F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
KATFIVE
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Re: houston we have a problem [Re: oil trader]
      #56027 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:40 PM

you bring up the million dollar question. The way this thing is spinning up, I wonder how quickly it will spin down when there is still warm water beyond the Loop. So if this thing gets up to 185 mph and near record central pressure, is there a basics physics question as to how quickly it can deaccelerate absent cool water or dry air entrainment or some very timely EWRC. In the case of KAT, there was a bit of deacceleration, but the storm surge was not immediately responsive to the relative weakening to say the least.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gk
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Flagler Beach, FL
Re: houston we have a problem [Re: oil trader]
      #56028 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:41 PM

I personally see nothing in front of Rita to indicate weakening. No shear to mention, ridging weakening, warm waters. With the exception of an ERC she still has the chance to regain Cat 5 status before landfall no mater where that is.

Black Pearl
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Mobile Bay
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Random Chaos]
      #56029 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:42 PM

A few minutes ago Dr. Lyons suggested that areas in SW LA outside the Eastern edge of the cone should be closely monitoring the storm in case it were to make landfall slightly right of the Eastern edge of the cone.

Edited by Black Pearl (Wed Sep 21 2005 08:44 PM)

BCoEng16C

Loc: Maryland,USA
Anything to weaken Rita? [Re: gk]
      #56030 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:44 PM

When Rita gets closer to land where the water is not as deep and a little cooler won't that weaken her somewhat ?

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Goosus]
      #56031 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

17 09/21 5:00 PM 24.4N 86.8W
17A 09/21 8:00 PM 24.5N 86.8W

Clearly there has to be a typo... as if you look at the sats, the storm is moving and there is a most definite west component.

Regarding comment below.... all I am saying is the NHC has to be mistaken in one of those coordinates. From 5PM to 8PM the storm did not stay still (or only move 0.1N). I'm not obsessing over the sats, just pointing out that there is a mistake, which is clearly illustrated by the sats.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Edited by Terra (Wed Sep 21 2005 08:52 PM)

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #56032 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:45 PM

remember..tracks are not from advisory to advisory..they go for 12 hours..which is why we are still looking west...the storm is wobbling, or better yet, what is often called a stair pattern..it wobbles due north, then due west, Hurricane Dennis did this, that is why it made landfall at Navarre fl. It was on a north wobble, if it had been west, it would have been closer to Mobile..but this is a definate change in direction, slightly north of the NHC path..and with 2 days to go, it could have a significant impact on landfall, especially if it slows down..I'm still focused on Galvaston to Port Arthur as landfall, with whoever is 20-40 miles east of landfall taking one he** of a beating!

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #56033 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Either I'm crazy, or am I the only one who is noticing that according to the NHC storm coordinates, Rita did not move West during the time between the 5PM and 8PM Advisories? Take a look at the Google map plot, it only drifted a little due north. This doesn't look like movement due west at 13 mph to me.

You're not crazy, I just looked at the coordinates. That would explain why it is due north of the forecast track.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

gk
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Flagler Beach, FL
Re: Wave Height [Re: pcola]
      #56034 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:48 PM

Notice the wave height on the buoy south of NO, 21. 3 ft - period 15 sec and that is well away from center.

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Terra]
      #56035 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:48 PM

Calm people.... I know that this is freakish and scary stuff to see, but staring at the IR loops or the visible loops will not make the storm update any faster, nor will a few hours significantly alter the course of the storm.

If you can, go bike, walk, go watch Lost, do something else for a bit and relax.... come back and look objectively (unless you're a met, in which case, work harder!! read those tea leaves and tell is what's going to happen!

