F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land
      #53287 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:04 PM

Tropical Depression #14 has formed in the east Atlantic, and likely to be another fish spinner and head out to sea.

We're also tracking another wave in the Atlantic, 92L is the next up that will need to be watched as it moves westward. A full synopsis of TD 14, TD Lee, and 92L can be found in Clark Evans' blog entry below, from HF in this thread, and from the thoughts of others on the Storm Forum.

Dr William Gray has updated his predictions, but leaves the numbers unchanged. See This link for the report.

The situation in Louisana, Mississippi, and Alabama continues to come to light, discussion on this is allowed here, but please use the disaster forum for information about specific areas. You do not have to register to post in the disaster forum.

Discussion of other issues relating to Katrina (outside of the immediately affected area) like gas prices, the crazy gas lines, etc can be found here.

Event Related Links
General Links
Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Graphic showing elevations of New Orleans
Emergency Management/County info
Gulf Coast Storm Alert Network
FloridaDisaster.org - Florida Emergency Management
Mississippi Emer. Management
State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org
Louisiana Emergency Management

Video/Audio Links
NOAA Weather Radio out of New Orleans
Hurricane City - Live Audio and Video
HurricaneTrack/Mark Sudduth HIRT Team
Police scanner stream from New Orleans

Television/Radio
WWL TV 4 (CBS Affiliate in New Orleans) - KHOU is streaming WWL TV as well HERE
ABC 26 TV (ABC Affiliate in New Orleans)
WDSU Channel 6 (NBC Affiliate New Orleans)
Fox 8 (New Orleans)
WTIX 690 News Radio
WWL 870 News Radio
WTOK 11 / Missippii Alabama ABC Affiliate -- Jason Kelly is assisting Operations Here
Hurricane Now - Video reports from former CNN hurrican reporter Jeff Flock
Weathervine.com
Joseph Johnston's Mobile Bay Webcam
WKRG 5 in Mobile/Pensacola
WPMI Channel 15 from Mobile

Other
NOLA - Everything New Orleans
South Mississippi Sun Herald
Al.com - everything Alabama - Katrina Photos
AP and Reuters Photos from Katrina areas (Continually updated)
A few employees of DirectNic in the a Data Center still working on a diesel generator in central Business district are feeding out updates from downtown.
Continual News update text from WWLTV In New Orleans - alt link
-- Looking for more Video/Audio links for the approach areas, please let us know if you have any links/information!

Lee

Animated model plots of T.S. Lee

TD#14

Animated model plots of TD#14

Invest 92L

Edited by Clark (Thu Sep 01 2005 07:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: MikeC]
      #53294 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:28 PM

CNN just had some video of scores of people yelling "F___ RAY. F____ RAY." That's the mayor. Who could not be elected dogcatcher now.

Every single national/state/city leader has failed. Only the Coast Guard is spared from that assessment, those heroic men and women have had a superhuman performance.This disaster should not be a suprise... we've known EXACTLY what would happenin this scenario for years. This is probably the most talked about disaster scenario in the country. The storm did not make a sudden turn, the forecast was terrific. Other than the NHC and the US Coast Guard, no one is exempt from criticism.

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: MikeC]
      #53296 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:46 PM

Is there anything to the convection starting to pop NE of the Bahamas? How are pressures in that area?

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Fletch]
      #53298 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:50 PM

The majority of the models...although I haven't checked since early this a.m. again...show something popping up on the Fl east coast by Sun...the CMC has it go east a bit, shoot north, then come back around to the west as what looks to be a decent storm...the others have into Fl quicker...certainly bears wtaching this weekend.

zmdz01
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: twizted sizter]
      #53301 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:58 PM

I had posted this in the other forum, I thought you would like to take a look at the storm surge.

