F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
cmiller324

Reged: Wed
Saffir-Simpson Scale
      #56384 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:47 PM

Maybe this has been covered before but as you can see, I'm new here.
Why is it that hurrican intensity/classification stops at Catergory 5? With this seasons storms there could possible be Cat 6 & Cat 7.
Just a question.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: SW FL
Re: Saffir-Simpson Scale [Re: cmiller324]
      #57602 - Mon Oct 03 2005 12:09 AM

A Cat 5, whether it be 160 mph or 200 mph, is going to cause catastrophic damage wherever makes landfall. It's simply unnecessary to go above Cat 5. They are rare enough as it is(hard to say after two in one year, but they are definetly rare) so to make a Cat 6 wouldn't change much. Plus, 5 is just so much 'nicer' of a number to end at then 6.

the young weatherman
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: Saffir-Simpson Scale [Re: Myles]
      #59709 - Wed Oct 19 2005 08:05 PM

I'd say they would consider the idea of adding Cat 6 right now, we already have three storms this year with wind of more than 175, enough for a new "Cat 6" . If there will be more harsher hurricanes in the future, I think there should be a Cat 6.

--------------------
Bow down to the The youngest Meoteorologist on Earth!!!!!!! MauHaHa!
You wanna see my lastest forecast for severe weather?
CLick Here

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Saffir-Simpson Scale [Re: the young weatherman]
      #63078 - Tue Oct 25 2005 02:05 PM

I saw an intersting article the other day about a possible change to the category system for hurricanes. Basically, there is a proposal to make a decimal system, so that we could have a Category 4.3 and a Category 4.8 as two different strength systems.

This article describes both the history of the scale and the proposal for a new category system: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9767275/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4911

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center