F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Todays activity [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #53932 - Tue Sep 06 2005 07:05 PM

is there any chance that TD#16..aka-Ophelia could strengthen into a hurricane before hitting florida?

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Todays activity [Re: Ryan]
      #53933 - Tue Sep 06 2005 07:10 PM

Quote:

is there any chance that TD#16..aka-Ophelia could strengthen into a hurricane before hitting florida?

Yep...it "could" but it isn't likely.

The model graphic shows 2 models bringing it to minimal Hurricane strength before landfall. http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/intensity1.png

But on the other hand, look at the HUGE model divergence on track! Nearly 180 degree divergence!
http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png

==========

EDIT:
Has the NHC decided on a new time system than the 24 hour standard day? We've got a 50 PM sitting over on the main page for TD 16! In case NHC realizes their mistake and takes it down, I took the liberty of screenshoting it: http://www.vorklift.com/50pm.png

Edited by Random Chaos (Tue Sep 06 2005 07:58 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Todays activity [Re: Random Chaos]
      #53934 - Tue Sep 06 2005 07:22 PM

Quote:

But on the other hand, look at the HUGE model divergence on track! Nearly 180 degree divergence!

I don't like the BAMS or the GFDI models. Is the GFDI the same as the GFDL? It looks the same. I hate it

I'm afraid we may be looking at TD16 for several days off the FL coast. Eventually it will likely strengthen.

Update: It DOES like (on IR imagery) like it's moving NNW now...

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Tue Sep 06 2005 07:25 PM)

crpeavley
Weather Watcher

Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #53937 - Tue Sep 06 2005 08:01 PM

The 12Z and 18Z GFS runs are noteworthy...

GFS

These runs would be of particular interest to N. Fla and S. Georgia early next week.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: disneyfanfl]
      #53938 - Tue Sep 06 2005 08:26 PM

Dvorak numbers for the system are a bit up, and it's drifting slightly to the north now. It's going to hold depression status tonight I think, but will make a tropical storm Tomorrow.

I'm still not sold on a track yet, I'm hoping it'll move more north and east away from land.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: Jekyhe904]
      #53941 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:19 PM

Ole Tim Degan, is he still surfing? Have not lived up in JAX for almost eight years, still visit; but I have to admit that i have always been a George Winterling guy. Use to sit behind him at Florida State football games. Always knew if I had the right weather gear when he walked in. I'm guessing George is pretty retired by now. May have to see when I head up for the Jags game this weekend, assuming Degan is wrong. I am not sure I can see a system shooting in there. It just never happens at that angle from that direction. I am personally thinking the GFDL solution is a little closer to the target area. Not convinced that it does not turn out either, though. I just really have trouble seeing a hit in NE Florida on this storm.

--------------------
Jim

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: Rasvar]
      #53943 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:29 PM

I just went to the NWS radar out of Miami and the long Range out of Melbourn. There seems either to be an outage or very little precipitation from this storm. Does anyone know why it is so scarce? Is the storm falling apart(maybe?)

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: Rasvar]
      #53944 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:40 PM

I am going to be keeping a close eye on this storm for various reasons:
1) We are leaving on the autotrain out of Sanford on Thursday to go to D.C. I don't know what trains do when there is a TS or TD just off the coast. Anyone know?
2) My mother and my f-i-l will be here watching the kids for a week. The last thing they need to deal with is a problem storm, but I think I'm far enough to the west that it will be just a rain event.
3) We are taking one car and 5 motorcycles back from D.C. through NC, GA, and Florida. I sure hope this doesn't end up in the mountains. Argh! At this point, between glitches with the trip, a storm sitting off the EC of Florida and other things, I'm beginning to wonder if someone's trying to tell me something! Maybe I should not BE in D.C. on 9/11.

Someone can tell me to take a deep breath at anytime. Please. My nerves are shot.

I did hear Dr. Steve Lyons at 9:15pm or so say it's "drifting" to the NNW. Please keep going N....follow Nate and Maria!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish florida
      #53945 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:41 PM

Rasvar, can you please tell me what GFDL solution is? When I click on the link and go to potential vorticity I get a big red x. Thanks in advance!

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #53946 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:47 PM

Nate's up to 3.5 Dvorak rating from SSD. That's barely under hurricane strength. I'd expect it to stay a TS tonight and strengthen to a Hurricane by morning. GFDL is bringing him to a Category 3 within 3-4 days. That might be excessive...but then look at what Maria did. At least he looks like he'll stay out to sea.

As for 94L, it's Dvorak is also up, from 2.0 to 2.5. It's getting close to TS if it isn't already. We're not going to get another recon tonight so I doubt they will upgrade her to Ophelia yet. I don't trust any model that dissapates this system...so the GFDL track is out in my mind. It did the same thing with Katrina at times...dissipated her...and look what she did. I'm more inclined to go with the global models...CMC...GFS...NOGAPS...which all take 16 north along the coast and slowly strengthen her, bringing her into land somewhere between mid-Florida and the Outer Banks. Unfortunately the global models aren't good for intensity, and I've noticed that SHIPS has been running weak on intensity this year. My "guess" is that we'll have a Cat 1 hurricane out of Ophelia...but nothing more. Let's see how the models change now that we have a TD rather than a blob.

========

Weatherwatcher: GFDL is taking 16 SW then W, dissipating her before she reaches the coast of FL. Take a look at the "Late" products here for GFDL track: http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/ -- I don't know what's up with PSU's and FSU's TCGenisis sites...they seem to be broken a lot of the time this season.

