F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
RyanRedCross1
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: G. J.]
      #52526 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:01 PM

First thank you to site administrators and Skeetobite for helping promote the Red Cross on this website and others.

The Red Cross relief effort for this disaster, like the storm itself, will be unprecedented.

To expediate flow of disaster supplies and funds, donations should be made to 1800 HELP NOW or on the redcross.org website. Please call and also ask about bulk in-kind donations that can be made. For example--pallates of food and water (easily transported and very much in demand)

Please also refer to the Salvation Army for in-kind and monetary donations for the relief effort.

Thanks to all of you guys!! Any small amount that you can give will make a difference. We are there because of the generosity of the everyday American citizen and will continue to be with your help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Bloodstar]
      #52527 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

Using the army? hmmmm. I think it's a bad idea, but when you have Martial Law, sometimes even a bad idea is the best one available

This is not unusual. The army (not just the Guard) was deployed after Andrew and other major disasters. There is a SeaBee base in Gulfport and I assume they will be put to work at disaster relief if they have the troops available (not overseas). The army tradition in disasters goes back to at least the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 after which the commander of the Presidio, the local army base, ran the town and the relief effort for some time.

I saw one bit of film of an obviously poor African-American family in Houma whose home had been wrecked, but what was left had already been looted by the time they could get back to it. I certainly think if it takes the army--and I'm pretty sure it will--to stop this sort of thing, they need to send them (if, as I've been saying, they've got them) in sooner rather than later. Also, the army has a lot of equipment--heavy trucks, helos, amphibian vehicles--that will be very helpful.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: RyanRedCross1]
      #52528 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:14 PM

This may have been posted already. If so I'm sorry. Some of you may have already seen it, also. I have to warn you. This is the saddest video that I have ever seen it will wrench your gut.

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.h....wkrg&wm=10

On another note, the looting is absolutely rampant. CNN producer was just on the tv. "100's of people looting on Canal Street." Too many people to stop. "City wide looting." People are TRYING STUFF ON in the streets.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Tue Aug 30 2005 02:35 PM)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #52529 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:17 PM

If anyone was watching the weather channel prior to landfall, Max Mayfield said it best when being interviewd by Larry King about the difference between a CAT 5 or CAT 4, Max replied:
Well it;s like being hit by a freight train, or getting runned over by an eighteen wheeler, both outcomes are not good. Why am I pointing this out!

Well, FNC, CNN and others fevorishly went on the air and said that N.O escape a direct hit. Damage not as bad. When all the local officials were stating that this was going to be a catastrophy. Regardless where the eye came ashore, Max Mayfield said it was going to be bad, for everone, not only N.O. And now look at what we have in N.O., a major catastrophy on thier hands. This is not to say that the other areas aren't as bad, because we all know that outcome. A horrific scene up and down the Gulf Coast. Utterly un-imagineable scenes of devistation.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52530 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:19 PM

I saw earlier on CNN they talked with an Officer with the National Guard that has been in Bagdad with his unit from LA and they are scheduled to be home I think next week. He told them when they do get home they will change hats and do what they need to do to help

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52531 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:21 PM

Shoot them?? What an inappropriate thing to say! I agree that the people who are looting are wrong and I don't condone it but....desperate people do desperate things.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52532 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:22 PM

I think we may see that Biloxi and Gulfport are worse than anyone imagined

zmdz01
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Simi Valley, CA
More Help on the way [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #52533 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:26 PM

Here is a news item from Los Angeles:

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles County Fire Department's swift-water rescue team is headed for March Air Force Base in Riverside County, where team members will board a military aircraft bound for Louisiana on Tuesday/

Inspector Ron Haralson says the 14-member team, one of eight mobilized from California, will assist with water rescues in areas ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Re: More Help on the way [Re: zmdz01]
      #52535 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:29 PM

Just heard Many Fatalities in Bay st Louis They are pleading for any doctors or nurses need them immediately

If anyone knows any medical personel, they are needed asap

Edited by DebbiePSL (Tue Aug 30 2005 02:30 PM)

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: native]
      #52536 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:30 PM

A message needs to be sent to the looters, who are capitalizing on the absence of authority as all resources are directed towards rescue and preventing the city from complete submersion.

For a little bit of good news, the Coast Guard has rescued over 1200 people.

