F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Magic Hat
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Lucedale, MS
Re: Levees [Re: Takingforever]
      #53046 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:45 PM

Hi, Everyone!
WE SURVIVED!!!
I don't know how hight the winds got in Lucedale, MS, but we lost one small crabapple, both big oaks are thinner, but still standing. House took the wind like a champ. We didn't have either camper tied down and they were fine. now, just outside our property line, trees are down, roofs are gone, mobile homes are off their supports or destroyed. We have some rain damage in the kitchen/dining room. That's all. Power and phones are out, but we have propane and relatives have water.
We're in AL now looking for food and diapers for the kids. Locals have cleared one road so we can get our big rig out. I expect the power will be out up to a month because we're down a dead end road. We're getting the kids set up and then we're going back to work, hopefully delivering needed supplies back to the disaster area.
All we can do is praise our Lord for protecting us.
God be with all,
Lu

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged: Wed
if the levees hadn't been built? [Re: trinibaje]
      #53047 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:45 PM

interesting post from the news....

Vulnerable city
Experts have warned about New Orleans’ vulnerability for years, chiefly because Louisiana has lost more than a million acres of coastal wetlands in the past seven decades. The vast patchwork of swamps and bayous south of the city serves as a buffer, partially absorbing the surge of water that a hurricane pushes ashore.

Experts have also warned that the ring of high levees around New Orleans, designed to protect the city from floodwaters coming down the Mississippi, will only make things worse in a powerful hurricane. Katrina is expected to push a 28-foot storm surge against the levees. Even if they hold, water will pour over their tops and begin filling the city as if it were a sinking canoe.

After the storm passes, the water will have nowhere to go.

In a few days, van Heerden predicts, emergency management officials are going to be wondering how to handle a giant stagnant pond contaminated with building debris, coffins, sewage and other hazardous materials.

“We’re talking about an incredible environmental disaster,” van Heerden said.

He puts much of the blame for New Orleans’ dire situation on the very levee system that is designed to protect southern Louisiana from Mississippi River floods.

Before the levees were built, the river would top its banks during floods and wash through a maze of bayous and swamps, dropping fine-grained silt that nourished plants and kept the land just above sea level.

The levees “have literally starved our wetlands to death” by directing all of that precious silt out into the Gulf of Mexico, van Heerden said.

It has been 40 years since New Orleans faced a hurricane even comparable to Katrina. In 1965, Hurricane Betsy, a Category 3 storm, submerged some parts of the city to a depth of seven feet.

Since then, the Big Easy has had nothing but near misses. In 1998, Hurricane Georges headed straight for New Orleans, then swerved at the last minute to strike Mississippi and Alabama. Hurricane Lili blew herself out at the mouth of the Mississippi in 2002. And last year’s Hurricane Ivan obligingly curved to the east as it came ashore, barely grazing a grateful city.

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Bryan, TX
      #53048 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:45 PM

I was thinking that just this morning about Oil Storm. Freaky and devastating if things work out like that. Personally, I don't know how my wife and I could handle gas at rates as how as they are forcasting. We already limit our consumption but it's taking a huge bite out of our budget. I just wish I had better forseen such a hike before we went out and financed some new furniture and the like.

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Rick [Re: trinibaje]
      #53049 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

I am so busy at work and still don't have any cable TV or any type of TV at home from our brush with Katrina... so i apologize if this has been addressed but has anyone heard from Rick on the boat???? I know there are other posters who are missing, how about them.

Thanks for the update... my heart is heavy

Rick was posting earlier today. I can't remember exactly what he said but the important message is that he is okay.

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: if the levees hadn't been built? [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #53051 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:48 PM

Oh good Rick you are safe and posting.... you have been in my thoughts.. glad to know you are ok...

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Re: if the levees hadn't been built? [Re: trinibaje]
      #53052 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:50 PM

I went back and copied Rick's first post from this morning. I've attached it here:

"Back at work today....

Dodged a bullet. This was an unbelievable storm...you can't imagine....have to see the news...and it's worse than that...gas lines here...power out in most places. But power is being restored.