Everyone,

Here is a link for some video that our local NBC affiliate has of Katrina in Gulfport, MS. It is amazing raw footage. Notice how the brake lights on the floating car comes on? Probably means that someone is still inside the vehicle or the wiring shorted out (probably the later).

http://nbc4la.feedroom.com/index.jsp?fr_story=c989c514a12c6dc1725e355acc966f2d781e48dd

Edited by zmdz01 (Thu Sep 01 2005 01:58 PM)

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Fletch]
      #53303 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:02 PM

Been watching that, too. Note the concentrated flare-up on the last frame. Maybe this is the storm being predicted by the models:
http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_05/anis.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: twizted sizter]
      #53304 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:04 PM

Can you please post a link to that? I cannot find anything in my usual places. Thank you.

Never mind....Ed in VA is apparently a mind reader!

Edited by native (Thu Sep 01 2005 02:06 PM)

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: zmdz01]
      #53305 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:09 PM

Wow...that was an amazing video..can't tell me those guys didn't drop something in their drawers either.

Native...http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgengifs/

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Ed in Va]
      #53307 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:16 PM

There appears to be a weak low pressure around 30N 65W, I think there's some sort of ULL to the south and west of it where most of the convection is.

if anything is going to develop, it's going to be pretty durn slow....

-Mark

I'm more curious to see how long it takes for 92L to develop... it's got some unflagged 45Kt winds, but the lowpressure looks elongated....

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

#53310 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:20 PM

Amazing video! WOW.

Did anyone see the snow job that FEMA Director Chertoff did at his news conference? What he said does not mesh with what the video and eye witness accounts at the city show. "We are bringing in thousands and thousands of gallons of water for the survivors." Not according to the thousands at the Convention Center (where three people were murdered last night and several were raped). I realize that public officials must keep morale up, but it is clear (from viewing the video, hearing the people, and listening to the streaming police and fire scanners), and will be made clear when it is revealed how many died of thirst/hunger/lack of security, etc. that Chertoff was completely out of touch with the reality of the situation.

The mayor of New Orleans just sent out "a desperate S.O.S." Sure Director Chertoff.... I believe you. What a farce of a press conference.

Edited by Big Red Machine (Thu Sep 01 2005 02:34 PM)

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #53313 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:34 PM

Florida has 3800 forces on the ground in the bottom six counties of Ms---our designated area of operations. Out team has saved hundreds. Literlally.

We have not failed...we are the only ones on the ground there, since Monday night, beginning.

In LA--yes, I agree.

MM

Edited by MapMaster (Thu Sep 01 2005 02:36 PM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: MapMaster]
      #53314 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:42 PM

Just got an e-mail with some incredible photos of the rail yards in New Orleans:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/274104

Also, if you're looking for sat photos, there are links galore over at Google Earth's BBS:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/currentEvents

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Bloodstar]
      #53315 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:45 PM

Here is the afternoon discussion from the Charleston, SC, NWS office. Looks like there is a lot of uncertainty about how all this will be resolved:

MODELS BEGIN TO DIVERGE A BIT IN
THE LATE TUE THROUGH THU TIME FRAME...WITH THE 00/12Z GFS INDICATING
A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP IN THE BAHAMAS AND TRACK
EASTWARD INTO FL AND EVENTUALLY THE GOMEX. MEANWHILE...THE 00Z ECMWF
AND 00/12Z CANADIAN MODELS SUGGEST A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE WILL LIFT
NORTHWARD OFF THE CAROLINA COAST TUE NIGHT AND WED. ALL MODELS
INDICATING H5 TROUGHING TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE SE CONUS DURING THE
MIDDLE OF THE UPCOMING WORK WEEK...SO WILL GO WITH A BLEND OF THE
ECMWF AND CANADIAN MODELS WHICH SEEM MORE REASONABLE IN HANDLING OF
DEVELOPING WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE BAHAMAS.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Random Chaos]
      #53316 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:48 PM

They've got those Google Earth images all over local coverage here. I don't remember (translation: I'm too lazy to look) which board members were wondering where the "Hollywood" types were/are:

music.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=200397

Good to see that word is getting out loud and clear that this is a tragedy of epic proportions.

