F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
marathonman

Reged: Tue
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: charlottefl]
      #52461 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:59 AM

Is the bridge between Slidell and New Orleans gone? Heard a rumor and looking for news story. Also can not find my sister Elaind Brown . She was last in contact from cell phone at 9:00am Monday am as water was coming into her second floor of her Slidell apt.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52462 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:00 PM

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb_latest/danger_atl_latestBW.gif

here we MIGHT go again

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: SirCane]
      #52463 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:00 PM

It is safe to say that we will "NEVER" have another storm named Katrina. Good riddens.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: VolusiaMike]
      #52464 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:00 PM

While not destroyed to the point of no return (though this could be debated), New Orleans seems to be at the very least out of service for the next year. The mayor said that 80% of the city was flooded (last night and that's before the CBD flooded). It's tough to guesstimate, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that at least 50% of the homes are flooded. Not necessarily destroyed, but due to the extensive repairs required and the dire health hazard, people will not be able to live in many of these homes that have sat in water for the period that these homes will end up sitting. If I'm not mistaken that's likely close to 750,000 homeless (and likely jobless). Just in N.O. add in those in MS, Alabama, and elsewhere in LA and you have an astronomical figure. There is no way to house all of these folks. I saw what they did after Charley in regards to the "trailer city." You cannot build a trailer city for one million people. Add in the environmental hazards the area is facing... oil and gas all over the water... bug breeding grounds... lack of water (ironically enough).... close quarters for survivors... fires... floating dead... wild animals... and looting.

I still don't think people truly understand what is happening here, especially thanks to the erroneous early reports of a "spared city." This morning one of the major networks was discussing the dolphins in the pool in MS and then proceeded to joke around for a few minutes about dolphins killing sharks. How utterly inappropriate. Would such a glib attitude have been taken on September 11th? This is most likely the worst natural disaster (and it can be argued that it is the worst disaster, not just natural) of our time, at least since the San Francisco earthquake/fire. I hope people wake up to this fact, but more importantly I hope that the lives of those so irrevocably affected by this catastrophe are SOMEHOW able to recover.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: marathonman]
      #52466 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Is the bridge between Slidell and New Orleans gone?

Yes, parts of the bridge are gone. http://www.wzzm13.com/news/grmetro_article.aspx?storyid=43550

Just watched a report from Bay St. Louis on CNN. Camille-ish.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Steve H1]
      #52467 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Hate to bring this up, but 91L is now NONAME on the NRL site. Models are now shifting left on the 12Z runs. Models also are developing something near the Bahamas. Need to watch these features......the peak of the season is coming up soon.

If you are going to talk about this 91l the 12Z model runs only move left the early part ,but the gdfl and NOGAPS still take it as a fish just a little more down the road since it is relocated the center.The local met said the center may be reforming more south and that is what the models are picking up on but all still take it as a fish so lets just worry right now about the people in N.O and save the fish for another day

Edited by ralphfl (Tue Aug 30 2005 12:05 PM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: WeatherNut]
      #52468 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Margie, I searched all your recent posts and I have been thinking of your brother all night. I was wondering if you had any word from him. As bad as it was in Atlanta last night (32 tornado warnings)....I cant even imagine the gulf coast. If you have not heard from him I pray that you will soon. I have a house guest who owns a business in the Quarter in NO and he is being told it could be a month before he can be up and running. It took him 15hrs to drive up here (usually takes 7).

As soon as I have any word I will post it here.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: ralphfl]
      #52469 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:08 PM

I thought this was a tropical weather site.

it is...your post stays

Edited by LI Phil (Tue Aug 30 2005 12:42 PM)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52470 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:09 PM

As the point I was trying to make on my previous posts. Still, have not heard or seen any reports coming in from around the world for assistance. This will go down history as perhaps the worst disaster for the U.S. barring any futrue storms.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: ralphfl]
      #52471 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hate to bring this up, but 91L is now NONAME on the NRL site. Models are now shifting left on the 12Z runs. Models also are developing something near the Bahamas. Need to watch these features......the peak of the season is coming up soon.

If you are going to talk about this 91l the 12Z model runs only move left the early part ,but the gdfl and NOGAPS still take it as a fish just a little more down the road since it is relocated the center.The local met said the center may be reforming more south and that is what the models are picking up on but all still take it as a fish so lets just worry right now about the people in N.O and save the fish for another day

Good reply Ralph.

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

#52473 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:13 PM

Pardon me, but maybe the discussions of the aftermath of the storm should be placed in its own forum. Can we do that John?

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52474 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:14 PM

For New Orleans - a dangerously vulnerable city because it sits mostly below sea level in a bowl-shaped depression - it was not the apocalyptic storm forecasters had feared.

As qouted by a local commentator for a local news station in N.O.

How absurd!!!

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

#52475 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:15 PM

What are you trying to say?

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

#52476 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:17 PM

That these posts are news related - no longer weather related. You can get all that info on Fox/CNN, why are we re-posting it here? You can PM a friend with info if need be. Those are the rules correct??

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

#52477 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:18 PM

This is a tropical website forum, but you have to admit to yourself, that there is a human tragedy taken place here. This is the forum we are using for people to somehow try to make contact with loved ones that have been affected by this storm.

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

#52478 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:19 PM

Fair enough.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

#52479 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:20 PM

If you read previous posts, the rules have been relaxed to the nature of the clamity taken place.

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
      #52480 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:21 PM

Calm it down a bit folks.

Aftermath discussions usually take place in the threads (especially ones entitled Katrina Aftermath).

The mods here will deem what is inappropriate content-wise. Yes, we have a potential fish spinner on our hands, so until it gets its own thread, the forecast forum is always a safe place to discuss this.

Please don't forget that the aftermath is as much a part of our discussion as the formation and landfall are.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #52481 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:21 PM

Yes Mike C posted earlier the rules would be relaxed in this particular
case, and I agree with that. However, it doesnt mean we can ONLY talk
about the tragedy and not on impending storms etc. IMHO

All this bickering is unnecessary, it shouldnt bother anyone to talk
about either one!

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Edited by NewWatcher (Tue Aug 30 2005 12:23 PM)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: tpratch]
      #52482 - Tue Aug 30 2005 12:22 PM

Thank-You

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 62770

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center