F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: Sportsfreak1989s]
      #56707 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:36 AM

everybody did this with Katrina, changed their minds over every wobble. you have to look at the days track and the models clustering usually is good indication. It will do the normal north turn as 90% of them do in this area and hit that la/tx border like NHC is saying. Joe b just never backs off a position. He' s rarely accurate but when he is , he says it over and over.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #56709 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:38 AM

Quote:

Exactly what is the possibility of this thing coming within 20-30 miles of Lafayette, Louisiana ? I have been "iffy" about the track to the Houston area. I just don't see it going there for some reason. I think it is going to hit Port Author or some where east of it. Im getting pretty worried about it coming to Lafayette. I don't wanna go to sleep tonight because I don't feel like waking up and having this thing on a more easternly track and back up to a Cat. 5; because thats what seems to happen to me everytime I lay my head down for 6-8 hours.

But where ever it hits.... god bless all.

well the last 2 hrs she has went almost due west.I dont wish it anywhere but really dont want to see it hit Gal Hou as this will only help the oil traders who are holding oil stocks.But i would wait on the 11pm update and see then see what they say.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: Robert]
      #56710 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:39 AM

Here is an interesting link to the TAOS wind model on the current landfall prediction by NHC:

TAOS Model

Don't forget that it is just a model of the current track forecast. It will change.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: jr928]
      #56711 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:40 AM

This is the nervous time, where everyone starts trying to figure exactly where a storm will go, tomorrow night we'll find out. But in any case it won't matter much, the area that gets hit and to the east of it will be pounded, the area south and west will be as too, just not so much with the extreme surge.

Angle of approach, forward motion, and position along with tide timing will be the major factors with Rita. Rita's pressure is up a little bit, but I think it will hold around here, or weaken some more overnight.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #56712 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:40 AM

It is becoming clear to me that Rita peaked 24 hours ago and is in fact leveling off during the day this evening as a category 4. I think warm eddies or heat sink, it is too difficult to ascertain if these differences are having quantifiable impacts with regard to her structure very readily. Hurricanes over very warm water can have disrupted intensities in lieu of the mechanics of EWRCs. Moreover, where the water is "cool" we are still talking 81, 82-ish, which isn't exactly floated ice-bergs... We may be making too much out of this, particularly when said eyewall mechanics (events that top scientists readily admit they no very little about) have much more discernable affects by the hour.

In any case, I grew suspicious of cat-5 return, but not impossible...

Jonathan Franklin
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Patience and caution [Re: jr928]
      #56713 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:40 AM

I've enjoyed reading everyone's 2 cents here. Here's 2 more, the turn North may not come as soon, and it may still skirt slightly more West than current predictions.

May all who are in front of this find safety!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: BillD]
      #56714 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:44 AM

I've just spent about an hour trying to understand the different steering currents. I get it now.

OK there is undoubtably some stairstepping element to the movement along the ridge of high pressure, but the westward movement is because the high has started moving to the northeast, pivoting around the NW corner of Louisiana (I think in about 12 hours it'll be over Arkansas and Missouri), and has given ground on the west of Rita, so now it is allowing more of a westward movement, but less northward movement.

The interesting thing is, please correct me if I'm wrong, that if Rita stays very strong, the stronger she stays the more of a W movement will occur and the landfall point will go back to SW of Galveston.

Eventually she'll be curving around the SW side of the ridge and moving north along the western side of the ridge, to make landfall.

I'm not sure but it looks like the more she weakens, the more she can edge a little northward in this process?

Note: on the sat wv loop, you can see the convection forming mainly to the south, I am presuming over the eddy of the loop current. Notice in the more recent recons that the temps have gone up. I trhink the completion of the ERC is going to go a lot faster, after some time over these warmer waters, with additional convection. The west movement will allow more time in those waters.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

TejasTiger

Reged:
Re: Patience and caution [Re: Jonathan Franklin]
      #56715 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:45 AM

Hey folks, great site you have here.

I'm a newbie who---drumroll---made the failed attempt to evacuate from Houston (I'm in west-central Houston) to the east very early this morning (at that time, I thought I was safe in doing so), turned back due to lack of gas, and now am getting worried that this storm will move more west than north and plow over my city.

Anyways, I love all of your conjecture and info. I'm learning quite a bit in an abstract sense, but for all practical purposes youse guys are scaring the crap out of me with the discussion about the westward jog(s).

Ugh.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #56716 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:45 AM

It's odd to see such a sharp and concentric presentation of an eye feature in the IR (not a coincident of cloud motion) presentation and than have the vortex message say INNER EYEWALL RAGGED AND OPEN S-E...

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Patience and caution [Re: TejasTiger]
      #56717 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:46 AM

Do you have shutters on your home? If not and the storm does come to Gal/Houston..you should be concerned.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Patience and caution [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #56718 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:49 AM

...Extremely dangerous category four Hurricane Rita continues
west-northwestward toward the southwestern Louisiana and Upper
Texas coasts...
A Hurricane Warning is in effect from Port O'Connor Texas to Morgan
City Louisiana. A Hurricane Warning means that hurricane conditions
are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours.
Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to
completion.