All the coast of Mississippi has been wiped clean......completely....
Dauphin Island, south of me 20 miles....lost 90% of their homes
My boat is inland about 15 miles. Sustained bridge damage, popped the radar off, and broke my steering wheel topside. No big deal. Boat did well...the storm surge jammed the boat into the roof....

but across the river....heavy devastation. Turner Marine....lost almost ALL of their sailboats...piled on top of one another...(those that weren't thrown up river 2-3 miles...)

but Mobile, all in all had less wind damage than Ivan...but the storm surge was somewhere in the 20' range...and downtown Mobile had water ...but not like New Orleans...not close.

Probably hundreds of thousands of boats,....gone.

Had that storm kicked right just 50 miles...and the story would be a little different.

New Orleans will NEVER be the same....period...

Entire coast of Mississippi...all the beautiful Antebellum homes....GONE....
just sad......depressing...and the part that hurts are the lives lost. NO REASON to stay...some lady in the gas line yesterday...told me her parents called from Gulf Port....(they were about 4 blocks from the beach) and they were scared and crying..because they were in ankle deep water.....and it was rising....this was 4-5 hours BEFORE the storm hit...and they said..."we can't leave now...it's too late"....

she was wondering what happened to them...I didn't say a word. but a wall of water 30' was on the way...and she couldn't imagine that...and I wasn't gonna tell her....

WHY would people stay?...I can't understand that...

they won't now.

anyhow...I'm out of words...but the storm I knew was coming one day..the one we ALL knew was coming....came.

there will be more of them...and we have to build smarter...and wiser. "

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Downtown Beaufort Marina, SC
New Orleans is a Tough town [Re: VandyBrad]
      #53054 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:57 PM

I just found out that one of my favorite restaurants (and one of my bars) is STILL OPEN!

Truly amazing, the French Quarter is.

The Oceana Grill (a seafood place...amazing food) is still serving up warm beer and gumbo and BBQ shrimp. Apparently they survived, and are cooking on gas griils. Johnny White's (NEVER closes) is still apparently open as well, and selling their goods for LESS than they used to.

That is why I love N'ahlins so much.

Story here: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050831/lf_afp/usweatherfood_050831004814

Wow.

Thought I'd chuck in some positive news, since much of what we're seeing/hearing/reading is so negative.

/Anton
//Hungry for good gumbo now

--------------------
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
-Albert Einstein

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Re: New Orleans is a Tough town [Re: Anton Ross]
      #53055 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:05 PM

Speaking of fuel supply issues... I'm watching the local NBC news out of Orlando and Orange county announced this afternoon that they will no longer provide bus transportation for field trips, sports teams and other extracurricular activities until next week or longer. Furthermore, they are saying that unless deliveries of fuel resume soon, they will cancel all bus services to get kids to and from school as early as Friday. As it stands, they are only guaranteeing transportation for tomorrow at this point.

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

Takingforever
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Re: New Orleans is a Tough town [Re: Anton Ross]
      #53056 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:06 PM

So no wonder the french quarter is on fire....People need gumbo.

Just looking at CNN, many are talking about how Ivan and Dennis and Francis and Jannie and even Charley all had things to normal in a matter of days, this storm aftermath will take months.

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Re: New Orleans is a Tough town [Re: Takingforever]
      #53059 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:18 PM

Also... Seminole and Volusia county governments plan to ration gas to their governmental vehicles. No driving for training purposes and no driving for work that can be put off until a later time. Source: WESH.

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

bamffl
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: New Orleans is a Tough town [Re: VandyBrad]
      #53062 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:39 PM

Mods, I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I just got the following from my cousin. He was in Mobile Bay and is okay, but his buddy (listed at the end of the email) lost several friends and employees, in addition to his home, business and marina. They are turning right around though, and going in to help with the recovery efforts (FEMA approved.)

Here's his email, but his phone call went into a *whole* lot more detail...

Quote:

To anyone with access to a sea worthy boat.

There is an crucial need for access to a 25 to 36 foot center console boat with twin engines and large fuel capacity to be used by a credentialed search and rescue team that will run from any departure site from Perdido key to Mobile bay to be used for recovery and delivery of life saving goods to southern Plaquemines parish LA.

Our ability to communicate with FEMA and local officials has been severed by destruction of infrastructure and an inability to access the area via land routes.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Darren Angelo - Please contact and leave a message if the call goes to voice mail at 251-895-1403.

