F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56302 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:35 PM

i really do not see a NORTHERLY turn, NORTHWEST yes, but not a due north turn. heading last 3 hours was 315, due NW. It is still wobling as it goes, so depending on what part of the wobble it is on, the true heading could be east or west of NW. I know the track has shifted and I feel this nw component will bring the storm to the TX/LA borderi, which is a considerable change from yesterday, but should not be a major problem for NO, but a minor one..by the way, the surf here in Pensacola Beach is REALLY awesome right now.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: pryord1]
      #56303 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:46 PM

Pry,

I would not think that far east is called for. The upper air dynamics won't allow for it to move that far east. But that is not to say, that the Panhandle won't start feeling the effects though. Remember, Rita is a rather large storm now, almost the size of Katrina. So you should start feeling her tonight in not by late this afternoon.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
      #56304 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:47 PM

In the 5AM discussion they talked about some sheer. If it's heading more north and into the high doesn't that increase the shear too?

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: tpratch]
      #56305 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:50 PM

Tp,

You have to remember that Rita is still a CAT 5. If she does weaken some, it will take about 24hrs for her surge to weaken as well. So to say we won't see the storm surge is not entirely true statement.

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Useful Links [Re: pcola]
      #56306 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:50 PM

Here is a link to the Bouys that are in the Gulf somewhat near the storm.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/WestGulf.shtml

Galveston Bouys:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Galveston_Bay.shtml

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #56307 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:55 PM

Delray,

I don't think that high or sheer as you call it will have any effect on Rita. right now, looks pretty impressive as she did last night. So, the thinking is that Rita will stand her ground, and I think an ERC will take place today, which would be bad, since landfall is predicted for tomorrow night learly morning on Saturday. Best scenario would it happen late tonight or even tomorrow, but the RECON is stating they are starting to see the outter eyewall starting to max out in wind capacity, which would indicate that it is in the process to recycle.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
wobbles [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56308 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:55 PM

whenever we've got one of these well-defined super hurricanes you can always see the eye movement very well, and the normal wishy-washy not-straight track they take is more apparent. Rita has thus far behaved pretty normally, oscillating right and left, but mostly right. if you look at the overall track errors there pretty low and pretty consistently to the left... but not a whole lot. this raises the threat level in western louisiana, with the highest probability impact zone being closer to the tx/la border now.. but new orleans is not under any greater threat. the storm will have passed their longitude this afternoon.
fyi, even though a hit east of houston will reduce their damage potential, beaumont takes up the slack. there's also more oil-related infrastructure to break over there. the trends are more of a consolation for houston, but worse for other folks.
it's morbid good news, but the NHC forecast track is likely too strong... 3/4 borderline landfall is still where i'd keep my stock. point will remain at sargent, as guidance has already been on either side, and may just shift right back.
HF 1355z22september

pryord1
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Navarre, FL
      #56309 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

Pry,

I would not think that far east is called for. The upper air dynamics won't allow for it to move that far east. But that is not to say, that the Panhandle won't start feeling the effects though. Remember, Rita is a rather large storm now, almost the size of Katrina. So you should start feeling her tonight in not by late this afternoon.

We already see some good E winds and a few rain bands moved through last night. I live on East Bay and the bay has been trucking pretty solidly to the east since yesterday afternoon. Even though we were a good distance from Katrina (only in the watch area) we still saw 70 mph sustained here. We're still trying to recover from Ivan, TS Arlene, TS Cindy and Dennis, who hit us dead-on- all within the last year. So I hope you understand my skittishness. Thanks for the info!

--------------------
The key to a good life is higher thought. Challenge yourself, push your personal limits and go for the brass ring!

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
30 FT Wave Heights in the Central Gulf [Re: Beach]
      #56310 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:56 PM

I ment to note:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42001
Is reporting:
Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 20 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 44.7 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 56.3 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 30.8 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 12 sec

The Bouy is located Mid Gulf about 180 nm South of Southwest Pass, LA

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #56311 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:57 PM

Re-read what I typed.

The reference to sloughing off surge was in the event of a drastic direction change. Something I have stated I don't see happening. I've been the one saying that even if this storm weakens, if it stays on its current path, it'll be carrying the Cat 5 storm surge with it.

No worries, but I was rather clear in my statement. Apologies if you misunderstood.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: wobbles [Re: HanKFranK]
      #56312 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:03 PM

Hank,

What is your take on the theory that Rita will try to get in between the two high pressures and ride that along to the North?

funky
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: i thought galveston.. [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #56313 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:03 PM

if anything, i think we are seeing some good news (if you can call it that)...the center and ne quadrant will most likely land somewhere around Calcasieu Lake to Cypremort Point State Park. This is a good thing right? I am not from the area, but seeing it on the maps, it looks mostly to be unpopulated areas. n.o. will be spared, and so will houston/galveston if the trend continues....we can only hope now...

