F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Category 2 Hurricane Rita in the Florida Straits
      #55364 - Tue Sep 20 2005 07:12 AM

6:30PM
Huricane Rita is now moving west and away from the Keys, but the back side of the large storm is affecting the coast, spawning tornadoes and waterspouts. 75MPH sustained winds were reported at Key West with gusts over 100MPH. The core of the eyewall remained south of Key west, barely.

The latest recon report has the pressure down to 970 millibars.

The future track has not changed as of yet, as the attention beginds to focus more on the Gulf coast, especially middle-north Texas.

1:45PM
Rita is now a category 2 hurricane with 100MPH winds, a new advisory at 2PM Will reflect this.

9:15AM
Rita is now officially a category 1 Hurricane. A Special statement to this regard was released by the Hurricane Center.

The next official advisory at 11AM will reflect this.

Live version of this radar courtesy HCW
Animated Version Mirror

Original Update
Rita is still a strong Tropical Storm near the Southwestern bahamas, quickly moving generally westward with a hint of north movement. Rita is now visible on radar and we're recording the radar images here.

It is still expected to become a hurricane, but it did not overnight like we previously though, so that is a little bit of good news, it doesn't have as much a chance to develop before approaching the Keys. Conditions are positive for strengthening, but not overly so. Which is a also another small bit of good news.

Image courtesy SkeetobiteWeather.com
Comments/Feedback on the maps look here.

Rita has leveled off overnight and is still moving quite rapidly to the west. It is still likely to pass just to the south of Key West and enter into the Gulf, possibly nearing Key West as or near a Category 2 Hurricane. If the track continues, hurricane force winds will be confined to parts of the Keys.

Beyond the Florida Keys, it should enter into the Gulf. The forecast track shifted a bit west toward the middle texas coast, with the cone south to Northern Mexico an east toward Middle Louisiana.

As far as the Gulf is concerned there is still a lot of uncertainty, it is best to not concentrate more on that track until after it passes west of Florida.

Warnings and watches have not changed since last night.

Philippe is still heading out to sea, and the wave east of the Leeward islands has a very low chance to develop, at least for the next several days.

Report Rita conditions in your area here.

More to come later.

Event-Related Links
Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Cuban Radar

Spaghetti Style model plots from Colorado State University

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Miami, Key West, Melbourne

CFHC Long term Key West Radar Recording of Rita
CFHC Long term Bahamas Radar Recording of Rita

StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Emergency Management/County info
Monroe County Emergency Management (Florida Keys)
Broward County Emergency Management
Palm Beach County emergency managment
Miami-Dade County Emergency Management
State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org

Video/Audio

Jim Williams, from Hurricane City and West Palm Beach, is doing his live audio show as Rita approaches on hurricanecity. Listen here

Ross from Suncam.tv is streaming video and webcams from the landfall area

Marc Sudduth will likely also be in the area see his live streaming video and audio here

Reply and let us know of other links.

Rita

Animated model plots of Rita

Google Map plot of Rita

Floater satellite loops (With forecast track overlay):
Rita Floater Visible Satellite Loop
Rita Floater Infrared Satellite Loop
Rita Floater Shortwave Infrared Satellite Loop
Rita Dvorak Loop
Rita Water Vapor Loop

Philippe

Animated model plots of Philippe

97L

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cindi
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Panama City, FL
Re: Rita Nears Hurricane Strength Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: MikeC]
      #55365 - Tue Sep 20 2005 07:35 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is keeping Rita from making landfall along the NE Gulf (i.e. Panama City area?) How certain is the current track? Should I make preparations already? I have most of water/food etc from earlier in the season. Should I go on and make arrangements to leave? Seems like from past experience with hurricanes, they tend to go the opposite way of where they were initally predicted to go. I am sick of hurricanes...

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Rita Nears Hurricane Strength Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: Cindi]
      #55367 - Tue Sep 20 2005 07:40 AM

Quote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is keeping Rita from making landfall along the NE Gulf (i.e. Panama City area?) How certain is the current track? Should I make preparations already? I have most of water/food etc from earlier in the season. Should I go on and make arrangements to leave? Seems like from past experience with hurricanes, they tend to go the opposite way of where they were initally predicted to go. I am sick of hurricanes...

It's not going anywhere near the panhandle, there is nothing that could take it that way, and it is too far south.

tpratch

Reged: Fri
Loc: Maryland
      #55368 - Tue Sep 20 2005 07:40 AM

Cindi

The confidence on the intial track and motion is very high. There is nothing to suggest a northward motion at this time. Breathe easily for now

Joshua
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
      #55369 - Tue Sep 20 2005 07:44 AM

Quote:

Basically, CIndi, a large high pressure ridge to the north of Rita and a low pressure system to the south are keeping it on a westward to west-north-westward movement currently. But, if these systems deviate any to the north or south, or weaken in any specific area along the forecasted path, it could jog a little bit. The best thing to do would be to have supplies with you from June 30 - November 1. This is a must if you live anywhere along the coast!!

