F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: Ed in Va]
      #55501 - Tue Sep 20 2005 08:51 PM

5pm is out and all about the same west at 14 100mph track about the same nothing changed really since 2pm.

Edited by ralphfl (Tue Sep 20 2005 08:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
5pm advisory [Re: Ed in Va]
      #55502 - Tue Sep 20 2005 08:54 PM

The latest advisory keeps the intensity at 85 knots, but increases the forecast intensity to 115 knots beginning in about 24 hours until landfall sometime between 72-96 hours. The forecast track is basically unchanged.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Category 2 [Re: The Force 2005]
      #55503 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:01 PM

A faster moving storm is not going to upwell as much water, no, but a storm of sufficient intensity is going to mix water over a large depth. For category 3/4 storms, that is about 70m in depth -- the waters over the central Gulf have not recovered from Katrina to that kind of depth, only to a near-normal value. This mixing occurs regardless of the storm's speed; it is a sole function of storm intensity and its influence on the underlying ocean.

Thus, it's not quite correct to say that because the storm is moving faster than Katrina, the recovery of the oceanic waters underneath the storm is not going to be a concern. It will be a concern and likely a limit upon the maximum intensity of the storm. Remember: Katrina was the exception rather than the norm; most storms do not come close to approaching their maximum potential intensity in the Gulf as a result of two factors: 1) shear and/or 2) upper oceanic heat content. Here, it's the latter that should play a role in limiting Rita's intensity -- likely to a more "manageable" cat 3/4 level than another monster.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 5pm advisory [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #55504 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:01 PM

REPEATING THE 5 PM EDT POSITION...24.0 N... 82.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 15 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 973 MB.

Pressure is plummeting...

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Category 2 [Re: ralphfl]
      #55505 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:01 PM

Watching CNN, they interrupted with breaking news that the NHC is expecting Rita to reach Cat 4 status by 2pm tomorrow..

Dee

Kimberley Clark
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: Category 2 [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #55506 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:06 PM

Shawn, My prayers will be with you. My parents live off of Dog River in Mobile, Alabama and they left for the storm. They are elderly and heart patients and owe over $200,000 on their home. They thought when they refinanced that the flood insurance would continue to be escrowed. Well, Mama received a renewal notice in May, 2005, called the insurance agent and his office told them that it was being paid out of their mortgage and not to worry about it. Their home owners insurance was being escrowed, however, their flood was not and for a measly $40.00, they have no insurance. They are living in a camper in their driveway. It is sad because they have 15 children, 40 plus grandchildren and in the double digits on great grandchildren, and their are so many memories that were drowned. Keep us folks here in the Central Gulf in your prayers also. It is amazing what the weather can do to a town. The redlights are still not working around my area of work, however, I have seen some very kindhearted and wonderful people working together around here. Where I am working, the first floor is gutted. We are 1/2 block from Water Street and the first floor got about 5 feet of water. I have to be thankful though and thanks to you Shawn for reminding me how much I have to be thankful for.

--------------------
Kimberley Clark
Mobile, Alabama

Weather Watcher

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Category 2 [Re: StormKrone]
      #55508 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:10 PM

The way it went from TS to Cat2 in 3-4 hours, i'm not surprised that it could make Cat4. Lets just hope it doesn't slow down or a weak Cat4 might be a dream.

In my nonstop meanderings, I found a webpage that shows alot of terminology we use here and has a very easy to understand demonstration:

Hurricane Demonstration

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Category 2 [Re: StormKrone]
      #55509 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:12 PM

Philippe is down to a TS and seems to be absorbing 97L; Rita isnt slowing down, its expanding. The radar shows the eastern edge of the rain sheild not moving but the western edge progressing rather rapidly.

jusforsean
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Broward County
Re: Category 2 [Re: Rabbit]
      #55510 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:33 PM

Hi all, Its been a bumpy ride this season! I am done with the hurricanes this year would someone please send out a memo Other than the tornado warning in my broward county area we were fine. I actually took the kids and got out for an hour during the warning. We live in a manufactured home. I thought the tropics were quiet once Rita left. But i see a few waves are out there??? Any chance for development in the coming days??? I heard that October was suppose to be busy. We will see.
Hope everyone fared well.
Jusforsean

Susan in Jupiter, FL
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: jusforsean]
      #55511 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:49 PM

Up here in Jupiter, FL, northern Palm Beach County, we had very occasional breezes, and minimal rain, maybe 1/4". We've had more rain in an hour of a thunderstorm!

We'll be praying for everyone in TX & LA.............I know the feeling of getting hit twice in a three-week period......experienced it last year with Francis and Jeanne at almost exactly the same time as this year.

--------------------
Susan in Jupiter, FL Survived:
Andrew, Irene, Charley, Francis,
Ivan, Jeanne, Katrina, Wilma

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Category 2 [Re: jusforsean]
      #55512 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:49 PM

i was wondering does this really look like a galveston hit? or could it go a little south and hit lake jackson freeport area? the reason is my friend lives in lake jackson and works for the brazoria county sheriffs and i was wondering if it could hit them too? im a little worried bout her right now. i havent heard from her since last week cause she has been so busy helping with Katrina victims in brazoria county. i need some input on this please. :?:

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: Category 2 [Re: nl]
      #55513 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:02 PM

Channel 9 in Orlando just reported that Key West had a gust of 102 mph. They are about 50 miles from the eye. Don't kill the messenger.........

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #55514 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:03 PM

We are 4 days from Texas now. The model range is from southern TX through western LA. It could hit anywhere along there, though the centerline is Galviston. If she's "anywhere" along the Texas coast, she'll probably be affected by this storm in some way or other.

*/me kills FireAng85*

Edited by Random Chaos (Tue Sep 20 2005 10:04 PM)

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: Random Chaos]
      #55515 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:08 PM

Nogaps seems to be way to the sw almost in Brownsville.

At the rate its moving, could Rita get into the Gulf and stay further south as the ridge would still be in place?

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #55516 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:09 PM

does anyone have that link too the worse case scenario for galveston or houston that was on here yesterday? i need that link.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #55517 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:14 PM

Latest recon shows the pressure down to 970 mb.

Here is the link to the Houston/Galveston "worst-case" scenario info:

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/05/hurricane/index.html

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #55518 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:19 PM

thank you so much!

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Category 2 [Re: Clark]
      #55519 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:37 PM

Seems the current track is taking it west of Galveston, possibly Matagorda Bay. They seem pretty confident in the track.
However our area is still in the cone. What are the chances it could go more east? Is it the speed of the storm that is affecting
where it will make landfall? I know the track may be determined by what the high does. Most here are getting gas, water, etc. just in
case. Also, what are we looking at intensity wise?

Chris Bryant
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: NC
      #55520 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:44 PM

Quote:

does anyone have that link too the worse case scenario for galveston or houston that was on here yesterday? i need that link.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/05/hurricane/index.html

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
radar [Re: Chris Bryant]
      #55521 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:48 PM

Starting to see a better defined eye on both radar and satellite, though the convection on the west side of the system is not nearly as deep as the convection on the east side. This thing could really take off if it can maintain a closed eyewall.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50925

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center