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the southeastern coast of
Louisiana east of Morgan City to the mouth of the Pearl River
including metropolitan New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain....and
from south of Port O'Connor to Port Mansfield Texas. A Tropical
Storm Warning means that tropical storm conditions are expected
within the warning area within the next 24 hours.

A tropical storm watch remains in effect from south of Port
Mansfield to Brownsville Texas...and for the northeastern coast of
Mexico from Rio San Fernando northward to the Rio Grande.
A tropical storm watch means that tropical storm conditions are
possible within the watch area...generally within 36 hours.

For storm information specific to your area...including possible
inland watches and warnings...please monitor products issued
by your local weather office.

At 10 PM CDT...0300z...the center of Hurricane Rita was located near
latitude 26.2 north... longitude 90.3 west or about 350 miles...
560 km... southeast of Galveston Texas and about 310 miles... 495
km...southeast of Cameron Louisiana.

Rita is moving toward the west-northwest near 10 mph...17 km/hr. A
gradual turn toward the northwest is expected during the next 24
hours. On this track...the core of Rita will be approaching the
southwest Louisiana and Upper Texas coasts late Friday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 140 mph...220 km/hr...with higher
gusts. Rita is an extremely dangerous category four hurricane on
the Saffir-Simpson scale. Some fluctuations in strength are
expected during the next 24 hours.

Edited by ralphfl (Fri Sep 23 2005 02:53 AM)

Jonathan Franklin
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Strengthening... [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #56719 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:50 AM

I know most everyone has this storm steadying or weakening, but seems like there is the potential for it to get up a little more steam. Just too many irregularities with this one.

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56720 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:51 AM

Quote:

What area would be called a Non-Life Threatening area? Have they gone mad?

I believe his comments are in response to what has become a monumental traffic jam on the roads leading away from the Houston area. People are sitting in parking lot mode and running out of gas. The Houston mayor is attempting to get army help to airlift stocks of gasoline to strategic spots along the highway to refuel cars that are blocking the roadways. But the point is, it may be that anybody left in Houston simply can't leave now without risking being caught on the highways in the storm.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #56721 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:51 AM

Quote:

It's odd to see such a sharp and concentric presentation of an eye feature in the IR (not a coincident of cloud motion) presentation and than have the vortex message say INNER EYEWALL RAGGED AND OPEN S-E...

The vortex was at 01:44 and the last IR frame I'm viewing is at 01:45. I would say the eyewall is open W-E, if at all... although I think it looks like it's just not as high cloudtops. Guess that's why they fly the planes.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #56722 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:51 AM

11pm closer to the TX/LA border:

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Patience and caution [Re: ralphfl]
      #56723 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:51 AM

drops 10 more and its down to a 3...........Track the same

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #56724 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:51 AM

Quote:

Exactly what is the possibility of this thing coming within 20-30 miles of Lafayette, Louisiana ?

If you live south of I-10 in the Lafayette area, and for that matter...
South of I-10 From Lafayette/ Baton Rouge to the Houston area. Please leave as soon as you can.
Acadiana Will be in the NE Quadrant of Rita.
Probability of 100 mph winds for 3 hours or more.
Depending on her forward speed.
Take your important papers with you. And throw the breakers to OFF at your power meter. If you don't feel comfortable doing that. Then turn eveything off at your inside breaker panel.

Andrew came close to flattening Acadiana in 1992. This storm will be at or above Andrew's windspeed at landfall...even without a direct hit.

The storm is forecast to stall, after moving inland.
The Atchafalaya River will certainly go to and possibly above flood stage.
Hindering rescue and recovery efforts.
Tidal surges near the coastline will wipe out roads and bridges (based on Katrina's damage).
Further hindering rescue and recovery efforts.
Not to mention Power Co. crews.

If you are in an area that has water standing after a thunderstorm moves through. I would seriously-Get Out.

I haven't heard how the Corpus Christi area is. For the TX viewers it might be an option.

WWL Radio 870 has excellant coverage...always does.
You don't have to go to the Interstates to evacuate. Take the State Highways and go North. You can get on the Interstates later.
Alexandria, Shreveport, Monroe..even Vidalia and possibly Natchez.
Don't try Mississippi...All of the rooms south of Jackson are taken. And rescue and recovery crews from the MS Gulf Coast are being evacuated temporarily to safer locations inland.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #56725 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:53 AM

And the AL/MS border is now in the long-range cone!?!?!? Does the NHC really think this thing could go southeast after landfall?????

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by danielw (Fri Sep 23 2005 02:59 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Patience and caution [Re: Hugh]
      #56726 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:56 AM

Well look a the guidence, Hugh - almost every one of them is recurving toward the coast now!

Not pretty if it stalls over TX.

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf [Re: danielw]
      #56727 - Fri Sep 23 2005 02:56 AM

This storm will be at or above Andrew's windspeed at landfall...even without a direct hit.

What was Andrew when it hit there? cause this storm can (most likely not) but can drop more yet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51555

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center