Edit:
BTW, feel free to PM to verify the validity and sincerity of this effort.

--------------------
You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices...

Edited by bamffl (Wed Aug 31 2005 08:22 PM)

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
PM FROM FRANK P. [Re: bamffl]
      #53064 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:44 PM

Good god...i just got this PM from Frank P. The GOOD news is he's alive:

"Phil, hey big guy I'm alive and shell shocked in Nashville... very busy at the moment planning strategy and actions we need to do next to help our family members as well as to get our lives back in order... living in Biloxi was inimaginable to say the least and had to get the hell out of town... but I felt that I need to get something in writing to you as soon as I had access to tell you personally that the wife and I and two bassets are doing OK... Javlin is OK too, he came buy my house yesterday and both of us had a nice discussion on my concrete slab... all the ceramic tiles still there but thats all... I could not find any identifiable piece of my house in the rubble about 50 yards north of my house... but two OAK trees are OK, however, one tree has debris marks about 8 feet up... that's 28 feet of surge minimum.... maybe more...

again thanks to all for their concern and prayers and will answer their emails later in the week..... the gulf coast despirately needs help

your friend and refugee suvivor

Frank P "

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Levees [Re: Magic Hat]
      #53065 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:46 PM

To: Magic Hat...Good to hear from yet another who was in harm's way..

Welcome back to the boards... and glad to hear that you weren't hit as hard..

Good news about Frank P... send him my best..

Bless you for your efforts on behalf of those who need help..

Edited by StormKrone (Wed Aug 31 2005 06:49 PM)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
      #53068 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:13 PM

Quote:

Two day freeze? No, but from what is happening ,the Eastern Oil pipe line is closed

The pipelines are undamaged according to reports in the financial press but the owners of one of them, Kinder Morgan (full disclosure--I'm an investor in KMP) say they are simply waiting for power to be restored to the pumping stations necessary to pump gasoline through the line.

Rad
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
Re: PM FROM FRANK P. [Re: LI Phil]
      #53070 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:31 PM

Thank goodness your allright Frank , & family , Anybody heard from Steve in Metarie ?

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: PM FROM FRANK P. [Re: Rad]
      #53071 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:34 PM

Quote:

Thank goodness your allright Frank , & family , Anybody heard from Steve in Metarie ?

Steve posted yesterday on S2K. Thankfully he survived.

But his house and the houses of everyone in his entire family are destroyed.

Last I heard there was no word from Danny though.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: PM FROM FRANK P. [Re: Rad]
      #53072 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:34 PM

Quote:

he hasn't posted here, but someone referenced a post from him from another board ... so, i think he's OK

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

BobVee
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Florida
Re: Levees [Re: VandyBrad]
      #53080 - Wed Aug 31 2005 08:07 PM

I have been out several times in Central Florida today and have not seen any really large lines. One thing, Superintendent of Orange County Schools announced that the school district had enough fuel for school busses through Friday. Cancelled all field trips, and other trips. Stated that the fuel expected today from supplier was cancelled and if they do not get the one expected tomorrow parents will have to transport kids to school. Other school districts around including Polk and Hillsbourough are in the same situation. It will probably get worse before it gets better. We have just the very tiny tip of the economic iceberg at this time.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Levees [Re: BobVee]
      #53082 - Wed Aug 31 2005 08:18 PM

The impact of this storm will definitly reach all the way across our country, most people didn't comprehend what the full impact of a cat 4 hurricane hitting NO and the Gulf coast would be. Although we all will feel the impact economically it is nothing IMO to what those poor people in NO, and the Gulf Coast are dealing with. These people have lost loved ones, their homes, and everything they own, I for one will not complain if I have to pay more for gas, or higher prices for goods, that is nothing compaired to what those victims have to deal with and last year it could have very well have been any of us here in Florida. My heart aches for everyone along the Gulf

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Levees [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #53085 - Wed Aug 31 2005 08:25 PM

Here in Orlando, every gas station I passed on the way home from work had long lines. I don't know if we had a gas shortage before, but we do now. I think the word that about the school district panicked people into thinking automotive fuel would be in short supply. My guess is that the situation has been exacerbated by the panic.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 47026

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center