F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Comedy Shop

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
that guy from canada

Reged: Wed
One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea..
      #55958 - Wed Sep 21 2005 07:06 PM

One question never asked,, is: if the gulf temps are so high.. (91 degrees.) . This fuels the hurricanes.. Why not try and bring the temperatures down 10 degrees and that should soften the blow of these hurricanes..
How do we bring it down?
if I knew that and no one else did,, god forbid me.., But maybe Ice? or 'special' electronic probes they use at the convenience stores to chill down a barrel of water for the pop and beer to get cold in..

Obviously something a lot bigger.. If they can pin point a landing on Mars they could cool down the Gulf of Mexico.. right ?????

(I was going to delete this entire thread, but the Comedy Shop seems to be a good fit)
ED

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Nov 16 2005 11:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guy from FL
Unregistered

Re: One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea.. [Re: that guy from canada]
      #55974 - Wed Sep 21 2005 07:41 PM

Thats a great idea. Maybe we could install huge shock absorbers along fault lines, a massive sprinkler system for forest fires, and a heating system for you freezing canadians while we are at it.

that guy from canada

Re: One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea.. [Re: guy from FL]
      #55982 - Wed Sep 21 2005 07:50 PM

Well you can just sit around year after year , after year , being pounded by these hurricanes or you could devise a way to curb them..

A few years of these and the USA will be bankrupt..

i put in my two cents where is yours??

Convergence
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland
Re: One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea.. [Re: that guy from canada]
      #56005 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:09 PM

And destroy the entire Gulf ecosystem? Yeah, that's a great idea.

that guy from canada

Re: One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea.. [Re: Convergence]
      #56021 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:31 PM

the pollution runoff from New Orleans will take care of that...

palmautomall

Sitting Ducks...... [Re: that guy from canada]
      #56047 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:02 PM

Really...what do we know? I'm no professor and neither are you. Otherwise we would be talking more intelligently. But since your on the topic. Your right and I have been saying this since I personally was hit by Hurricane Charley in my town last August 13th.
One thing fuels a Hurricane....high water temps and high air temps. Then the wind takes it. What slows it down? Well....land and cooler air and water temps. Since we can't create land in front of a hurricane...why not cool it. Or at least try....SOMETHING!!!!!!
Primitive idea and it might even be stupid but here goes..... A NOAA plane flies over the eye and drops a cooling system int the hurricane. Not a million 5000 lb. bags of ice. Something like a liquid nitrogen bomb if you will. That erupts in the center of the hurricane and acts as an immediate cooling device. And it should be done near Africa....where they came from to begin with! So if it should happen to work...GREAT. But if it should happen to change the direction to the opposite way.....then at least it goes back to where it originated. Not that I want Africa to get hit either....... but better them than me. Sorry, but hurricane victims think that way.
So...lets do nothing and have our homeland destroyed and watch our insurance premiums go through the roof, the nation debt., unemployment and everything else.
Now how stupid is that? The hurricane activity is not going to stop. Something will eventually get done or at least testing will begin after Texas gets destroyed on Friday. I've seen 4 Hurricanes close up last year. I live on the Southwest Gulf coast of Florida. It's not fun right now........

big g
Unregistered

#56054 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:14 PM

How about installing some giant fans on the coastal areas :?:

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Sitting Ducks...... [Re: palmautomall]
      #56075 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:50 PM

You all don't understand the power of these storms. A normal hurricane has the power of at least 10,000 atomic bombs and the amount of water it churns, both at the surface and through depth, it enormous. Trust me, this is not the first time these ideas have been thought about (and won't be the last), but I can unequivocally say that they will not work and will likely have tangential effects on the ecosystem/environment unforseen to many.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

palmautomall

Re: One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea.. [Re: big g]
      #56076 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:51 PM

Dude....you can't be serious. Right....you just messin around, right!!! Giant fans.........yeah and maybe I'll get Mr.Freeze to stop by and blow on the hurricane. If you are ever in threat of a hurricane, you'll see how funny it isn't

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
      #56077 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:53 PM

perhaps instead of large fans and 200 billion dollars of ice (boy that's a funny thought) how about we just don't build multi billion dollar industries and cities on the water? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LessCrazyCanuck
Unregistered

#56081 - Wed Sep 21 2005 09:59 PM

Sometimes the primative ideas are the best ones. I think you're actually on the right track there. The trick is to "attack" the storm while it's still a forming tropical depression, and not wait until it turns into a raging hurricane. But I like the concept - when you see the storm forming, break it up before it has a chance to grow. The question would be, if you dropped some sort of "pressure bomb" (or thermal one) into the eye of the storm to try and break things up, how long lasting would that effect be? How long before temperature and pressure returned to their "pre-bomb" state? Would it be sufficient to permanently break it up, or just delay the inevitable?