- Josh

bigpapi
Weather Watcher

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
Re: Rita Nears Hurricane Strength Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: Joshua]
      #55374 - Tue Sep 20 2005 08:32 AM

I believe Recon has found a Hurricane. Pressure down to 985 and winds so far in the NW quadrant at 78 knots. I don't think they are done yet though.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Re: Rita Nears Hurricane Strength Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: bigpapi]
      #55378 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:02 AM

Here's recon (HCW requested it in the old thread):

URNT12 KNHC 201216
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 20/12:03:50Z
B. 23 deg 43 min N
080 deg 20 min W
C. 850 mb 1309 m
D. 55 kt
E. 113 deg 056 nm
F. 186 deg 069 kt
G. 110 deg 044 nm
H. 985 mb
I. 14 C/ 1526 m
J. 21 C/ 1524 m
K. 17 C/ NA
L. OPEN S
M. E220/50/40
N. 12345/ 8
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF300 1018A Rita OB 07
MAX FL WIND 69 KT E QUAD 11:50:20 Z

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: Rita Nears Hurricane Strength Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: MikeC]
      #55379 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:08 AM

They said she was forecast to hit further south because of the fast movement of the storm. If she slows down a bit is there a chance
of a more central or upper Texas coast hit? Yesterday the track looked more north Texas. Could it shift back or is it pretty certain
it will go more south? How confident is the track this far out? Also, what is causing the fast movement?

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Re: Rita Nears Hurricane Strength Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #55380 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:13 AM

"Look at the cone" - all of Texas is still under threat. So are parts of Louisiana. This thing is still 5 days out...

Models are still showing anywhere on the Texas coast:
http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png
http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/late1.png

--RC

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
miami@ 9... norcross thoughts on pressure..& Hurricane Status finally [Re: Random Chaos]
      #55381 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:13 AM

he is very surprised that a storm with the low pressure that this storm does have.... is not a hurricane, waiting like everyone to hear what recon and NHC decides.. but as he says..its NHC's call

and also surprised as we all are that it never became a hurricane last night

agreed...went to sleep at midnight and thought it would easily be a strong 1 by morning and never did it..
woke up at 4am to heavy rain band, very heavy and woke up at 7am to what looked like a replay of miami and georges.. over preparation (which is good...better safe than sorry) and just a lot of wind

breezy, blustery..waiting for an hour or so and probably going out

announces now it is Hurricane Rita

So...bryan is no longer surprised on that one

guess bastardi can stop clenching his teeth too

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: miami@ 9... norcross thoughts on pressure..& Hurricane Status finally [Re: LoisCane]
      #55384 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:18 AM

It is a hurricane now. Will be reflected on the 11 am advisory.

I realize all of Texas is in the cone but I know landfall depends alot on what the high over us does. The speed that the hurricane
moves will also be important. So I was just wondering if she could slow down some or if the high could break up sooner. Any thoughts
on that?

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
texas [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #55385 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:23 AM

wondering if she might take a bend south on her track west... or go low enough to come close to tex/mex border

i mean if nothing is there to pull her north.. why wouldn't she come in south of 25?
if she holds speed

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: texas [Re: LoisCane]
      #55386 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:31 AM

well that good thing is that Rita is moving so fast that hopefully she won't get alot of time to build/get a chance to turn north or stall/turn north north-east...

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: texas [Re: Psyber]
      #55387 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:49 AM

Surely you jest. I did see some models hinting at a rounding of the florida peninsula last night, but I am sure that every one knows exactly where this storm is going at this point. We here in West Central Florida would appreciate some rain from any bands that might come our way. I am wondering about the article I read earlier in the year. I will place the link for those to read while waiting for the next report. It is very interesting in light of the actual first half of the hurricane season. The title is: The Case Against Florida
http://myweb.cableone.net/nolasue/Florida/

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Edited by GuppieGrouper (Tue Sep 20 2005 09:50 AM)

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: Hurricane Rita Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: MikeC]
      #55388 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:53 AM

One interesting tidbit. In all the time of keeping records there has never been a storm that started where Rita did that will have made
landfall as far west as where she is projected to make landfall. In fact, I believe all of the storms that started forming where she did
ended up hitting Louisiana or east of there. So this would be a first if she hits Texas, or even north Mexico.

bigpapi
Weather Watcher

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
Re: Hurricane Rita Heading for the Florida Straits [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #55389 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:54 AM

Pressure down again to 982. This could be the rapid deepening people alluded to.

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Re: texas [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #55390 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:00 AM

LOL floridians always think every hurricane is going to swing around and hit the panhandle. No, there's absolutely nothing that is going to force this to stall anywhere near florida before turning it N/N-E. It really looks like its going to burn in to texas without any noticable change of direction other than a slight N-W/W turn.

Your link was quite enjoyable and makes alot of sense for increased watchfullness for other hurricanes, just not this one. The problem with FLA caine's is the lack of warning before they ram themselves into what could be a fairly large landing cone. At least with GOM ones you can get 5-6 days of a fairly decent track.

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: texas [Re: Psyber]
      #55391 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:22 AM

Just a quick note - just got to work and saw the 9:15. Driving in I was envisioning a conversation...radioing the recon pilot, "hey could you just keep flying around up there until you find a 75kt or 80kt flight wind? Please!!!..."

Gotta go to training, catch up with you all later.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
radar [Re: Margie]
      #55392 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:34 AM

Looks like the NE quadrant of the storm has really dried out for the time being. Overall, though, the system looks better than it did last night... there is actually an inner core, albeit one that is not completely closed around the center.

Also, the system appears to be headed due west right now, a trend which would spare the Keys a worse fate if it holds for the next few hours.

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Tue Sep 20 2005 10:36 AM)

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Re: texas [Re: Margie]
      #55393 - Tue Sep 20 2005 10:38 AM

LOL I agree...after Katrina there are going to be alot of false alarms/people seeing eyewalls doing things that they just aren't doing. It's going to be very hard to stay focused and be objective with every piece of data that comes out of not only Rita but the next 10 or so storms which we encounter.

The good that came out of Katrina is at least people have a wakeup call as to what can happen if people do not take every possible step to get the heck out of the way of these storms. Boards on your windows don't stop 30 foot seas. Maybe this time people will remember longer than 5 years what can happen.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51249

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center