F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52548 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:58 PM

"That's one unit and they'll be there (exhausted from Iraq duty) in a WEEK?"

I think she was just saying that there is a unit coming from Iraq to help. It may be only one unit but there are already many units there and will be many more to come. This is less then 24 hours since it hit. Also, they may be exhausted but they will be fine. This is what they do. They are trained for it and I bet NONE will complain.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
      #52549 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:00 PM

BT that is what he said, they live there it is their home and they will do what they can to help. no it is a unit scheduled to come home and just so happens they live there and he said they would change hats and do what they could to help

Edited by DebbiePSL (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:02 PM)

alley

Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: More Help on the way [Re: zmdz01]
      #52550 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:02 PM

Does anyone know if St Charles Ave is flooding? I just saw Canal St on CNN and the water is rising there. St. Charles General Hospital is on St. Charles Ave and I think corner of Canal.

Reason for asking - my hospice nurse just left my home and her daughter, Kathy Grinstead, is working in the hospital with all of her 5 children and the daughter's father, Ken Gue (all are with hospice). She last talked to her daughter yesterday at 9:30pm. She has been unable to get through by phone to talk to her daughter.

I told my nurse I would try to get some information for her on the conditions in that area. Now I hear that they want everyone out of the city. Also just heard that all of the hospitals are closed and that they have all been evacuated. Watching CNN. Now I need to confirm that ALL hospitals are closed and everyone has been evacuated.

Can someone help me, please?

Alley

-- edit - your best sources for information are going to be:
http://www.wwltv.com/
http://www.nola.com

or watch some of the live TV broadcasts here:
http://www.weatherserver.net/livevideo.htm

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:07 PM)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52551 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:02 PM

Regardless of what those of us here at our computers think about the appropriateness of shooting looters, they are going to get shot. Surely we haven't all forgotten the pictures of gun-toting Floridians in the aftermath of Andrew. Louisiana/Mississippi have a similar attitude to Florida on this subject. There is going to be lots and lots of VIOLENCE until/unless governmental authority is re-established in the devestated areas. I am reassured somehwat by the footage of Coast Guard helos rescuing people. That demonstrates a Federal response. But I hope a lot more is happening that we can't yet see. As I said, I think the Navy is there or about to arrive as well.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #52552 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:06 PM

Indeed there will BT. CNN reported earlier that some of there reporters in New Orleans were hearing gunfire.

The news of the 1200 Coast Guard rescues was probably the best I've heard all day too.

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: emackl]
      #52553 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:09 PM

I know they won't complain and I know they'll do what they can, but it's far from enough. I don't want to get carried away on this ubject but what disturbs me is that so far, I have seen evidence of scattered local "first responders" (cops and firemen in small boats) and a few Coast Guard helos in action, but what we need here is a massive effort to get to survivors in places like Grande Isle, Bay St. Louis, Pass Chrisitian and so on before they succumb. Remember that in most disasters like this, the majority of deaths come AFTER the storm is over--people electrocuting themselves and such--and that's not counting rising water from a levee break. If a CNN reported could get to Bay St. Louis this morning (as I saw on TV), why can't some form of Federal response? That summarizes my point. I think today is the day when it has to start to minimize loss of life.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

#52554 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:10 PM

What a nightmare - things are getting restless at the superdome also,and now they have a fire that just broke out

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

#52555 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:12 PM

BT they are in Bay St Louis , I posted earlier that they were asking for medical personel ASAP and they said hundreds were dead

ps - they are showing a medical helicopter bringing in medical supplies

Edited by DebbiePSL (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:14 PM)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: MikeC]
      #52556 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:14 PM

Here's maybe a stupid question but one I have been wondering about and I'd appreciate it if anyone has any knowledgeable thoughts: Doesn't all that rain coming down in the Tennessee and Ohio River valleys end up in the Mississippi and doesn't it have to drain past New Olreans? Can the Mississippi overtop the levees simply from river flow? If not normally, is it a concern now if there is standing water on the city side of the levees (which might weaken them?)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #52557 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:15 PM