Why is it that some tropical depressions don't grow into hurricanes while others do? I'm sure that's a question climatologists have been trying to answer for decades. You'd like to think that if you could isolate a series of events that caused a TD to break up, then the only remaining challenge would be to artificially create those same events, thus giving you the ability to "prevent" a hurricane.

Therein lies the challenge.

Until then, keep your eyes on the skies, and stay safe!

palmautomall

Re: Sitting Ducks...... [Re: Clark]
      #56082 - Wed Sep 21 2005 10:00 PM

You go Clark. Thanks.....now were getting somewhere! So what are we going to do? Are they really even trying or is there just now way?

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea.. [Re: jr928]
      #56083 - Wed Sep 21 2005 10:01 PM

Bingo!!

big g
Unregistered

Re: One way to curb/slow these hurricanes is this idea.. [Re: twizted sizter]
      #56120 - Wed Sep 21 2005 10:43 PM

All ways to stop them are economically unfeasable, but so is the clean up. And thats not dis-counting the lost lives. To say there no way is the ostridge in the sand approach that would of never landed a man on the moon or the exploration of Mars. But right now mother nature is doing what she's done for Centuries.

englewoodFL
Unregistered

#56175 - Wed Sep 21 2005 11:50 PM

There is an article in the paper that people might like. Here's the link http://heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050921/BUSINESS/509210598

So, thoughts? Is this feasible?

Dynagel is in no way feasible. The product just wouldn't work and poses some environmental threats, despite the claims to the contrary. Also keep in mind the material posted in the next post -- it is spot on. --Clark

Edited by Clark (Thu Sep 22 2005 12:37 AM)

JulieTampa
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lithia, FL
Hurricanes Are Necessary [Re: englewoodFL]
      #56183 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:04 AM

Hurricanes play a part in the world's ecology - they bring water and warmth from the Tropics into more Northern latitudes. Much worse consequences would result if we stopped them from occuring.

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Satellite Bch FL
Re: Hurricanes Are Necessary [Re: JulieTampa]
      #56209 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:30 AM

But --- Are we making things worse by warming the planet -- lot's of great debate out there about global warming.

There are definite cycles to hurricane activity and it is obvious to all we are in a cycle of intense activity that may subside over the coming years. Still there is recent evidence that the percentage of intense storms in the Atlantic & W.Pacific basins is increasing -- Is this a manifestation of global warming??

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Hurricanes Are Necessary [Re: satellite steve]
      #56215 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:56 AM

Problem is that the number/percent of intense storms -- and storms in general -- is going down across other basins. Globally, the number has remained largely the same for many years now (since we have reliable data into the 60s). Global warming doesn't act in two opposite manners; plus, with global warming, many have predicted more El Nino events. That would suppress activity in the Atlantic and enhance it in the W. Pacific; generally, activity in those two basins are not positively correlated. There are way too many questions and holes in the theory to claim global warming is the cause for much of anything related to the tropics...IMO.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

An Aussie
Unregistered

Re: Avoid hurricanes .. [Re: that guy from canada]
      #56220 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:09 AM

Perhaps the authorities should rethink the importance of housing or not housing people in such hazardous locations. Seems towns even 100km inland from the coast are generally safe from these storms! Existing coastal towns and cities could be downgraded in size to that required service the oil rigs and refineries only.

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: BROWARD
Re: Hurricanes Are Necessary [Re: JulieTampa]
      #56235 - Thu Sep 22 2005 04:15 AM

Quote:

Hurricanes play a part in the world's ecology - they bring water and warmth from the Tropics into more Northern latitudes. Much worse consequences would result if we stopped them from occurring.

During the last 4-5 decades the U.S. has attempted to modify the weather using several methods. We even went off shore and seeded a TD or TS with AgI (silver iodide crystals) in an attempt to rain out further development of the nascent system. Cloud seeding was tried many times within the confines of the country as well. Two problems, at least, became manifest.

The data did not sufficiently support the hypothesis and...
Foreign countries claimed that we were making the storms worse for them. They told us to cease and desist or face legal action.

Because One man's meat is another's poison and because the accumulated data was inconclusive at best, we stopped experimenting totally or for a goodly number of years. Conspiracy theorists have, in fairly recent times, raised the claim that we are using highly secret electronic methods in service of weather modification.

To my mind, because of the thermodynamic leveling action of our beloved Tropical Storms; We should hew to these adages.
  • DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS
  • DON'T FOOL WITH MOTHER NATURE.

• GET OFF THE BEACH, YOU MORON! (most important of all)

• Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
    0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
          You cannot start new topics
          You cannot reply to topics
          HTML is disabled
          UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
    Topic views: 22729

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
    CFHC's main servers are currently located at
    Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
    Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
    Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
    When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center