F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
oudevil
Unregistered

orleans parrish
      #52591 - Tue Aug 30 2005 05:17 PM

Does anyone have information regarding Orleans Parrish Northeast of Downtown New Orleans? My house is about 2 miles south of I 10 NE of downtown. I have been watching the news but have not heard anything. Any numbers I can call?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Soupyjkj
Unregistered

Re: orleans parrish [Re: oudevil]
      #52601 - Tue Aug 30 2005 05:43 PM

CNN is saying as we speak that they have moved people from the jail b/c water was flowing into there. CNN also says 80% of New Orleans is flooded. I wish you the best!

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #52625 - Tue Aug 30 2005 07:09 PM

That area sounds like you are towards Chalmette or the 9th Ward, if not a bit further north. Most of those areas have been completely inundated with water, I'm afraid, with water levels up to 12' in spots. In the city itself it isn't as bad (yet), but once you start to move further east, it gets pretty bad.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

tashina
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: orleans parrish [Re: Clark]
      #52635 - Tue Aug 30 2005 07:45 PM

Local TV is reporting that the 17th st levee fix has failed and to get this out to everyone ASAP in case anyone can reach relatives.The pump is being disabled. The East Bank of Jefferson Parish and Orleans Parish is expected to now flood to sea level - estimated 12'-15'.

The feed I'm watching is:
http://www.khou.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_khou&props=livenoad

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: BROWARD
Re: orleans parrish [Re: tashina]
      #52647 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:14 PM

Info on Belle Chasse just E of NO in Plaquemine Parish??? Under water??? I have people there.

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

hawg92
Unregistered

Re: Plaquemines parish [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #52805 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:59 PM

Plaquemines Parish no longer exists. It has been absorbed by the mouth of the Mississippi. We haven't heard much about survivors in that area. I wish you well.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Plaquemines parish [Re: hawg92]
      #52845 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:13 AM

There have been reports of about 3000 rescues across the region, with a good number in Plaquemines Parish. A lot of the parish is underwater, but there exists some dry land still and relief efforts aimed at rescuing those trapped further south are underway.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

garylowery84
Unregistered

Re: orleans parrish [Re: tashina]
      #52850 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:28 AM

Quote:

Local TV is reporting that the 17th st levee fix has failed and to get this out to everyone ASAP in case anyone can reach relatives.The pump is being disabled. The East Bank of Jefferson Parish and Orleans Parish is expected to now flood to sea level - estimated 12'-15'.

I would like to know if anyone has heard how Metairie has come through with this hurricane. Cannot get through to friends there.

Disheartened
Unregistered

Re: orleans parrish [Re: garylowery84]
      #52856 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:18 AM

Most of Metairie is under water. There is an area South of Bonnabel towards the 17th Street Canal that has some dryish land, but I don't know if it will remain so since they are saying that they are expecting 15 more feet of water to come into the area. I'm not sure of they mean Orleans Parish, or the surrounding areas also. My father didn't get water in his house (he is in that area in Metairie, on the Lake Ponchatrain side of Veterans Hwy), but I have 2 sisters, an aunt and uncle, two other aunts, a cousin, and my sister's ex husband who have all lost everything due to 6 feet or more of water in their homes in the Lakeview and Metairie/Kenner areas. Algiers is suppost to be okay for the most part. We have a family member in Picayune and we can't find out any info about that area, just that it was horribly flooded and is inaccessable.

I am disgusted by the looting. A policeman got shot in the head by a looter. It will be a while before anyone is allowed back in the area to see the damage to their homes. No water, no electricity, sweltering heat and humidity... tempers and fears will get/are getting the best of people as they are trapped in the city with no way out. People are being car-jacked and shot over looting goods. It's dangerous to go outside. Please pray for everyone, even if you aren't particularly religious. It can't hurt, and they need our prayers and support. I grew up in New Orleans but now live in Florida and I knew when I saw Katrina hitting the mouth of the Mississippi that it was going to be bad even though it didn't hit the city directly, but watching the coverage of the aftermath is devestating and is so far beyond comprehension of anything I ever thought could happen to say the least even though they've been saying it could happen for years and years. I know it's going to take years to rebuild the city, and forever to rebuild people's lives and emotional state of being. Pensacola still has many houses with blue tarps on their roofs from Ivan last August because they couldn't get enough contractors to go in and help everyone quicker. New Orleans is going to be worse, far worse.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. Thank you for lending me your ears. I have to be strong for my family, but all I want to do is cry for their losses. At least they are alive though. That is the best thing that has happened. We still have each other. I hope you all find your loved ones safe, and even if homes are lost, I hope you find comfort in the fact that they are still alive. That's what is important. It's hard to remember that with all of the devestation, I know, but try to. It's what is holding us together. We just need to figure out how to get my father and aunts and uncles out of there and to our house in FL.

Good luck to everyone.

sk8rgrlzzz
Unregistered

#52857 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:19 AM

any info on the algeirs part of new orleans, in orleans parish?i guess its a couple of miles from downtown. and basically on gen. degalle.. (not exacally but close) i live there but i evacuated. but my dad..he stayed.. hope hes alright. if u can ..can u email any info u come upon??plz.. if u do. i really appriciated and god bless.
email: talise09@hotmail.com

gaffersgal
Unregistered

Kenner [Re: oudevil]
      #52935 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:43 AM

I have a friend who lives in Kenner, any information on that area would be appreciated. I live in California and am very, very worried about him and his family. Please, please post with any information to ease my mind. Thoughts and prayers are with all who are affected.

DIRAPAZ
Unregistered

#52938 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:59 AM

NOT SURE EXACTING WHERE YOU LIVE, BUT I SPOKE TO MY DAD WHO IS STILL IN THE CITY, HE SAYS THE MID-CITY AREA IS GONE. COMPLETELY FLOODED. HE SPOKE TO A PERSON TRYING TO GET TO THAT AREA, AND ALMOST DROWNED TRYING TO GET THERE. IT DOESN'T SOUND TOO GOOD FOR US.
PEOPLE THAT ARE STILL IN DOWNTOWN HOTELS ARE BEING BUSSED TO SHERATON-BATON ROUGE.
PEOPLE IN SUPERDOME ARE GOING TO HOUSTON-ASTRODOME.
MY DAD SAID THERE IS NOTHING TO COME HOME TO. SORRY. GOOD LUCK, MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
      #52944 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have information regarding Orleans Parrish Northeast of Downtown New Orleans? My house is about 2 miles south of I 10 NE of downtown. I have been watching the news but have not heard anything. Any numbers I can call?

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the reports, but our local station here in Mobile just reported that the water is still rising and is now all the way up to I 10. It doesn't sound good if you are 2 miles south of that.
God Bless !!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6937

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center