BTW, could someone change the title to "Rita"
Guess we're all a little excited tonight

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
Re: houston we have a problem [Re: KATFIVE]
      #56036 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:49 PM

Kat,

Even if it weakens a little bit, the effects on storm surge take much longer to subside, about 12-24 hrs to the actual weakening of the storm. As we seen in Katrina, it weaken upon hitting land, but the damage was already done, the surge was huge. And if we have winds at or over 185, then the push of water has already started out in all directions, and will continue to build.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Re: Anything to weaken Rita? [Re: BCoEng16C]
      #56037 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:49 PM

Possibly, but I imagine it will be like with Katrina...may be a Cat 3 or 4 but still have that Cat 5 surge...that's the big thing to worry about the surge.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
Re: All Time Third Most Intense Atlantic Category 5 Hurricane Rita Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: MikeC]
      #56038 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:53 PM

Mike,

What do you mean by annular hurricane?

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Satellite Bch FL
      #56039 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:54 PM

We all like to look at the wobbles we see in the satellite images and think they represent a long term change. We just have to be a little patient and see. The timing of the weakening of high pressure north of the storm, the speed of forward motion of Rita and how quickly the next trough drifts east will determine the outcome. And yes the latest models look like the storm may be towards the right (North ) of the guidance.

Weakening is a tougher question - eyewall replacement doesn't necessarily mean the overall storm energy is decreased as the wind field can expand - But as the storm turns more northward the protected environment over the warmest gulf waters with an upper level anti-cyclone will slowly be lost - I would guess a scenario similar to Katrina - a devastating major hurricane but prob not Cat 5 at landfall

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Random Chaos]
      #56040 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:55 PM

The movement is not sustained to the NW. It is stairstepping, so over the most recent time period movement has been to the WNW overall at about 290deg.

Zoon in on wv loop & run.

Between 17:45Z and 20:15Z, movement to 305deg.
Between 20:15Z and 22:45Z, movement to 270deg.
Next frame, to 23:15Z, movement to 300deg.

So we can't draw the conclusion the overall movement is NW. At the most, if this trend continues, it will be WNW. However overall movement may still be west, or about 270-275deg, over a longer period of time. NHC has been extremely accurate with landfall predictions. They have been so accurate that they've only had to make minor adjustments over time for most of the tracks.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: satellite steve]
      #56041 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:56 PM

Annular Hurricane Suggested Reading

Terra
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Margie]
      #56042 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:56 PM

Whoa... check out what the A98E model did for the latest run... Other models also reran, but did not have the same dramatic shift.

http://www.skeetobiteweather.com/imagelinkbeta.asp?image=AL182005

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Re: Anything to weaken Rita? [Re: twizted sizter]
      #56043 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:59 PM

1. I am seeing a WNW to NW movement now on IR, and recon definately shows a long term WNW movement. I think she's starting to turn, cutting a path to the east of the high pressure. If you look at the CMISS steering currents, it is clear she is east of the high, and she's ignoring its steering currents that should be pushing her SW, and that means cutting north between the UL high over TX and the UL high over FL.

Steering currents: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm6.html

THESE ARE ALL STRONGLY IF STATEMENTS. No models are showing what I'm talking about, but the steering currents are clearly present. She has deepened so much in such little time that the steering currents that the models based her track on may no longer be valid.

2: IF she does cut north, the TX high will push her east, making landfall even toward the FL panhandle possible. If you are anywhere along the gulf I would watch this thing CLOSELY!

3: IF she does cut north, it will keep her over warmer waters longer, as long as she isn't pushed too far east. That could cause her to maintain, or increase, intensity. The warmest deep waters in the gulf are just to her north now.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #56044 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:01 PM

What is the A98e..is it a global model..info please....

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: pcola]
      #56045 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:02 PM

NASA image

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/134221main_pia06428-browse.jpg

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: pcola]
      #56046 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

What is the A98e..is it a global model..info please....

"A98E: The A98E model is a statistical-dynamical prediction model that uses geopotential heights from the GFS forecast to modify a CLIPER (CLImatology and PERsistence) track forecast. It is the early NHC98 Statistical-Dynamical Model run for the Atlantic."

Source: http://weather.wtoc.com/tropical/computer_proj1.htm (aren't google searches handy? )

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54991

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center