This is a city that could potentially, and I say that lightly, that could be overwhelmed by the enormous tragedy taken place in their city. The city is on the brink, as the reports are coming out on local and National news channels. When people are taking their life by jumping from the Superdome, knowing what the city faces, how much can they endure is my question. Help is needed and fast, before an erruption of violence breaks out all over the city.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

#52558 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:17 PM

Not sure how true it is , but last night on I think Chris Matthews he asked that question and the person and I can't remember who it was said no.

reporter on CNN just said water is hip deep around the superdome unbelievable

Edited by DebbiePSL (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:20 PM)

age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Winter Park
      #52559 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:20 PM

Not all of the looters are preying on others' misery, some are breaking into grocery stores so they have something to eat. I'm not saying it's okay by any means, but as someone said, desperate people do desperate things. I hope they are able to do some food drops or something.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #52560 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:21 PM

Having lived in Baton Rouge for a few years, the river is susceptible
(sp) to rain. Dont know what the flood stage is anymore or where
it is right now in relation to flood stage.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: NewWatcher]
      #52561 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:24 PM

Corps of Engineers are working the levee. Where it was compromised ,it has broken. Also have a second breach They are now working to rush for military personel

PS also said neighboring states are sending in National Guard

Edited by DebbiePSL (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:26 PM)

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
      #52563 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:26 PM

Also a third area of the levee that they are concerned could become compromised.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
      #52564 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:30 PM Attachment (153 downloads)

When faced with tragedy's, there is one symbol that will show our belief that anything is possible.

please post any images as a LINK...thanks

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/l...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Edited by The Force 2005 (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:38 PM)

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: age234]
      #52566 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:32 PM

Just got word from Gov. officials that due to looting and lack of public services, That Marshall law will be instituted some time within the next 24 hours. Details are being worked out at this time and are still scetchy.
Marshall law has not beein instituted in some time. Im sorry i havent posted all day today but due to current events time is in short supply. This will be my last post for some time as i am in route to the effected areas. Thanks for all the info and concern for the victims in this event. I assure you that my self and the rest of the Federal Gov. Disaster services are taking care of issues the best way possible under these sircumstances.

RP
National Flood Insurance Program

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: MikeC]
      #52567 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:39 PM

Well, as CNN has reported, we also have the matter to the toxic, infected, mosquito-breeding soup in which any one in New Orleans is now living. Those reporters you see wandering in multi-foot deep water may not know it, but they are taking their lives in their hands: Typhoid, cholera, typhus, malaria, dengue, even yellow fever. These are things Americans think are third-world matters. They are now going to be New Orleans issues: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/050110/10health.b.htm . Also, as CNN pointed out, there is the matter of disoriented animals (and people) wandering the rubble etc etc. I think we are going to see something ghastly. As bad as Andrew was, the aftermath took place on dry land in places the rescuers could get to. This is happening in an inaccessible toxic swamp hundreds of miles wide.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52568 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:41 PM

Just heard on CNN Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida said this tragedy will reach across the country and everyone will feel it. Already , gas supplies in Florida are compromised and subject has come up of possible gas rationing???

wannabemet

Loc: Clarksville, TN
      #52569 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:42 PM

Been a reader for quite a long time. My ex-wife lives (or now USED to live) in Gulfport, MS about 1 1/2 blks from the beach. Pretty much can guarantee her new townhouse is gone. I've been unable to reach her, but spoke to her mother. She hunkered down with her best friend in Gautier, MS which is near Pasagoula. Said she has never been so scared in her life, and she is leaving Mississippi as soon as she can. They were in a brand new house about 1 1/2 mi from the Gulf, and the roof almost came off. But they sound like they (luckily) came out OK.

Unrelated news...gas is about to go through the roof. I suggest everyone go and "top-off" their tanks NOW. Latest news from AP...gas in Gulf states is wholesaling at $3.15 a gallon, and they usually have the cheapest in the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050830/bs_nm/energy_gasoline_prices_dc_4

God bless those on the Gulf Coast....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63575

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center