F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #54028 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:34 AM

Doubt it will ever get as far South as Ft Lauderdale.
It's very unusual for a storm to move that much SW although, it has happened in the past.

I hate to see Ophelia move so slowly which gives it time to get it's act together.

I think a FL/GA area landfall is a good possibility.
Everyone needs to monitor the storm. NHC basicly has said, they're not too sure of it's
ultimate path.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #54029 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:36 AM

Eventually is a long way off, nobody knows what this thing is gonna do tomorrow....

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: GFDL [Re: Random Chaos]
      #54030 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:39 AM

The 06Z GFDL does make Ophelia a cat 2 hurricane once it moves into the Gulf of Mexico, which is the first time with this system that it takes it above tropical depression strength. The forecast track in the 06Z GFDL still has the system approaching an area by 126 hours that REALLY does not need another one of these right now.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: ! [Re: native]
      #54031 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:40 AM

I hope so too. I don't want this thing getting strong.

----

Thunderbird - I just saw that. GFDL Nate on PSU is showing Ophelia instead...while Ophelia is blank. I wish PSU would fix this problem . I find it hard to see how Ophelia will strengthen while overland like the GFDL is forcasting.

Rabbit - GFS is also looping the system. With three global models doing it...and all three reliable models...I think the looping is likely. The question is:

- How close to shore will it be when the looping starts?
- How far south with the looping push it?
- How will the ridge effect the system's strength?

If the system is nearer shore when the looping starts, interaction with shore will weaken the system.

If the system is pushed less southward during the loop (the ridge weakens or doesn't move as fast to the south as GFS is showing), than it will be over land for an extended period of time, probably enough to dissipate it.

If the ridge brings shear over the storm, it doesn't matter how strong Ophelia is, it will weaken. That is what the NHC is thinking now. With a weakening, sheared storm hitting land, the system could mostly dissipate before reaching the gulf.

Let us hope that any one of these cases is true...and Ophelia never makes it to the GOM.

Edited by Random Chaos (Wed Sep 07 2005 11:44 AM)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: ! [Re: native]
      #54032 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:42 AM

Everyone must remember that Katrina came across FLA at a slow pace, and in fact, really didn't lose her vortex while over land, though she did come down to a tropical storm, but as soon as it entered the Gulf, well, we all know the story. What am I saying! Even if the storm does come in on FLA like ervyone hopes before strengthening, what is there to stop her from re-developing in the Gulf if this was the case. Absolutely nothing in her way.

Edited by The Force 2005 (Wed Sep 07 2005 11:42 AM)

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: The Force 2005]
      #54033 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:43 AM

I am interested in the cloudiness associated with an upper-level low and a weak surface low that is in the Gulf.
NHC said development, if any, would be slow to occur. What are the chances for development? I know all eyes are on Ophelia at
the moment but if anyone could give me an explanation of this I would appreciate it.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

#54034 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:48 AM

Quote:

I am interested in the cloudiness associated with an upper-level low and a weak surface low that is in the Gulf. NHC said development, if any, would be slow to occur. What are the chances for development? I know all eyes are on Ophelia at the moment but if anyone could give me an explanation of this I would appreciate it.

Tropical systems develop from lower level lows. For one to develop from an upper level low, that upper level low first has to spawn a lower level low. This is why the chances are low - such spawning isn't common except on very strong upper level systems, and even then it is rare.

abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: apopka
      #54035 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:51 AM

Here's my thoughts.

Looking at the Water Vapor image:
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNatio...mp;prodnav=none

I don't see anything in the United States that would push Ophelia out to sea.

I do see a ridge of high pressure building to the north of the storm, although it is not a very strong ridge.

Based on that, Ophelia will turn slowly to the west in the next 24 hrs, strenghten to a strong cat 1 and come in somewhere between Daytona & Jacksonville, and move slowly across the state, following the bottom of the high pressure.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: abyrd]
      #54036 - Wed Sep 07 2005 11:53 AM

here are my thoughts anyone from SC-FL should watch Ophelia, if she goes up to SC she will have some more time to strenghten, what do people think?

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #54038 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:03 PM

The GFDL is a little off already, so I'm not so sure much to put stock in that.

In any case anyone along from Central Florida to Georgia and South Carolina will need to watch Ophelia over the next few days. Track forecasts are notoriously bad when looping occurs.

tpratch

What if? [Re: Ryan]
      #54042 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:08 PM

Whereas Katrina didn't lose much intensity because she went over the Everglades, Ophelia would likely come into "proper" Florida terrain. Yes, many storms that hit FL restrengthen in the gulf, but at least as many (if not more) make landfall in FL and never exit until they are spat back out into the Atlantic - and farther up the coast.

When there is low confidence in the path, there's no reason to discuss if she hits the GOM - she hasn't made any indication of hitting land yet. Look at the extrap - to become a GOM event, she'd have to go W or SW right now - ain't gonna happen (we hope)

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #54044 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:10 PM

Looking at the Melbourne radar, this thing is starting to look impressive. Their certainly isn't any movement going on. If I was on the east coast, the shutters would be out. Way to close for comfort. Things are wrapping up around the center, and I am sure it is strengthening.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: What if? [Re: tpratch]
      #54046 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:12 PM

The predictions that were out on Katrina, said that she was not going to move S/W like she did. Everyone should go to Skeetobite and look at all the projected paths of Katrina, they moved about every 6 hours or so. So, just because a model says this, and another says that, there are always situations where storms never behave like they are modeled to do.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: pcola]
      #54047 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:13 PM

We're in Melbourne. It's already slightly north of us. Odds are we're safe unless it makes a loop right? In other words we should have several days?

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: What if? [Re: The Force 2005]
      #54048 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:14 PM

Just curious, has anybody heard JB's take on this one. The Accuweather track sees to be a bit up in the air as well.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Beach
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: pcola]
      #54049 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:17 PM

Hello,

I'm thinking that it might be making a jog to the West.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html
Activate the Tropical Frcast points
Zoom in a couple of clicks, inbetween the gap of the two forcast points there looks like a center moving towards the west.
Thoughts...

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: What if? [Re: pcola]
      #54050 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:19 PM

JB is taking the west across the state track. Beyond that, I don't want to consider. I am watching this one. Would like to see a turn out to sea. Just really don't know.

--------------------
Jim

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: What if? [Re: pcola]
      #54051 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:20 PM

Here is what Accuweather is saying about "O"

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurrica...;imagetype=move

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: emackl]
      #54052 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:20 PM

I would not say safe for melbourne. With the way the steering currents are, I think any place close is iffy. Just keep an eye and ear out.

--------------------
Jim

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast [Re: emackl]
      #54053 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:21 PM

I'm waiting for the 12Z GFDL (about 4 hours away...plus however long it takes to get published...). It should be much more accurate for this storm. I believe the AVN model that the GFDL uses as a spawn this time will be the first AVN run seeded after Ophelia became a TS. This will make the GFDL more reliable.

As for a southward jog...don't count it out. This thing is moving so slowly it could go any direction.

As for Melbourne radar, it is starting to form the eastern edge of a central circulation now. This thing looks stronger than a TS on radar. It looks to be trying to form an eye. That normally isn't seen until strong cat 2. I don't think it is anywhere near that strong, but it says to me that the storm is more organized than we thought.

--RC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 654 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51130

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center