--RC

Edited by Random Chaos (Tue Sep 06 2005 09:49 PM)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #53947 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:53 PM

For what its worth, the GFDL I saw brings the storm a little north and then slowly brings it across the state as a Tropical storm. Entering around Jupiter and exiting south of Tampa area. Near Sarasota. Then brings it into the Gulf. Not sure it will be as far south as the model has it. Maybe north of Orlando shooting across. not really easy to tell. Just hope the GFDL has the intensity right. I do not want another hurricane anywhere near anyone right now.

--------------------
Jim

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
      #53948 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:55 PM

Is it possible this depression could get into the Gulf? Also, what is that showing up on satellite in the gulf?

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: Random Chaos]
      #53949 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:56 PM

It's not the pages that are broken or bad, it's the GFDL output. The fine-mesh grids are only available for a subset of variables nowadays, not the full suite that used to be available. Sea level pressure is the main one and it always works; potential vorticity is usually not available or calculated. Note that the sites are only current to the data they get in, usually an issue on the national centers' side and not FSU/PSU.

There's nothing wrong with the radar imagery from Melbourne/Miami, either. The storm is far enough away from Miami's radar that the radar beam is overshooting most of the precipitation and not picking up on the low-level banding features quite as well. The Melbourne radar shows the structure better. Remember that this isn't a Katrina-like deep storm that will always show up well on radar; it's a weak storm that won't show up that well on radar due to the limitations Ed mentioned earlier today.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: Random Chaos]
      #53950 - Tue Sep 06 2005 09:58 PM

Thank You Randon Chaos! Its nice having all you pros here on this board! Your posts are very helpful. Thanks again..

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #53951 - Tue Sep 06 2005 10:07 PM

0000utc early runs on TD16

Early-cycle intensity guidance
http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/intensity1.png

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Sep 06 2005 10:09 PM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

#53953 - Tue Sep 06 2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

Thank You Randon Chaos! Its nice having all you pros here on this board! Your posts are very helpful. Thanks again..

I don't consider myself a pro - I just absorb what I learn/read. I've only been tracking tropical storms for about 3 years (though a physics degree helps...as does a strong background in math and a much longer term interest in weather and other dynamical natural systems).

Re Storm Hunter: That track guidence is nuts. I can't tell where anything goes until about 3-4 days out!

Clark: As for the GFDL model, it isn't the missing parts that bother me...its the wrong names and such. Yesterday 93L GFDL at PSU was actually the 94L GFDL. 94L GFDL was the pressure part of the Maria GFDL. Maria was the vorticity part of the Maria GFDL. And FSU hadn't updated with any of the last 3 model runs for some reason. Is the data going onto NECP's FTP servers that erratic? Or is something else going on? Especially becuase the spagetti plot I link to at Colorado State has the latest runs of the GFDL track even though I can't always find the pressure model working anywhere. Really odd...

(I hate to take up a post this way...but it's been slow around here the last week...so I hope the mods don't mind )

Edited by Random Chaos (Tue Sep 06 2005 10:20 PM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

#53954 - Tue Sep 06 2005 10:29 PM

yeah i notice the cluster....but what i get from first look at those runs..... looks like the drift to the nnw is going to be much slower and that to me means a little stronger now.... maybe a strong TS or cat 1.... but those were just on 0000 utc spt 7 runs... have to see what next ones show.... i bet the 10pm adv. tonight will have a much larger "CONE" in forecast......and much slower track........ will see in few mintues

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #53956 - Tue Sep 06 2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

0000utc early runs on TD16

Early-cycle intensity guidance
http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/intensity1.png

I have a one word response to the model tracks... and it's not suitable for the forum!

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Tropical Storm Warnings Up Titusville to Jupiter Tropical Depression 16 Forms Off Florida Coast [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #53957 - Tue Sep 06 2005 10:33 PM

TROPICAL DEPRESSION SIXTEEN ADVISORY NUMBER 3
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM EDT TUE SEP 06 2005
...TROPICAL DEPRESSION SIXTEEN SLIGHTLY STRONGER AS IT DRIFTS
NORTH-NORTHWESTWARD...NEW TROPICAL STORM WATCH ISSUED...

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN NORTHERN AND CENTRAL FLORIDA....AND THE
SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES COAST SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF
THIS SYSTEM.

REPEATING THE 11 PM EDT POSITION...27.4 N... 78.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 3 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 35 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1008 MB.

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Sep 06 2005 10:35 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #53959 - Tue Sep 06 2005 10:49 PM

Didn't see PSU's output, but FSU's output for the same storms was correct -- I went and checked a few days ago when the issue cropped up. FSU has through the 18Z runs of today's GFDL; the files needed to create the images are not made available until about 3.5hr after the actual time of the model run, with another 30 min-1 hr needed to run through all of the model products and create the images. NCEP did have some data server issues a week or so ago, while FSU had some network issues over the weekend; these temporary problems have been fixed, however.

The actual points for given storms are available much sooner from the NHC (see the Ohio State tropical sever for the text product), but the grids with the data are not. Products like GFDI and GFNI listed on that CSU model plot aren't really "new" runs of the GFDL or GFDN but are early-cycle "interpolated" runs based off of the previous (e.g. 00Z interpolated models use the 18Z model data with interpolation to the 00Z location) model run. The late-cycle guidance, not available until some time after, is the actual true run of the model and what you see on the FSU & PSU sites.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 31780

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center