-- edit - let's let the news sources talk about possible deaths.. too many unsubstantiated reports are floating around. Accuracy is more important than the speed of reporting. --RedingtonBeachGuy

Not to be contrary Redington, and I will respect your wishes and not repost my comment, but are official statements by city spokesmen REALLY unsubstantianted? In our current situation, that's about as good as you can get.

Edited by Big Red Machine (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:15 PM)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
      #52537 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:31 PM

I must agree with Native, with remarks/comments like this, this only adds fuel to the fire that already exists. Pleas show some couth of what they are facing there. I admit, how do they stop it. The city will be at seige here shortly if someone (National Guard, Army, Navy, Marines Coast Guard don't come in to help soon. It will be utter caos there.

zmdz01
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Simi Valley, CA
Jefferson Parish [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52539 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:39 PM

This item was on the www.wwltv.com webpage:

"Jeff Parish President. Residents will probably be allowed back in town in a week, with identification only, but only to get essentials and clothing. You will then be asked to leave and not come back for one month."

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Tampa Area
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52540 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:40 PM

I agree with you BRM, if they are trying clothes on in the street and stealing electronics, that is not desperation. Besides that, they are stealing from a storeowner who has, for all intents and purposes, lost their only way to make a living. They showed on the news where someone had busted open an atm and taken all the money as well. Even if they are desperate, that's nothing but bank robbery.

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Cape Coral, FL
      #52541 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:41 PM

Unfortunately there will always be some low lifes who take advantage of someone else's misery. I prefer to talk about the police, fire, EMS, National Guard, Red Cross and other volunteers who put others above their own needs. God Bless Em. We're going to see an outpouring of help from all over our country. And it's not just the government that's going to make this work--it's going to be the average American citizen who has and will always step forward when a national crisis occurs, and this is a national crisis. We're the children and grandchildren of "The Greatest Generation" and we'll continue their legacy of commitment, unselfishess and sacrifice. As a symbol of my support for all those Katrina affected and our unity in this time of crisis, I put the Stars and Stripes up this morning. It'll stay there a while.

Kattbyrde
Verified CFHC User

Re: More Help on the way [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #52542 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:43 PM

I know this is completely off topic, but does anyone know how I can find out about a friend of mine who lives in Pearl River, LA? I'm not sure if she evacuated in time, if she's ok, etc. Just in case there's anyone here who lives in that area, her name is Donna Johnson. Thanks.

Many are using the Blog at:
www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

Of course, you can also call your local Red Cross.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Tue Aug 30 2005 02:49 PM)

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: tenavilla]
      #52543 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:44 PM

It is sad that the looters are preying on the victims of this tragedy and they should be punished for it, I think right now though the officals feel it is more important to rescue those in need.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: CoalCracker]
      #52544 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:46 PM

WELL SAID COAL !! I will do the same.

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: More Help on the way [Re: Kattbyrde]
      #52545 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:49 PM

Don't know where to post this.. Suggestion to the Mods:

Perhaps a thread for personal stories would be appropriate. A place for people to post inquiries and information regarding their families and friends in the area.

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with them being posted in this thread... only am thinking that such inquiries might get buried here... and when a new thread starts, these posts might be left behind.

Just a thought..

-- Edit - you are welsome to start a new thread in the 2005 Storm Forum for that if you like. I will send the site admins your suggestion as well. Thank you.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Tue Aug 30 2005 02:52 PM)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #52546 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:51 PM

Quote:

I saw earlier on CNN they talked with an Officer with the National Guard that has been in Bagdad with his unit from LA and they are scheduled to be home I think next week. He told them when they do get home they will change hats and do what they need to do to help

That's one unit and they'll be there (exhausted from Iraq duty) in a WEEK?

BeachBum
Weather Watcher

Loc: The Space Coast
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Bloodstar]
      #52547 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:55 PM

Quote:

Using the army? hmmmm. I think it's a bad idea, but when you have Martial Law, sometimes even a bad idea is the best one available (if the alternatives are worse... which very well might be the case).-Mark

The National Guard was very helpful directing traffic after Jeanne. The local police had much else to do.

--------------------
From Brevard's Barrier Island
28°08'56"N; 80°35'11"W

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 651 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63602

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center