--------------------
WE WILL FIX YOU N.O. --- http://media.putfile.com/KATRINA25

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
east of where it should be by 60 miles [Re: Beach]
      #56314 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:04 PM

wnw-nw for 2 more hours...followed by a defintive nw for the next 4-5 hours...followed by a nw-nnw...
you get the idea...

still think New Orleans is a distinct possibility, IF the hurricane continues it's eastward shift.

definitely gonna track east another 250 miles from the current "official" track. when you look at the achieved N position right now...it is EAST of the projected point at least 60 miles....

simple geometric extrapolation shifts it east a lot.

Rick, hurricanes do NOT follow simple geometric extrapolation! Is there a weakness in the ridge to the north of Rita? Yes. It is also not a very strong one and trust me, the people at the NHC know better than you and I what this means for the forecast track. It needs to be watched, sure, but to suggest that it is going to go there? Not sure. From here on out, let's tone it down just a little, k? Thanks... -Clark

Edited by Clark (Thu Sep 22 2005 03:27 PM)

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 30 FT Wave Heights in the Central Gulf [Re: Beach]
      #56315 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:07 PM

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42038

Greattt...one of the key buoys was snapped from its mooring line(i ass|u|me by Katrina).

Bet they now wish the maintenance schedule had put repairing that station at the top of the list...

Edit:ohh I just checked the maintenance list...

42038 April 2006 Restore station (set adrift by Katrina).

Gotta love budgets, they allow you to fix equipment thats damaged half way through a hurricane season so you can get readings for the next one(disgusted look on face)

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

Edited by Psyber (Thu Sep 22 2005 02:12 PM)

heynow
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Abbeville, LA
Re: i thought galveston.. [Re: funky]
      #56316 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:16 PM

Not sparsley populated at all. The Lake Charles/Lafayette region has approximately 1 million people. Not to mention these cities are bulging at their seems because taking in NOLA evacuees.

This is looking real bad for us (Abbeville is 15 miles south of Lafayette and 20 miles north of the GOM).

--------------------
I've lived through Danny ('85), Juan ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05) and Gustav ('08).

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: east of where it should be by 60 miles [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #56317 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:18 PM

Rick,

Got a question for you. Do you have it in for N.O? Evertime you post, you state the N.O is not out of the woods, it is getting closer etc. I was just curious why you continue your rant about N.O. when all indications show that N.O will not be in the cone. Now I believe that from the center of LA and Westard will be in th econe, thats not to say the N.O won't feel any ill effects by Rita, in which I think they will.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: wobbles [Re: HanKFranK]
      #56318 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:21 PM

Hank,

Any information as to when RECON is going out or are they there now, and what about the IMM update at 10:00AM?

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
wierd question... [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56319 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:24 PM

when I posted I thought Gaveston instead of further south...did I have it in for Galveston?....

next time I'll put a lat/long instead of a city....perhaps that will help. sorry if it appeared in my posts that I am HOPING New Orleans gets it...not at all.

it's what I am seeing.

pryord1
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Navarre, FL
Re: east of where it should be by 60 miles [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56320 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

Rick,

Got a question for you. Do you have it in for N.O? Evertime you post, you state the N.O is not out of the woods, it is getting closer etc. I was just curious why you continue your rant about N.O. when all indications show that N.O will not be in the cone. Now I believe that from the center of LA and Westard will be in th econe, thats not to say the N.O won't feel any ill effects by Rita, in which I think they will.

I don't think what Rick is saying can be called a rant... just an opinion. He has a point, though- although the official forecast still has it beelining for Texas, the last few frames indicate an eastward shift. I think all he is trying to say is that no one- including the NO area- is quite out of the realm of possibility yet.

--------------------
The key to a good life is higher thought. Challenge yourself, push your personal limits and go for the brass ring!

heynow
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Abbeville, LA
Re: east of where it should be by 60 miles [Re: pryord1]
      #56321 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:32 PM

And the broader point being that NOLA cannot, I repeat, cannot withstand the surge that this storm will bring. Even if NOLA is not in the cone, the affects of Rita could make things much worse in the city. NOLA cannot even withstand a couple of days of hard rain right now.

--------------------
I've lived through Danny ('85), Juan ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05) and Gustav ('08).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 80741

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center