about this storm on all the major networks just today. One station said the superdome leaks were just a drizzle, another said the water was "pouring" in. Brian Williams from NBC stayed in the superdome and he said the turf was saturated and everything was wet, and specifically said it was a substantial amount of water coming in. Also, as someone said earlier, the reporters are very isolated right now and can only see what's going on in their immediate area. When Charley went through, or even Ivan, it wasn't until they flew over in choppers that you could actually grasp the enormity of what happened. On another note, I'm not sure how they measured the 22 foot storm surge, but my understanding is that Jim Cantore is on the 2nd floor of a building in Gulfport that was supposed to be safe for a 27 foot storm surge, and they are standing in water past their ankles on the second floor. Sounds a bit higher than 22 feet to me. Just my 2 cents.

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: MikeC]
      #52176 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:02 PM

From the Destin Area here....

We have as much water in the yard as we had from Dennis..... not as bad as Ivan, but this storm came into LOUSIANA!

AMAZING amounts of water here for this thing which is nothing more than a TS here. I'm headed out in a bit to get some pictures around the area, as we are not under curfew and it has calmed down enough for me to do so.

Folks, it is REAL bad west of us. We're not in great shape here, and we're 200nm+ away from the storm!

No significant property damage here other than a big mess..... but I bet south of 98 here in Destin that is NOT true.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52177 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:02 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being on the right side (East) of the storm, is where you will probally have major damage as well as huge storm surges. so saying it pulled an Ivan is in-correct, as those areas should have know to expect the worse that Katrina can give.

They did, please read, I said it did something similar to Ivan with the surge, as a comparison, which is the last good example of where a powerful storm came across the gulf and pushed water upward into the gulf. Yes this is normal for storms of this strength hitting the Northern gulf, this is the point.

Edited by MikeC (Mon Aug 29 2005 06:28 PM)

garrison
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #52178 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:03 PM

It's going to take hours, if not days to seperate fact from fiction here, quite frankly i'd be amazed if portions of NO haven't been significantly flooded. I've got the same news sources as everyone else and it certainly sounds like portions are underwater with people on their roofs. I think the big story will be the devastation from NO east to Mobile, I would suspect "Andrew" like damage in a couple coastal towns, that we just dont know about.

abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: apopka
      #52179 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:06 PM

Here's a link to some amazing photos. Click on the slideshow
http://news.yahoo.com/

msbs44

Reged:
Picayune, MS [Re: stormchazer]
      #52180 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:09 PM

Does Anyone know anything about Picayune, MS? Most of my family is in the area and I'm in New Jersey worried sick!

Thunder
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Genesis]
      #52181 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:10 PM

Quote:

From the Destin Area here....

We have as much water in the yard as we had from Dennis..... not as bad as Ivan, but this storm came into LOUSIANA!

AMAZING amounts of water here for this thing which is nothing more than a TS here. I'm headed out in a bit to get some pictures around the area, as we are not under curfew and it has calmed down enough for me to do so.

Folks, it is REAL bad west of us. We're not in great shape here, and we're 200nm+ away from the storm!

No significant property damage here other than a big mess..... but I bet south of 98 here in Destin that is NOT true.

My mother-in-law lives on the harbor on Holiday Isle in Destin..... She had to evac. yesterday, I wonder how the place is fairing...

Edited by Thunder (Mon Aug 29 2005 06:12 PM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #52182 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:11 PM

I dont know any better confirmation than "eye-witness" reports. That building is 27 ft above sea level. I remember them reporting about it yesterday on TWC when Jim was thanking them for letting them broadcast from there. 27 + 10 = 37 where I come from. Jim also did not sound like he was sensationalizing...he actually sounded exhausted. Let us not forget what these guys risk to bring us this information

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: WeatherNut]
      #52183 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:15 PM

Jim and his producer where standing in water up to the top of there boots in that building. They where standing on the second floor.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: MikeC]
      #52185 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:20 PM

Mike,

Can we get a new thread for Katrina.

Katrina's Aftermath.

While Katrina is a hurricane It's not over yet. - Mike C.

Edited by MikeC (Mon Aug 29 2005 06:24 PM)

native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: Terra]
      #52186 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:22 PM

Warning: this is not meant to alarm or be graphic but....I don't know why I just now thought of this but, we all know that in NO their deceased are not buried underground but above in mausoleums or something like that. Is this true of anywhere else being affected? I would think that the flooding coupled with this could create a whole different type of "catastrophe", possibly contamination issues. Has anyone heard of or have any news stations mentioned this? I would think that it may be of concern to the citizens/volunteers/workers who will ultimately be in the remnants of the storm waters helping to rescue/restore/rebuild. ?

Catmando

Reged:
TD #13 Storm [Re: MikeC]
      #52188 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:26 PM

Amidst the concern for those in the path of Katrina-Has it been noted TD #13 looks like its going away?

VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGES AND A FEW SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE
THAT THE DEPRESSION HAS DEGENERATED INTO A BROAD AREA OF LOW
PRESSURE. GLOBAL MODELS AND THE GFDL WERE CORRECT IN SUGGESTING
THAT THIS CYCLONE WAS NOT GOING TO DEVELOP FURTHER.

rwstoney

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: MikeC]
      #52189 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:26 PM

The best location info I have is 30.2N 89.6W. This is from NWS advisory 27 that is now almost 3.5 hours old. Does anyone know where to find more up to date location data?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65452

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center