F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #53414 - Thu Sep 01 2005 09:40 PM

Well the main thing is that we don't see it hitting LA or MS.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Margie]
      #53417 - Thu Sep 01 2005 09:44 PM

Franklin Graham on FNC right now said the same thing I did earlier...round these able bodied men up & put them to work cleaning & helping...they do it overseas in situations such as this...food for work...why not now..especiallly now...the man power is needed & it will certainly help them & their families get back on their feet sooner.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Margie]
      #53419 - Thu Sep 01 2005 09:48 PM

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Director Brown either. How could the man in charge of the recue and recovery efforts NOT know about the second largest shelter in the city? It's not like they had huge shelters all over the place. With all of the flyovers during the past few days... I'm pretty certain somebody had to have seen the people. It's kind of hard to hide 20,000 folks. I'm not sure I believe the man. But if he was telling the truth and the FEMA organization did not know about this until today... 3 days after the storm... that is a sad statement of the entire rescue and recovery efforts. I'd almost rather he be lying to me than have it be the latter.

I hope that the authorities exercise due dilegence before letting people back in the city. The whole city is should qualify as a superfund site. If they let people back in too soon, before they have had time to clean it up properly, the health effects could likely last generations. Contamination will be hidden everywhere.

Edited by Big Red Machine (Thu Sep 01 2005 09:56 PM)

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #53420 - Thu Sep 01 2005 09:53 PM

Ok the TS looks like a fish the TD looks like a fish but 92l what is the long range sotry right now with this? we know from the past till it becomes a strom the models don't pick the track up well but what is the 10 dasy showing right now? GOM or below or easy coast or fish? all i see right now is the Islands.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: ralphfl]
      #53422 - Thu Sep 01 2005 09:56 PM

I'd like to post once more time for those who missed it earlier, a few of the many studies of a hurricane and the city of New Orleans. This is why I'm so upset by New Orleans, Louisiana, and Federal officials.

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/wetlands/hurricane_print.html

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf?/washingaway/thebigone_1.html

http://hurricane.lsu.edu/_newsbriefs/hefmtg.html

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BJK/is_15_11/ai_68642805/pg_

This was supposedly our "A-1" priority for natural disaster planning. They did a mock of it last year and planned for it the year before!! This isn't 9-11 where it came as a complete surprise... we've had YEARS to plan...

Edited by Big Red Machine (Thu Sep 01 2005 09:58 PM)

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: ralphfl]
      #53423 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:00 PM

I am wondering what the long range forecast is on 92L is also. Anyone have any ideas on what may be happening with this system?
Any chance it could get into the Gulf? We have evacuees from Katrina here at our Ford Center and kids attending our schools.
Evacuees are in Houston and San Antonio. I hope all the states will do what they can to help these people. This is a national disaster.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #53426 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:09 PM

Not really a lot of talk on here about coming storms people want to just talk about what we see on tv each Min of the day.We know its a bad situation and the people need water and food the mayor is a dummy (better for lack of words) but everything that keeps being said is on tv 24 Hr's a day when there are 2 storms right now and a 3rd that looks bad on the 5 day that people want to know about.Yet we can't get any info on that.Other then the gdfl 5 day.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #53427 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:12 PM

I come to this board for lots of reasons and I realize others have theirs as well, but just want to say while I understand how it may feel good to vent, what happens for me as a reader is that it really brings me down, when I am coming here for some perspective and breathing room.

I don't mean any post in particular or tonight in particular, but the last couple days have been hard on all of us, and this has been reflected in the board, with angry posts spinning things up faster than an August hurricane in the loop current (I just love how truly hoaky that sounds).

We all wish we could do something about the situation; anything except having to sit and watch it play out. But if the board continues this way, I suspect we may possibly be without a board. The mods are more stressed out than us, because they have to deal with us! So give them a break.

As for my posts, I am sorry that I cannot focus at all on any new storms or invests. I'm still trying to get rid of the personal demons brought on by Katrina guilt. But I'm happy for those that do want to, and hope they don't mind my posts in return.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

ralphfl
Weather Master

Re: Don't Look Now...But [Re: LI Phil]
      #53429 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:14 PM

From that GDFL it looks like a low maybe off the east coast at that time guess too early to tell but looks like more of a east coast US thing then a GOM to me.

Edited by ralphfl (Thu Sep 01 2005 10:30 PM)

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Don't Look Now...But [Re: ralphfl]
      #53435 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:41 PM

Yeah, a little venting is good, this is bordering on obsession

To that note, the man very well may not have seen a TV in many days. If you're knee deep in this stuff 18 hours a day, would YOU turn on a TV when you had a chance to take a breather?

/rhetorical question only

What's the comment from a few days before Kat hit Cat 5? When the models tend to see a strengthening storm they don't necessarily get a handle on anything other than the fact that it's going to get big?

Please God, let 92L spin the fishes. Pretty please?

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
NEW THREAD [Re: tpratch]
      #53437 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:45 PM

MIKE PUT UP A NEW THREAD...please post all replies there...thanks

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22032

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center