By the by...the article does not mention the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon only accepting for Katrina relief the first and last 4 hours as the local radio station WRMF had stated on air this morning. That's good!

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: MapMaster]
      #53317 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:51 PM

Your absolutely correct. Not everyone has failed. Yes, there has been mistakes but this is uncharted territory. Even with tons of planning it would be a total mess. I've been watching footage for the last 30 minutes of blackhawk chopper after chopper bringing in injured. I think they would be rather offended to be called failures. Lots of people need water and food. It would be a heck of a lot easier to get to them if we weren't shot at.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: emackl]
      #53318 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:55 PM

Quote:

Your absolutely correct. Not everyone has failed. Yes, there has been mistakes but this is uncharted territory. Even with tons of planning it would be a total mess. I've been watching footage for the last 30 minutes of blackhawk chopper after chopper bringing in injured. I think they would be rather offended to be called failures. Lots of people need water and food. It would be a heck of a lot easier to get to them if we weren't shot at.

I completely agree. As I said in my earlier post, the only ones I called failures were the city/state/national leaders .(I made no mention of those working in the areas, only the "brains at the very top") The rescue workers themselves have performed above and beyond the call of duty... these men and women are heroes. My post specifically is talking about the catastrophic situation in New Orleans, not about any other area affected by Katrina. The effects of the storm should come as no suprise to anyone, the effects of a hurricane on the city has been studied perhaps more than any other disaster scenario for YEARS. (And when it comes to state leaders I refer only to Louisiana. Unlike officials in LA, the governors of Texas, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi have done an amazing job.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #53319 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:58 PM

Quote:

Not according to the thousands at the Convention Center (where three people were murdered last night and several were raped). I realize that public officials must keep morale up, but it is clear (from viewing the video, hearing the people, and listening to the streaming police and fire scanners), and will be made clear when it is revealed how many died of thirst/hunger/lack of security, etc. that Chertoff was completely out of touch with the reality of the situation.

Do you have a source for the above comments of murder and rape?

I'm sure that Chertoff knows better than us what is going on inside the Superdome. What is he supposed to say? "People are dying left and right and we can't do anything about it?"

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: StormHound]
      #53320 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:00 PM

Yes. A CNN reporter at the convention center a little while ago said that multiple people came up to him and told him "how much worse it was at night." He said they told him that at least three people were murdered and there were several rapes. (He specifically mentioned this as fact, that not just one person had told him this, but many)

No he should not say that, because welll... they CAN do something about it. He should be honest with the public, and tell them how dire the situation is.

When the Mayor of New Orleans makes a statement a few moments after the press conference issuing, "a critical SOS..." we know that things are bad.

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Miami NWS's take on trough near Bahamas [Re: Ed in Va]
      #53321 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:02 PM

Regarding the complex setup in the Western Atlantic (which HF discussed in some detail this morning), this is from the 243 pm EDT Miami National Weather Service discussion:

"THE GFS DEVELOPS A LOW ON THE FRONT NE OF THE GRAND
BAHAMA ISLAND AND MOVES SOUTH AND THEN SOUTHWEST AND THEN THROUGH
THE EXTREME SOUTH PART OF THE FLORIDA PENINSULA MONDAY AFTERNOON
AND THEN WEST INTO THE EASTERN GULF. THE NAM IS SLOWER WITH THIS
LOW AND SOMEWHAT DEEPER. THIS SITUATION BEARS WATCHING. BELIEVE
ATTM THIS LOW MAY NOT BECOME TROPICAL AND WILL BE JUST A LOW ALONG
THE FRONTAL TROUGH. "

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Cape Coral, FL
      #53322 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:04 PM

Just read a recent online article which said Tex Gov Perry has agreed to house an additional 25,000 people in San Antonio. Report didn't mention a location but the only place capable of handling that many people is the Alamodome. Another big hand from a big state with an even bigger heart.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 472 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22034

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center